New bushcraft magazine issues legal warning...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
bushcraftmag is a member (I looked in the list), but no posts.
It may have been deleted, if he did post.
Before the whole moderation thing flares again, remember this is a privately owned website. Everyone posting has to comply with the rules. Admin/mods can remove anything they feel like.

I don't really get your point spoony - who else would send spam for a magazine but the owners/workers/someone with an interest in the magazine?

The email I saw on BB purported (I use that word because it's very easy to fake the address an email came from) to be from simon at bushcraft mag or some such.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
scanker said:
bushcraftmag is a member (I looked in the list), but no posts.
It may have been deleted, if he did post.
Before the whole moderation thing flares again, remember this is a privately owned website. Everyone posting has to comply with the rules. Admin/mods can remove anything they feel like.

I don't really get your point spoony - who else would spam a magazine but the owners/workers/someone with an interest in the magazine? The email I saw on BB purported (I use that word because it's very easy to fake the address an email came from) to be from simon at bushcraft mag or some such.

no you wouldnt get my point nor will a lot of others, but you did hit the nail on the head in your opening few words above. Infact you said it all thanks.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well I'm going offline now, so won't be able to respond further, but if you don't explain your point, how on earth will anyone ever understand it? :confused:

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
As I understand it, his response on this site contained a fair degree of advertising, which this site has never tolerated.

You asked for where his response was, and you've been pointed at where it available to see.

*I* wasn't spammed.
*I* could care less about spam as I have a shed load of filters including Bayesian stuff which take out about 70-100 day to my domain.
I do, however, object to people threatening action against any forum in which I have an interest.
I vote with my wallet.
Part of that, is I recommend people who I like dealing with. The other part is if I don't like the way someone does business, I point that out too.

spoony, you've been all veiled as to what you think this is about.
AFAIK you're a regular guy, but I really don't want to hear any more of thsi mysterious stuff.
I never thought I'd find occasion to use this link but I have.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
soa_uk said:
As I understand it, his response on this site contained a fair degree of advertising, which this site has never tolerated.

You asked for where his response was, and you've been pointed at where it available to see.

*I* wasn't spammed.
*I* could care less about spam as I have a shed load of filters including Bayesian stuff which take out about 70-100 day to my domain.
I do, however, object to people threatening action against any forum in which I have an interest.
I vote with my wallet.
Part of that, is I recommend people who I like dealing with. The other part is if I don't like the way someone does business, I point that out too.

spoony, you've been all veiled as to what you think this is about.
AFAIK you're a regular guy, but I really don't want to hear any more of thsi mysterious stuff.
I never thought I'd find occasion to use this link but I have.

So was it different to this then??

"Hello to all British Blades members from Bushcraft & Survival Skills Magazine, I have not had much opportunity to explore this site but am sure that it is a great resource to the bushcraft community. We do not feel that our magazine is in any way a threat to this site or any similar forums and can only hope that with your support and input is another great resource for the Bushcraft Community.

After a weekend out in the woods I have come back to find comments about alleged spam that we have sent out. We have purposely not used any forums to promote or advertise ourselves in any way we wish to succeed on our own merits in a legitimate way. I write at this time not to promote our magazine as you are already aware of its existence but to answer allegations of us spamming members of forums. Firstly I wish to point out that unless they can be backed up by fact the claims are allegations and non-conclusive. We will not enter into any debate on this matter on the British Blades site but if you have any queries you can contact us at info@bushcraftmagazine.co.uk

I apologise if any of you have had unwanted contact, Tony from B.C.U.K. informed me in an email that he has had a few complaints and we have been contacted by two members asking where we got their addresses from. I can assure you that we have only mailed out to people who have registered on our website, entered the competition, or have made contact with us. Through my research I am aware that people have been registering on behalf of their friends and that people have been forwarding our promotional emails on to their friends / contacts. Obviously this is out of our hands - as unless they have the expressed permission of the person being registered it is not permitted. We will do all that we can to discourage this.

I am also aware of thoughts that we have used another bushcraft companies mailing list. Firstly I can assure you that this is not the case and secondly it would still be illegal to mail out to them electronically by email. We have thought of doing some joint mailings through the post in future months and may well do so.

I appreciate your frustration as I get plagued by spam even with filtering software installed, I don't mind so much if it is relevant to my interests but 99.9% of the time it is not and just consumes my time. I assure you that we do not spam and infact we are registered with the data commissioner and take a serious stance on this, not to mention that spamming is illegal! Furthermore it can hinder our promotions - as you are aware there have been threads about a handful of people having been supposedly 'spammed' by us. You can see by the way that we are presented that we are by no means a 'cheap' or 'shoddy outfit' and our company will always operate in a legal and professional manner.

From checking our system one of the people allegedly spammed and another listing a thread, had entries in the 'Win a Basha' competition? The purpose of any competition is to either make money from an entrance fee or collect data for marketing purposes. Details of our competitions are on the terms page of our website http://www.bushcraftmagazine.co.uk/terms.html and all promotional emails come with an unsubscribe option as required by law. By unsubscribing you will receive no further mailings from us. Again as contained in our terms we do not pass your data onto any third parties.

Once again, sorry if you have had unwanted contact; I hope that it does not stop you from looking at our magazine and benefiting from all that it offers. Bushcraft has been a passion of mine for many years and it is great to see it's profile being raised through books, T.V., forums and magazines.

Should you wish to register for info you can do so via the website.

All the best,

Simon."

Wheres all the advertising in that lot?? oh here we go, look everyone do what i did put him on ignore, grow up man.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I think one of the reasons people are feeling so sensitive about this is that yes, we all get spam, but mostly it is impossible (well, impracticle) to trace the source. However, in this case the source/sender of unsolicited mail is obvious, so people are taking this opportunity to raise their concerns about spam while they have someone they can direct it towards...

But I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Hellz

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think it would be best in the interests of the forum if those who have a gripe with the magazine keep it private and off the board. This has turned into a fair bit of speculation without evidence and it is wrong to put the wrong impression on those who are interested in such a magazine (several people have already stated they couldn't care less about the product) over something so trivial. Yes I agree he has been overly aggressive in response but if I was accused of breaking the law when I was certain I was not and lose considerable custom through it I would be annoyed too.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
for those who were asking where the Bushcraftmg's explanation on this forum was i quote Tony on British Blades

Tony said:
I've just removed it, fair enough it explains the situation but it's more advertising than anyone else is allowed. I'm presuming that those in receipt of the email will also have each received this email.

..and its his forum and his decision :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Interesting debate. It seems to becoming a bit of a farce. Espy is well within his rights to want to confront people wasting his time by sending spam. I should not need the various filters and spyware software i currently run. We all need to take action to prevent the net being clogged my useless emails. How much does spam cost the economy in wasted labour?

Spoony you obviously have some issues relating to people on this site, Feel free to air your views here or on your own forum. Many people are members of both.

I think many people on here would have subscribed to several mags. Many have chosen to become Full members here eventhough they can access most of the content for free,

Bushcrafters are by their nature are independant minded people who tend to react badly to bullies. The UK thankfully is not yet the US where we dive into court at the drop of a hat. Threathening legal action is not the best response to an already inflamed situation.

I respectfully suggest that we all take time to relax.

I am sure Simon is watching these threads with some anxiety. Please could you give us your side of the story.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
spoony said:
So was it different to this then??

"Hello to all British Blades members from Bushcraft & Survival Skills Magazine, I have not had much opportunity to explore this site but am sure that it is a great resource to the bushcraft community. We do not feel that our magazine is in any way a threat to this site or any similar forums and can only hope that with your support and input is another great resource for the Bushcraft Community.

After a weekend out in the woods I have come back to find comments about alleged spam that we have sent out. We have purposely not used any forums to promote or advertise ourselves in any way we wish to succeed on our own merits in a legitimate way. I write at this time not to promote our magazine as you are already aware of its existence but to answer allegations of us spamming members of forums. Firstly I wish to point out that unless they can be backed up by fact the claims are allegations and non-conclusive. We will not enter into any debate on this matter on the British Blades site but if you have any queries you can contact us at info@bushcraftmagazine.co.uk

I apologise if any of you have had unwanted contact, Tony from B.C.U.K. informed me in an email that he has had a few complaints and we have been contacted by two members asking where we got their addresses from. I can assure you that we have only mailed out to people who have registered on our website, entered the competition, or have made contact with us. Through my research I am aware that people have been registering on behalf of their friends and that people have been forwarding our promotional emails on to their friends / contacts. Obviously this is out of our hands - as unless they have the expressed permission of the person being registered it is not permitted. We will do all that we can to discourage this.

I am also aware of thoughts that we have used another bushcraft companies mailing list. Firstly I can assure you that this is not the case and secondly it would still be illegal to mail out to them electronically by email. We have thought of doing some joint mailings through the post in future months and may well do so.

I appreciate your frustration as I get plagued by spam even with filtering software installed, I don't mind so much if it is relevant to my interests but 99.9% of the time it is not and just consumes my time. I assure you that we do not spam and infact we are registered with the data commissioner and take a serious stance on this, not to mention that spamming is illegal! Furthermore it can hinder our promotions - as you are aware there have been threads about a handful of people having been supposedly 'spammed' by us. You can see by the way that we are presented that we are by no means a 'cheap' or 'shoddy outfit' and our company will always operate in a legal and professional manner.

From checking our system one of the people allegedly spammed and another listing a thread, had entries in the 'Win a Basha' competition? The purpose of any competition is to either make money from an entrance fee or collect data for marketing purposes. Details of our competitions are on the terms page of our website http://www.bushcraftmagazine.co.uk/terms.html and all promotional emails come with an unsubscribe option as required by law. By unsubscribing you will receive no further mailings from us. Again as contained in our terms we do not pass your data onto any third parties.

Once again, sorry if you have had unwanted contact; I hope that it does not stop you from looking at our magazine and benefiting from all that it offers. Bushcraft has been a passion of mine for many years and it is great to see it's profile being raised through books, T.V., forums and magazines.

Should you wish to register for info you can do so via the website.

All the best,

Simon."

Wheres all the advertising in that lot?? oh here we go, look everyone do what i did put him on ignore, grow up man.

Aye that was pretty much it, but it is considerably more publicity than any other company gets.

I hope you don't think that this is all a ploy by bcuk to eliminate their rivals, bcuk haven't even finished producing a prototype yet and we don't know any of the details of how they will be distributed, don't jump the gun. Tony and the team have more ethics than that!

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Wayne said:
Interesting debate. It seems to becoming a bit of a farce. Espy is well within his rights to want to confront people wasting his time by sending spam. I should not need the various filters and spyware software i currently run. We all need to take action to prevent the net being clogged my useless emails. How much does spam cost the economy in wasted labour?

Spoony you obviously have some issues relating to people on this site, Feel free to air your views here or on your own forum. Many people are members of both.

I think many people on here would have subscribed to several mags. Many have chosen to become Full members here eventhough they can access most of the content for free,

Bushcrafters are by their nature are independant minded people who tend to react badly to bullies. The UK thankfully is not yet the US where we dive into court at the drop of a hat. Threathening legal action is not the best response to an already inflamed situation.

I respectfully suggest that we all take time to relax.

I am sure Simon is watching these threads with some anxiety. Please could you give us your side of the story.

he did but it was erm deleted,

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
ah hell it dont matter, i just wanted to see the other side of the story, no digs at anyone or this site, just a lot of folk are ready to jump on the bandwagon with out hearing both sides of the story,

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE