New boy needs some kit advice - go on you know you want to

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
Hello all,

I've been enjoying reading a lot of the old threads and gaining some great insights and advice, kind of like browsing a library.

Having taken a weeks woodlore I'm keen to equip myself with some good base kit and could use your advice/opinions. The specific bits of kit that I want to invest in are;

1 Good all round boots - Lowa Alpine ??
2 Sleeping bag for UK - do I need 2 for all seasons?? + I'm over 6ft and broad at the shoulder so need something a little roomy and tend to sleep quite hot
3 Tarp/Hootchie - really prefer this over a tent, not overly worried about weight. Thinking of one small for fine weather and one larger when I'm expecing precipitation.
4 Knife - I'd like to invest in a blank and shape the handle myself.

I'll be searching across the threads now I've registered but all input will be most appreciated.

6F2

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hello all,

I've been enjoying reading a lot of the old threads and gaining some great insights and advice, kind of like browsing a library.

Having taken a weeks woodlore I'm keen to equip myself with some good base kit and could use your advice/opinions. The specific bits of kit that I want to invest in are;

1 Good all round boots - Lowa Alpine ??
2 Sleeping bag for UK - do I need 2 for all seasons?? + I'm over 6ft and broad at the shoulder so need something a little roomy and tend to sleep quite hot
3 Tarp/Hootchie - really prefer this over a tent, not overly worried about weight. Thinking of one small for fine weather and one larger when I'm expecing precipitation.
4 Knife - I'd like to invest in a blank and shape the handle myself.

I'll be searching across the threads now I've registered but all input will be most appreciated.

6F2

1) Try as many types and makes as you can.Start with an open mind and take your time.
2)Go to a shop that lets you try the bag "on".Decide first when you will be out,i.e. what time of year,what countries.Then pick a bag or bags that suit your needs.
3)Already decided.
4)Try a few out to find out the shape and size that suit you best.Start with the old favourite,Mora,cheap and cheerfull.You can learn to use and care for your sharps without wasting time and energy,then buy a good blank from a good maker(BB is rotten with them:) ).
Good luck and above all,enjoy yourself.

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
1) Saw a few of the boys wearing these on the course when the rains came down and wondered if they are the boot of choice for the coller seasons
2) Predominantly UK and W Europe, autumn and winter, any suggestions of good staples appreciated as there are so many I don't know where to start.
3) Ebay...online shop, any reccomendations
4) Have a Mora and have now honed (scuse pun) my sharpening technique to the point of looking for something full tang I can put a handle together on

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Here's my two peneth,

1. Boots. Very important piece of kit, best not to skimp on the cost. Many different types but fall into two (broad) catagories; lined and unlined. If your going for boots that have a lot of stitching or joins, and your going to be using them in predominantly cold, wet environment, you probably be best going for a gortex or Sympatex lined boot. If, on the otherhand, your looking for a year round boot, i'd go for a leather unlined boot with few, if any, seams and treat them with a proofer, the one i use is Nikwax Aqueous wax. The leather should resist water and when it does get wet, it will dry out quicker on an unlined boot. I personally find that Goretex linings in late spring through to early winter tend to make my feet sweat, but are a godsend in winter early spring. Try as many as you can because ill fitting, unsuitable boots can be a misery.

2. I'd plump for a 3 season bag myself, but you've got to ask the question, do you sleep hot or cold? You could do worse than a Nanok -10, though they are getting a little scarce now. If money is no object, a lighter one like the issue warm weather bag is good for the warmer times of year, but again, try them out, some close fitting bag's work well, but i find them constrictive.

3. Budget, an issue tarp would be fine for solo shelters, but there are Tatonka, DD Tarps and Decathlon ones as well as Quecha. You pays your money, you takes your chance, but everyone has an opinion.

4. Knife blanks are available here and on the British Blades Forums. Alternativley, try SWC for a knife kit, Steve is open to discussion so if you want a different spec, dimensions etc, he's happy to oblige. Reasonably priced and top quality. Also, keep an eye out for Mick Spain, Shing, and many of the other contributors on here, they've usually got some blanks available.

Finally, you can get good stuff cheap and you can get some expensive rubbish. If your on a budget it's probably best to get the best you can afford. Searching this forum will turn up some cracking ideas from people who go out and use the stuff, not people who are trying to sell you something. It's always good to get a real world perspective from people in the know but at the end of the day, it's your call.

Hope this helps:)

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
1) Boots - I get mine fitted for me at a Cotswold Outdoor Store, go in without any preconceptions and let them recommend a boot for your needs and your foot shape.
2) Sleeping Bags - I use a three season down bag in spring, summer and autumn, and a five season in winter. There are lots of good brands and retailers. Synthetic insulation is possibly better suited to the british climate. It may also be worth checking out ex army ones that can be cheap and cheerful (also good quality).
3) Tarp - Tatonka do ones which are cotton/synthetic mis I believe (I could be wrong!) to resist sparks. The ex army ones are excellent. Have a trawl through evilbay and the web.
4) Knife - Various people sell kits with everything you need including sheath materials Tamarack Outdoors spring to mind. (I have one half finished in the garage).

I have no connections to any retailers mentioned.

A good trip to the army surplus store should sort out two or three of your items (they often sell new boots too).

Good luck

Stewey.:D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Much has already been said. I would look at:

1. Lowa boots (more technical) or Rogue Trans Africa (less technical)
2. The Nanok -10 IMHO is a great bag and rated 3 season. If you sleep hot you won't need anything else even in winter except a thermarest (or similar) insulation. You can get a budget bag later for next summer.
3. Have a look at a Tatonka 3m x 3m . A good all round tarp in either poly (lightweight) or poly cotton (a bit heavier but more fire-resistant). Cheaper is fine but don't expect them to last as long.
4. Sorry - can't help here.

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When buying boots, go in the afternoon. May sound like starnge advice, but I'll explain why. Your foot is relaxed and narrower after a good nights sleep, so after walking a couple of miles before going to try boots on, your feet will adopt their normal shape and width. It's not by much, but it could make the difference between comfortable and pinching boots. Also, take the socks you will be wearing with the boots. No point wearing thin sport or dress socks to try the boots on, getting a perfect fit and then getting home and putting thick woolen socks on!

It's pretty common sense, but it can be over looked. Of the two bits of kit, boots and bags (sleeping) are probably the most important bits of kit, you spend a lot of time in both. Crap sleeping bag equals crap sleep, add crap boots to that and you'll be miserable and probably jack the whole outdoors thing in pretty quick!

Good luck with your choices.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Choosing boots;don't spend less than an hour when you are trying on different types.

As Spamel says,boots are very important to your comfort and wellbeing.If possible go to a big retailer,like George Fisher,who have a wide range of boots and very knowledgeable staff who can advise you.

6F2

Sep 7, 2007
Great advice, thank you for your input all !

EDIT On the sleeping bag I'll have to browse and find a few, I generally sleep hot and am going to need something reasonably wide, my wife has just bought me a bag for my birthday and at 80cm wide and a Mummy" design it's very/too constricting around the shoulders and arms so it's going back in lieu of something a little larger. It's a dual layer one where you can remove the liner/blanket inside so would have been good for a variety of seasons.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Snugpak bags are good, and you can get an extender to fit, thus making the bag wider. Go to the shop, take your shoes off and get in. If the sellers object, take your custom elsewhere. It is important that you are gonna be comfortable in the bag as you will be spending a third of your time out in there, maybe even more if you are a lazy git!

:D

leon-1

1. Boots. this is a question that could cause so many problems as they are very much a case of "One man's meat is another man's poison". I like Lowa's, if you can get them without gore-tex, all the better.

As the boys have said spend a day on your paws and then go in and get them fitted, try and wear the same type of sock that you will be likely to wear with the boot when getting them fitted as well.

2. Sleeping bags. "Oh God no". This is nearly as controversial as boots. If you have good discipline and think that you will keep it dry go for a down bag, they pack smaller and lighter than synthetics and have a better warmth to weight ratio with it.

There is a number of people who like Snugpak bags and there are a number who dislike them, it depends on whether you sleep warm or not, I have one of their bags and have not had any complaints with it. I also own a down bag which I love to bits and it is my normal choice of sleeping bag. Mentioning Down bags I have to give AlpKit a mention as their series of bags are looking very good, but I have no personal experience of them, speak to Scanker who owns one.

3. Tarps, look for Tatonka or Kathmandu as they tend to make some pretty light and reasonable sized tarps. See if you can get a 7mm cord for the ridgeline and prefit the cords and prussik loops before hand.

4. I am a big fan of the Fallkniven range, once I would have said try the F1, but now I will say look at the F1 and the WM1. If they don't float your boat then look into getting one of the Frosts Laplander as good cheap blade blank. Other options include the Enzo trapper or Hunter and Eklund.

feisty

Sep 2, 2007
I don't have any ideas on boots but have to recommend the u.s. army sleep system; a thin and a thicker sleeping bag with a goretex bivvi bag that is made as a matched set, useful for all environments and they say is possible to sleep in down to -40!! I'm not huge, like most u.s. forces, but I find it enormous and very wide across the shoulders, even my two terriers can get in as well! I got mine from a british e-bayer but I have seen the u.s. sellers advertising that they would post to the u.k. Cost wise very good, all this in a stuff sack for £95, not bad eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE