New bow for my nephew.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all :)

Been a while since i had chance to get some bow scraping done but i did manage to finish a bow for my nephew. Its about 30lbs at 22 inch and i did pull it out to 27 and its fine. With the recurves and thin limbs its a little rocket. Its wych elm again,, finished with some "wood from the ???? wood pile" tip overlays. The black leather handle is just an off cut from an old sofa which was made up to its thickness with other scraps of leather. Its a right laugh to shoot :) Just got to get some arrows sorted for him. Loads of pics :eek:

bench.jpg

oldbench2.jpg

standing.jpg

tiptoms.jpg

grip.jpg

full-1.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks. Didnt have much choice on profile, it was from a runt of a stave that had pretty bad drying checks on the back so it was all that was left of usefull stave :( Its a snappy little thing though at low draw lenght, must be the bends :)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
that is absolutely fanflipingtastic infact gorgeous ... you are a star.. that's the bow i (as someone who wants to make bows ) wants to make.
whats the wood that's on the tips?.. and did you steam and form the recurves ? if so why are there no photos of the process!!! because that would be magic :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry but i dont have any pictures of the process, keep meaning to take some but always forget :(
The wood on the overlays is some kind of burl, maybe coolibah? (sp?) not sure. I did steam if the recurves, no great trick to it just knock up a form, steam over a pan of water for half hour and then bend away. Hardest part with recurves for me is getting the string aligned. Pain in the £$%£$%

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Like it a lot. Lovely shape. Well done.
Must get round to scraping soon, but busy with another project at the mo...Just got myself an Apache canoe kit, so pottering with that...

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Like it a lot. Lovely shape. Well done.
Must get round to scraping soon, but busy with another project at the mo...Just got myself an Apache canoe kit, so pottering with that...

oooo Apache canoe, now thats gonna be fun. You have to get some pictures up of the progress.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE