New boots, new blisters :-(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the sound of those socks...........gonna have a look and see what I can find :D

I walk around barefooted most of the time, but outside my gardens I wear shoes or boots.
I walked a midnight hike with the scouts when I was in my teens. I had to take the next day off school for the blisters to settle. My dad, who drew like Biker, drew on the back of my absence note a sketch of me sprawled out on my bed, feet dangling off the end in a basin of water, steam rising and a blissed out expression on my face :rolleyes: My husband was a new-minted teacher back then and he minded that note being passed round the staff room to great hilarity :eek:
Boots have 'always' hurt :( doesn't matter how much I spend on them either, they're always a pain someway or other.
Should have known that this pair felt too good in the shop for it to be true :(

atb,
M

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Try either the 1000 mile socks (double layer, inner is thin and slippy, outer is thicker), or my personal choice - the bridgedale liner socks, and a pair of quality outer ones (which is a bit more versatile and cheaper if you already have good quality hiking socks). The premise is that the thin socks rub against the thick socks instead of your skin rubbing against the sock.

Other things you can try (as you mention)- taping up with Zinc Oxide and cracking on till (hopefully) they are broken in.

Additionally, and I don't think this has been mentioned yet, try something called 'Bodyglide'. It's a stick, looks a bit like solid deoderant, that you apply onto areas that rub. Good for chaffing between legs, but also work on feet to prevent rubbing. I use them between my toes and it has cured my blisters there. Try applying to your heel and see how you go. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyglide-Body-Glide-12-8grams/dp/B002BSKUN6/ref=pd_cp_ap_1 One stick of it lasts absolutely ages.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now, I have a tube of scholl stuff that's supposed to work like that; I'd forgotten about it, and will go and find it :) (edit, just found it, it's a compeed, anti blister stick, "Invisibly helps prevent Blisters and Chafing") :D :D
Do not use on ezisting blisters though.

I'm allergic to zinc oxide, break out in a wet itchy rash under it, so a lot of strapping tapes are a no go. The big compeed hydrogel plasters are brilliant though :D

1,000 mile socks :) another thing to have a search for. I'm really hoping I can get this pair to the stage that one pair of socks and I'm good in them. I've got thin silk ones that I wear under my heavier ones when working in my boots all day, supposedly to do what those ones sound like, but if they're all in one, I'm tempted :)

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I walked a midnight hike with the scouts when I was in my teens. I had to take the next day off school for the blisters to settle. My dad, who drew like Biker, drew on the back of my absence note a sketch of me sprawled out on my bed, feet dangling off the end in a basin of water, steam rising and a blissed out expression on my face

That's going to a Bushcraft Betty drawing some day Mary. Thanks for the inspiration... and the comparison.

Those 1,000 mile socks The Lord Poncho describes sound about what I was suggesting. Good luck dear lady, persevere.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Blisters are caused by friction, plain and simple. You need to eliminate the friction and Vaseline is very good at this.
Cover your feet in vaseline, wear an old pair of socks on top and go out for walk in your new boots. It works for me.

It sounds to me like Toddy is suffering from a 'hammer' effect (I've had this too) - the heel slopping around in the boot and each step hammering into the heel.
This could be because the boots aren't quite shaped for your feet. Padding would probably be the best option here should you wish to stick with the boots.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
p.s. piddling in your boots just softens the leather with liquid and ammonia, you can buy commercial softeners that won't leave you stinking like an incontinent jaikie.

Problem is that pee also contains salt which causes leather to become dry and brittle.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I used to get real problems with heel rubbing in some boots and found that engo blister pads helped (no affiliation!). These are very low friction coated stickers that you stick in the boot where you are getting the rubbing. I think I got them in a running shop.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
pair of thin socks underneath normal socks

the thin pair acts like an extra layer of skin saving your heels, my scarpa m3 were a right bitch to break in

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Same problem but with doc martens, soaked boots mold to feet helped i was walking uphill to work. Every pair of army boots were done the same way, except the altbergs they molded them at the factory.:thinkerg:

Bridgedale do a liner sock if you find the 1000miles expensive.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I use thorlo socks but it sounds like you have movement. Maybe pad the boot near the heel with thin rubber eg old inner tube covered in gaffer tape. Your heel should not move as much.

I always tighten boots right up, then as my feet heat up and get bigger, slightly slacken.

Nobody has exactly the same size feet right and left.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
t1234, those sound interesting pads, I'll have a looksee.

I know I was over optimistic that I could walk right off in new boots (for me, that is, I bruise and blister if you look at me the wrong way), but these just felt so comfortable I thought I'd try it.
Usually it's the two pairs of socks for months :sigh: I was really hoping for a pair that just slipped on, zipped up, and were good to go.
Sod's law.

I gave away a pair of green leather Docs; I just could not get them soft enough at all :sigh: beautiful boots too. At my size I couldn't even bend them.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE