New birch bow. Lots of poor pictures x posted

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

The is my latest bow made from silver birch. I heard a lot of bad things about birch for bow making, strong in tension, weak in compression etc. However it seemed to turn out ok. The set is about 1 inch on one limb and about 1,3/4 on the other due to a deflexed limb. I heat treated it a little but upon reflection a little more to reduce set would have been handy.
Birch was pretty unforgiving in regards to tiller, if one limb was a little off the other would chrystal.

She is about 62 inch ntn, and drawing about 55lbs at my draw of around 28inch. A bit snakey due to the grain and knots. Treated only with boiled linseed and a re-claimed leather handle which bends just a little.
Shoots sweet, fast and hard.

Pictures are just from my camera phone as my other is on the blink..

Top limb

IMAG0005-1.jpg

bottom limb

IMAG0343.jpg

braced
IMAG0012-1.jpg

back
IMAG0327.jpg

Brace height

IMAG0015.jpg

Some other shots and arrows

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice. I did a birch bow once. Frets all over it but it shot smoothly and pretty fast. It was around 35lb at 28 if I recall.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Very nice bow Dwardo,
By the way have you ever wondered about the warning on linseed oil about soaked cloths spontainiously combusting? Could be feasible (like wet and dry strw for starting a fire) but never heard of it happening and neither has a chemistry teacher pal who thinks its to inert. ( Though if the cloth was damp or contaminated)? Who knows. Makes me kinda paranoid after I've made a walking staff though.
Goatboy.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have not seen that happen with linseed oil but know that it can. See here.

This is a really nice bow Dwardo. I like those snaky bows, they are full of character. Thanks for sharing.

OK JOJO,
I've howked all the rags from under the kitchen sink now ... how much damage can they do under there ... thinking now out of the window and have called my chemistry teacher pal and told him to retrain... :lmao:
Thanks for posting that.
Goatboy.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I read the same about oil soaked cloths. But i believe its in very hot climates, not likely here :eek:

Snufkin. It did chrystal badly on one limb but only till i corrected the tiller, applied heat and sanded out the chrystals. It seems like a nice fast wood but i dont think it will have the life of other woods without a backing, no problems yet but time will tell :)

Very nice Dwardo, I've been thinking about having a go at a bow myself.

I like the snakyness of it, I'm guessing that not everyone has access to perfect, straight grained bits of wood and the skill of bowmaking is turning a gnarly knotted length of firewood(to some people) into something that will shoot hard and fast, and look good too!

As I'm Welsh I won't be venturing into Chester after sundown knowing that there's a bowman about!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice Dwardo, I've been thinking about having a go at a bow myself.

I like the snakyness of it, I'm guessing that not everyone has access to perfect, straight grained bits of wood and the skill of bowmaking is turning a gnarly knotted length of firewood(to some people) into something that will shoot hard and fast, and look good too!

As I'm Welsh I won't be venturing into Chester after sundown knowing that there's a bowman about!

Cheers sleepy,

Snakey staves are a bit more of a challenge but worth the work. If you do see me on the walls of chester the safest place would be directly in front of me :eek:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I made this birch bow a while ago but it was put to oneside whilst i made others. The tiller was a bit dodgy and whilst i love to work with birch there are a lot of other bow woods that are not as fussy :eek:

I decided to try and recover the tiller and add a little bling at the same time. The handle is birch bark from the same tree as the bow wrapped with jute. I stained the bow and knocked up some arrows for it. She shoots well and will be written up as "lady of the woods" temperamental like the missus. :eek:

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

HPIM0363.jpg

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
These bows are just superb! Well done mate. Do you ever make bows to sell, I can't afford one at the moment anyway, I'm just asking. Very cool!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
caliban - Not at the minute but i would like to one day. At the moment i trade them for wood and other things or recently archery tuition :D

welshwhit - The only way to start is to get some wood and give it a go. The bowyers bibles are fantasic as are lots of other books. Give it a go you wont look back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE