New axe! Hultafors trekking or Husqvarna!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So.. I kinda traded and sold all my decent axes. :rolleyes: Leaving me with only cheap ones for busting timber apart and nothing clean enough to remove material easily when carving wood.

I've had plenty and although I was thinking of ordering another Cold steel hawk to mod and use but I found two other options.

The Hultafors 800g trekking axe..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-H...UTF8&colid=3POXA12ETQQD&coliid=I1GEGO8KU66PKA

Husqvarna hatchet..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-H...UTF8&qid=1383239751&sr=8-1&keywords=husqvarna

From the pictures the Hultafors looks cleaner, and better finished.

Who here has used oir owns one or both?? Your thoughts?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got the Husqvarna hatchet, it's a very good small axe for ridiculously little money (compared to others), although personally I find it a bit small/light for carving.

Cheers, Paul

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got the trekker, its a great little axe, mine s got a great finish & a good fit between wood/metal. The mask is crap though, but Topknot makes a great one for them.

Rob

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got the trekker, its a great little axe, mine s got a great finish & a good fit between wood/metal. The mask is crap though, but Topknot makes a great one for them.

Rob

Ah! what is the egde/blade profile like? Is it a basic small splitter or is their carving potential there?

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Iv one of each the husky is better alround imo the hul looks cast

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
My husky arrived with a pretty rough and slighly off-centre grind (a lot like the one on the link above). I re-read BRs excellent axe sharpening thread and put in a couple of hours with a file and an Aldi diamond block and ended up with a useful (and very sharp) little hatchet. It is my lightest so it is good for carving when my arm gets tired. I prefer a Kent Pattern axe for carving as the shape of the head means it has more blade above the end of the handle which allows a slicing action.

Can't comment on the Hultafors, but the Husky can be a good axe; but it might take a bit of work.

Z

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Iv one of each the husky is better alround imo the hul looks cast

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Oh.. really? don't wana put you out but do you have a comaprison pic' of the two next to each other, and of the blade thicknesses?

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I have both and use the hatchet a lot more than the trekking axe, i can just about carve a spoon shape with the hatchet, i wouldn't even attempt it with the trekking axe.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Ah! what is the egde/blade profile like? Is it a basic small splitter or is their carving potential there?

I posted some pics back in april last year, so if you look at my back posts(i don't know how to get them up) you can sse it. I think it would have huge potential, but i'm not much of a carver.

Rob

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Salmon, I've got the larger hultafors axe and it is quite a beast, it arrived very sharp but as said the head does look cast. I do t know if it just has a heavy sand blasting but it's not your regular forged finish.

The fit and overall finish are good for the price I paid though.

I've only sen a husky axe briefly, it was the newer shape and seemed decent enough. I'd try and find someone willing to part with the older style head if I were you.

I had a look at the husky range and must say they have some tempting looking axes!

Andy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the input guys! :)

I think I've made my mind up.. and in traditional fashion gone with something completely different! lol

Cold steel Spike hawk! a quick before and after photoshop to show kinda what it'll look like.

I'll be doing several mod's to the blade finish but the picture shows how I'll be removeing the spike and leaving a square hammer section. Cold steel already make simular hawks with hammer sections etc, but only the spike hawk can be choked up on properly! The pipe hawk/frontier hawk both have an unusal obtrustive portion of steel under the blade where you'd need to hold to do finer cuts/carving! And as this axe is only for that sor tof work, this is the ebst option! :)

I'll do a w.i.p/tutorial thread once I receive the hawk and that should be in the next month! ;)

(still probably get the husqvarna at some point! ha!)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Too much curve to the narrow edge probably wont make a good carver mate. Too light aswell for it to be efficient. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Too much curve to the narrow edge probably wont make a good carver mate. Too light aswell for it to be efficient. :)

Maybe, but I'm confident I can make it work, and enjoy the project. I have owned and used the much smaller and lighter trail hawk for a long time and carved with it without many difficulties. This hawk will be easier I'm sure, and although not the best one for it, it'll certianly manage! Lol if I can carve a spoon with my shovel (did this a few days ago) I'm sure I can do it with a less than perfect axe. ;)

Why not go for the husquvarna carving axe?

As lovely as it looks, for now I will stick with the hawk and potentially aquire one in the future! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE