Lansky turn box knife sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just purchased one of these Lansky turnbox knife sharpener sets http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Shar...id=1438175860&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky+turn+box after I was gifted an Amazon voucher.

It arrived today. Those folk that know me will confirm that I am infamous for my blunt tools and ability to persuade other people to sharpen them for me. I have been truly hopeless at sharpening using stones. :rolleyes:

So, I had a go with the Lansky set having read some positive reviews. I have to say that I will add my voice to those praising this, as I found it really easy to put a good edge on all my tools, including my little Fiskars X5 hatchet. Quick, easy, and much sharper than I am usually able to achieve.

Shaving sharp? Not yet, but I haven't really tried for that as I'm not obsessive about achieving a razor edge so long as I can cut what I'm after, which is usually food, packaging, and wood carving. I like that the set is compact and portable too, so now I have no excuse for blunt tools.

If you struggle with sharpening, these could be worth a try.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I have one of these but never got the hang of it and went back to the other lansky set I have - maybe I need to give it another try.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
All uou need now is a fine ceramic steel to polish the blade and take off any flanged metal. Impressive it will sharpen the axe, a large face to grind. How's it work exactly.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That answers that :)

The recommendation is to use the 20 degrees for full flat blades like kitchen knives, and 25 degrees for camping knives etc. Use either individually, or for the camping knives you can sharpen initially to 20 degree to thin the edge and then switch to 25 degrees for a secondary bevel, which is what I did to get the shaving sharp edge. You could then either strop or simply use one of the ceramic rods for a final hand polish, though I haven't done that yet.

At under £15 I was quite pleased with it, expecially as it was a gift voucher bought by work colleagues as a get well soon gift for me, so it wasn't even my £15 :D

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Iv been looking at these for sometime now. I myself am very hit and miss with using stones. I can get a good edge on my axe with them but on knifes not so good. I have one of them Blade techs. I use it on my Kitchen knife and get some good results. I can also get a good edge on my mora with it too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE