Nessmuk Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I'm interested in getting a Nessmuk knife and want it to be a reasonably accurate historical copy. Basically, my question is what type of grind would the blade of had. Any info greatfully appeciated.

Thanks
ranger

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Did somebody not make one from an Old Hickory knife over on British Blades? A quick search there may help you out, it was an Old Hickory Skinner IIRC. I don't think the original knife cost too much or the modification took too long either.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
spamel said:
Did somebody not make one from an Old Hickory knife over on British Blades? A quick search there may help you out, it was an Old Hickory Skinner IIRC. I don't think the original knife cost too much or the modification took too long either.

Basemetal made it and I have it now! :D I will sort some pics soon!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There you are then Ranger, ask and you will recieve!!!

How is the knife then MF? Have you done a review at all? I would like to see some pictures of the finished article, in fact, I'm gonna nip next door to British Blades for a quick search. See you in a mo!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I would also speculate that the grind on Nessmuk's knife was flat ground. His book simply does not describe the knife much and the woodcut is the best clue.

If you are looking for a nicely done Nessmuk I would highly recommend Dale Chudzinski's work. He did this one for me.

FT9KellyFlame.jpg

It is flat ground with a convex edge, hand forged with a curly birch full-tang handle. He also does the traditional antler stick tangs like Nessmuk's. A great maker and a nice guy.

http://chudzinski.tripod.com/

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Alan Wood had a couple of stunning Nessmuk's at the Midland Game Fair a few weeks ago.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
One of the best reference sources I have recently seen can be found at the Kephart Museum kept by the Western Carolina University. The Nessmuk trio drawing can be seen there from a different source than Nessmuk's book. The knife could have a scandi edge from the drawing, but I am still guessing it was flat with a convex edge. Anyway, this website is a wealth of material on Kephart and by extension Nessmuk.

kephartnessmukax0xo.jpg

http://www.wcu.edu/library/digitalcoll/kephart/onlineexhibit/index.htm

Specifically the Nessmuk knives...including a couple of others which Nessmuk never discussed in his book.....you can search the database (Nessmuk), find the image and enlarge it to see more detail and specific sizes for the ax.

http://wcudigitalcollection.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p4008coll1&CISOPTR=459&REC=1

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Thanks everyone, you've all been most helpful. I had seen a couple of examples with a convex grind which I wasn't keen on. Now I've got used to bushcraft knives with a flat grind I'd far rather go with that especially if it's historically accurate as well.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
What other sources for nessmuk knives are there?
I'm looking for one but hopefully a factory blade for ease and cost. So far the Grohmann survival knife looks like the best bet.
Apparently tactical knives did an article a while back but i haven't got it.

M

Millbilly

Recently recieved a brkt wolf river (very nessmukey!) from another forum member, and have a small nessmuk knife on its way from Dale Chudzinski. Should be here within the next week or two, i'll post a few pics when she arrives. :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Millbilly said:
Recently recieved a brkt wolf river (very nessmukey!) from another forum member, and have a small nessmuk knife on its way from Dale Chudzinski. Should be here within the next week or two, i'll post a few pics when she arrives. :)

I see what you mean but BRKT produce the Adirondack Guide which was more influenced by Nessmuk than the Wolf River.

Adirondack Guide
adironosorg.jpg

Wolf River
wrosage.jpg

M

Millbilly

Looking at the two next to each other, i can see what you mean. Its the hump that does it :)
Both great looking knives, though.

there are lots of great options now, and I treasure my Nessmuk by Dale. They're mainly knives for butchering game, though. The exception is that the continuously curved edge will whittle fine fuzzies for very wet conditions, and get you a lot of them in a very short time. That's what i use mine for until I retire and find time to hunt moose again. For that - even with a flat grind, the edge will have to be convexed rather than V ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE