Need some inspiration for my CS Frontier hawk (pics)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the edge will clean up easily mate, use a brick to get it started if you don't have any files or 'proper' stones. Just a few splashes of water and it'll get the first stage done in a few minutes, then use your other stuff.

I'd strip the paint off (spray on nitramors works really well), smooth out the eye and edge then get the handle to the length you like and sand/oil it! get some wood stain on it for some colours if you fancy but if you get it dirty enough normal wood oil or olive oil will take a darker shade overtime!

Get down Lidl mate, they have angle grinders for £20! and an angle grinder can do ALOT! I used mine to rework and convex the egde and strip the forge marks (the pitted rough surface).

After the nitramors and a wire brush done it's thing..

DSCF1367.jpg

and after a vinegar for a patina to protect that steel..

cst9.jpg

cst10.jpg

and after my angle grinder/flap disk reworked that crude edge..

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

and after I gave the whole head a going over with the flap disk and let it get manky and rusty.. I also cut the handle down a few inches, sanded/oiled it and waxed it.

DSCF3817.jpg

I did use the grinder to remove a little steel under the blade to go for a slightly mroe beared shape, but kept it minimal.

Do what ever you want with yours, we can only show you our attempts but it's totally down to your taste dude! ;)

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hey guys thanks for all the helpful advice so far!

So I trundled up to B&Q today and bought a few bits. A 10 pack assorted aluminium oxide wet and dry paper, Polycell Advanced Paint stripper (cheaper than nitromors)

I got home and smeared on the paint stripper and left it a few hours, came back to it and pretty much nothing had happend. So i scrubbed it off with fine wire wool and applied it again.

Came back an hour later and the paint woud come off a bit easier with the wire wool. Repeated this another application.

So it just got dark an hour ago and Ive been scrubbing it with coarse Alu-oxide paper, the pitting seems to be going down very slowly :(

Im thinking I might get some coarser stuff and try to get this to a mirrors finish watever the time cost!

Heres a few piccys

IMAG1522.jpg

IMAG1523.jpg

IMAG1524.jpg

IMAG1525.jpg

IMAG1526.jpg

IMAG1527.jpg

Work in progress!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Paint came of with a wire brush, edge has been filed and sharpened.
Patina from chopping green willow, handle darkened with linseedoil and some sort of unidentified brown powder my friend gave me.[/QUOTE]

thats a nice hawk cheers for sharing.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Ok, so after a 2 hours with 80 grit alu-oxide and some wood stain and olive oil heres the result. Am going to keep sanding it until I get a mirror finish!

IMAG1531.jpg

IMAG1530.jpg

IMAG1529.jpg

IMAG1528.jpg

Overall very happy but expensive to do due to having to buy all the stuff. What do you guys think?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Looking good. If I may give you some advice, don't go buying stuff for a (probably) one time project like this. Just ask a friend or uncle or cousin if you can borrow what you need. My uncle stripped the paint of of mine for me with a wire brush:)

Maybe you can make a nicer sheath out of leather, or wood or birch bark. Just saying, be creative:D
Have fun!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Looking good. If I may give you some advice, don't go buying stuff for a (probably) one time project like this. Just ask a friend or uncle or cousin if you can borrow what you need. My uncle stripped the paint of of mine for me with a wire brush:)

Maybe you can make a nicer sheath out of leather, or wood or birch bark. Just saying, be creative:D
Have fun!

Hey Niels, Yep I know buying the stuff is foolish but I dont have any family where i live :( Im 23 and its about time i build up my own collection of DIY stuff

Yeah the sheath is a bodge job but works well, it has hard plastic insert where blade touches. Wood sounds good!

CHeers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE