Need some inspiration for my CS Frontier hawk (pics)

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hey up all,

Ive been playing around with the hawk today trying to take a huge ding out of the edge with mixed results, I read a cool thread about mods to the trail hawk and fancied stripping it of the black paint and doing something to the handle..

To sharpen all I have is the basic lansky set and my leatherman wave diamond file, not the best by any means

Ive given it a sand but cant decide what to do next? any ideas....

IMAG1516-1.jpg

IMAG1517-1.jpg

IMAG1518-1.jpg

IMAG1519.jpg

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Paint stripper will take all the nasty black paint off, then you could use files sandpaper and wet and dry to put a new edge on it. I have just had a go at a Traihawk I recently got on here, I'll add some pictures tomorrow

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I love the CS hawks for modding, done my spike hawk a while ago.

I used Nitromors to remove the black, then added a patina with a mix of BBQ sauce and salad cream (hey, it's what I had in the cupboard...:))
and some simple filework and a proper sharpen.

Fitted the head properly and gave the hickory a light stain.

IMG_2337.jpg

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Wow that is a beauty! i need to buy some wet and dry, and nitromors! considered the spike hawk but to0 "weaponry" for carrying around :(

patina? someone please enlighten me

Last edited:

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
patina? someone please enlighten me

A patina is when carbon steel blades develop a fine layer of surface oxidation i.e when your new shiny knife develops a dull grey finish over time with use or as I've done on the hawk, forced the patina. It can help provide a barrier on blades and give some protection from the more damaging red rust......very bad.

Mind how you go with that Nitromors if you use it, nasty stuff.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
I have a cold steel trail hawk and have modified the handle to make it easier to grip when being used. I was hopeing all other signs of wear would come with age and time rather than trying to force a false look.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
A very quick make over is to cut down the handle, dye with tea and oil to a Gransfors Like finish and color. Strip the head and sand and wire wool it to a surface finish you like-tbh I didn't do much! Sand the sharp edges off inside of the poll to make mounting and demounting smoother.
Finally cover the head in mustard paste and cover in clingfilm for three days for a nice patina.
Clean then oil. Bingo, a GB like hatchet to match your SFA!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
A very quick make over is to cut down the handle, dye with tea and oil to a Gransfors Like finish and color. Strip the head and sand and wire wool it to a surface finish you like-tbh I didn't do much! Sand the sharp edges off inside of the poll to make mounting and demounting smoother.
Finally cover the head in mustard paste and cover in clingfilm for three days for a nice patina.
Clean then oil. Bingo, a GB like hatchet to match your SFA!

Thanks i will try a few of them ideas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE