Need advice on good shell and sleeping bag for beginner!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I'm new to bushcraft and looking to make a start on the kit i need to get out and start actually practicing some skills. I've been in the TA so i'm not a complete novice at being in the countryside, but in terms of kit i have almost no idea where to start. I've been told that a good quality sleeping bag is one of the most important items to buy, and the softie snugpak 6 was mentioned to me, although i also hear it's quite expensive. I'm also looking for a good jacket to keep the weather out as well.

I'm also working within a budget, so the better vlaue for money the better as far as i'm concerned. :)

At a later date i'll also need to invest in some decent boots, backpack and bivvy system as well i suppose. So any and all suggestions are appreciated.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I love the Snugpak sleeping bags, but some find them a tad tight and optimistic on temp range. Personally, I'd say give one a try as they are very hard wearing (my cold weather bag is about 20 years old and still going strong.

You could try picking up an surplus MOD doss bag and bivvy bag. Both are heavier than civvy models but are well made and will take some abuse.

Jacket wise, what are you after? An insulating layer or a water/wind proof layer?

Insulating, Snugpak fibre pile or an Andywink Moleskin smock would get my vote.

Waterproof, do you want to go goretex type or Ventile? If Ventile, Andywink SAS type smock gets my vote, if goretex, try a surplus DPM one.

Simon

Apr 21, 2009
Pevensey & Westham
Welcome to Bushcraft! My first post here myself, so i hope i can help!

Sleeping bags, well, as always it depends on what conditions you'll be going out in. Generally speaking, aim for a bag that states it will be warmer than your likely to need, it's easier to make a bag cooler than it is warmer!
I would recommend checking out Highlander Military products. Reasonable on price, nothing too flashy in the way of over the top features, and good longevity for what you pay too. Thier bed bags are pretty good, comfy and warm, pack down pretty small and come in at reasonable prices compared to similarly temperature-rated bags. However, they are not as technical or as light as higher-tag bags, but i think the compromise is reasonable enough for what you get.

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/military/sleeping_bags/index.html

Moving on to shells, im going to assume your after a good wind, waterproof outer layer. If thats the case, have a look in your local army surplus shop for a reasonably priced Gore-Tex jacket. I got a great quality one for £50, which i've had for 4 years now, and despite the exceptional punishment it has taken, it's not failed me once. I don't doubt your could pick one up for less than that these days!
I realise your on a budget, but unless you find an awesome deal somewhere in a sale and know what your looking at, i personally look at £50 being the ultimate lowest cost of a jacket in order to retain a reasonable level of quality. Have a look at these two Montane shells. The first is my favourite item of kit, but better suited to colder climates. The second is the jacket i and my team use for work, and they are brilliant. I know the price is creeping up here, but the increase in quality is pretty impressive! The RRPs arent the greatest indication of actual price, and deals can be found. All in, i find Montane kit to be brilliant, and i don't mind shelling out for thier stuff because i know i can trust it.

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=99&rid=2
http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php

As a brief note, Highlander also do good boots, packs, hell, everything your after, so they may be a name to look for! Hope some of this has helped a little. If you come up with more details to work from, let us know!

Goodluck!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just echoeing what Simon has already said really, I'm a big Snugpak fan and rate their code green bags, favourite for me has to be the Elite 4 for cold weather, I use a Vango 2 season most of the year though.

If you're on a budget it hard to beat surplus wet weather gear for quality and robustness, if you're not into the DPM thing though have a look at Dutch and German alternatives.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I love the Snugpak sleeping bags, but some find them a tad tight and optimistic on temp range. Personally, I'd say give one a try as they are very hard wearing (my cold weather bag is about 20 years old and still going strong.

You could try picking up an surplus MOD doss bag and bivvy bag. Both are heavier than civvy models but are well made and will take some abuse.

Jacket wise, what are you after? An insulating layer or a water/wind proof layer?

Insulating, Snugpak fibre pile or an Andywink Moleskin smock would get my vote.

Waterproof, do you want to go goretex type or Ventile? If Ventile, Andywink SAS type smock gets my vote, if goretex, try a surplus DPM one.

Simon

After humping around the MOD sleeping bag and bivi bag i'm definitely trying to find something a bit smaller. Definitely good quality when it gets nippy, but i really hated the things after a few days in the field. :)

The jacket would be a water/wind proof layer. I have no idea which is better between ventile and gore-tex, what are the pros and cons?

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Welcome to Bushcraft! My first post here myself, so i hope i can help!

Sleeping bags, well, as always it depends on what conditions you'll be going out in. Generally speaking, aim for a bag that states it will be warmer than your likely to need, it's easier to make a bag cooler than it is warmer!
I would recommend checking out Highlander Military products. Reasonable on price, nothing too flashy in the way of over the top features, and good longevity for what you pay too. Thier bed bags are pretty good, comfy and warm, pack down pretty small and come in at reasonable prices compared to similarly temperature-rated bags. However, they are not as technical or as light as higher-tag bags, but i think the compromise is reasonable enough for what you get.

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/military/sleeping_bags/index.html

Moving on to shells, im going to assume your after a good wind, waterproof outer layer. If thats the case, have a look in your local army surplus shop for a reasonably priced Gore-Tex jacket. I got a great quality one for £50, which i've had for 4 years now, and despite the exceptional punishment it has taken, it's not failed me once. I don't doubt your could pick one up for less than that these days!
I realise your on a budget, but unless you find an awesome deal somewhere in a sale and know what your looking at, i personally look at £50 being the ultimate lowest cost of a jacket in order to retain a reasonable level of quality. Have a look at these two Montane shells. The first is my favourite item of kit, but better suited to colder climates. The second is the jacket i and my team use for work, and they are brilliant. I know the price is creeping up here, but the increase in quality is pretty impressive! The RRPs arent the greatest indication of actual price, and deals can be found. All in, i find Montane kit to be brilliant, and i don't mind shelling out for thier stuff because i know i can trust it.

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=99&rid=2
http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php

As a brief note, Highlander also do good boots, packs, hell, everything your after, so they may be a name to look for! Hope some of this has helped a little. If you come up with more details to work from, let us know!

Goodluck!

Thanks for the welcome. :) The montane jacket was a little over what i wanted to pay, and to be honest the wouldn't be my first choice either, but the suggestion is appreciated. I looked at the highlander website and it looks pretty good, just a shame it's a wholesaler and not a retailer.

Just echoeing what Simon has already said really, I'm a big Snugpak fan and rate their code green bags, favourite for me has to be the Elite 4 for cold weather, I use a Vango 2 season most of the year though.

If you're on a budget it hard to beat surplus wet weather gear for quality and robustness, if you're not into the DPM thing though have a look at Dutch and German alternatives.

Having had a look around i was thinking of going for either the snugpak sleeper lite or the sleeper xtreme lite as a starter, since both seem to give decent warmth and pack relatively small. How would these hold up in the British weather?

I don't mind DPM on clothes. I just don't have much experience to discriminate between something that might be good value, and something that might just be good for binning once i get out into the great outdoors and walk into my first downpour.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
After humping around the MOD sleeping bag and bivi bag i'm definitely trying to find something a bit smaller. Definitely good quality when it gets nippy, but i really hated the things after a few days in the field. :)

The jacket would be a water/wind proof layer. I have no idea which is better between ventile and gore-tex, what are the pros and cons?

That's a can of worms you've opened now....

Ventile is basically a tight weave cotton, that expands when it gets wet to close it own pores - making it waterproof. It stiffens up somewhat when this happens, but not so that it is uncomfortable.

It has the advantage of being a natural fabric, so, according to some,is better around fire.

I find that you need to wear natural (wool in my case) layers underneath to get the best out of it.

Goretex is a breathable membrane that allows your sweat to escape. Despite what others have said, I have worn mine near a fire and am still here to tell the tale.

I am lucky and have both - but prefer the Ventile UNLESS it is bucketing down & then it is Goretex all the way.

Changing back to sleeping - I have the Snugpak Stratospehere bivvy bag and love it - lighter than the issue one, with the advantage of a mozzie net....Heres mine last week
WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Au-1.jpg

Pablo did a review
http://www.woodlife.co.uk/kit/snugpak-stratosphere-hooped-bivi-bag-initial-review/

HTH

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE