Need advice on building very big shelter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I can build simple shelters to an extent, but I need to build one that will be able to keep the rain of 10-15 people, for my airsoft team, as we have nothing. I have a couple of tarp and the area is general broadleaf woodland.

All we need is the rain of and seats and place for fire.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
IMG_009_1L.jpg

just one example...

FaceToTheHighway

Jun 8, 2012
Ireland
Building six lean-to shelters in a circle formation yields a living space for five people and a storage area. Anything larger and it becomes difficult for the fire to keep people warm. The fifth lean-to is thatched with the middle left bare to create an entrance and the thatched areas either side of the entrance is for storage. This whole shelter can be made without any cordage. A good size for the lean-tos would be a couple of inches longer than your tallest person.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the shelter roof at coed hireath [piccies on the meet up thread] is wieved poly from argricultural suppliers in cross hand busness park. it cost 20 odd quid. debris can then be layed over the top to stop wind noise and provide a more asthetic appearance.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a chute, never used it to keep the weather off though as I presumed it would not be that good in the rain?

They do need to "season" before becoming more water proof but even still they are not 100% in my experience.
If you go for a natural shelter you will need a hell of a lot of natural rescources and time to build an effective one. They also need regular maintenace.
I and a few others have built shelters in my local haunt for the past 4 years or so and they are great to spend winter weekends in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE