need a project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
imo tree ID is a very valable skill and a knowlege of diferent uses of trees. for example you could have used Ash for your bow as it is made up of very long fibers which make it exelent for making bows or tool handles. ash is a very good wood to burn, because of its low moisture content it can even be burnt green althow i wouldnt fell a living tree just for the sake of firewood. the inner bark of willow can be used to make a strong and flexable cord. sweet chestnut is a very durable wood that is easyly split and is highly resistant to rot so is used for fence posts etc. hazel coppice is very strong and flexable and has hundreds of uses from shelters to pot hangers. im gessing you already know about birch, 'the bushcraft tree' lol

befor i new a pine from other conifers i made tea with hemlock needles/leaves :yuck: which i think are actualy slightly toxic:eek:

well theres a few bits to get u started, get yourself a pocket sized tree id book to take into the woods with you:)

pete

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I know a few, generally i'm ok when there's leaves to id with but it's not a great time of year for it.

There's loads of ash, which is easy to spot in the woods I use. To be honest I thought it was too erm soft, stringy? to use for a bow.

I know birch well, and use it a lot because there's loads of it in there! but it doesn't seem to like being bent much (as I've found on previous attempts).

You're right, I need a pocket sized book!

Water hemlock's the poisonous one iirc, and from what I've seen / read - if that's what you'd had you wouldn't be here now - very poisonous and no cure. I think the other hemlock's o.k. and has a medicinal use but my memory's not great so don't take it as gospal.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hemlock is a poisenous plant that it shares it name with the tree which isnt quite as toxic.

the stringyness of ash is what gives it its spring when used for bows

iv just realised im now a 'nomad':D

pete

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I've done char-cloth but I'd like to have a go at that glue, would be better left for when I'm out for the night though by the looks of things it takes a long time!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Weather sucked here today as well!
I got out with the intention of testing the new camera but never even got it out due to the weather. I am like you sometimes need a bit of help thinking of things to do in the woods. I do like to just bimble about but you tend not to learn anything new.
Hope the weather improves bring on the frosts again!
D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
What about finding a dead twig and a bit of rough stone,then you can abrade it into a needle for sewing.
Or make one of these
deadfall4640x480.jpg

deadfall3640x480.jpg

Or what about abrading a stone arrow head using some soft stone like Slate.

Or collect some resin if you have conifers in your area, then turn it into pitch for attaching
the arrow head to a shaft.Just for starters.

Cheers Stuart.

Is that deadfall trap meant as a warning to the bunnies or piggies who live in that hutch in the background? ie: thats what happens when you escape?? squish.....:eek:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
How about finding a suitable tree and making some cord?Or picking out 5 trees and identifiying them and find out 5 different things you could do with them?...

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
not a bad idea, I'd rather be taught how to make cord sometime though.

Trees, well I need to learn how to identify them in the winter but you've given me the idea of having a walk and learning a few new plants and then working out what I can use them for.

Thankyou.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not far of the time of the year when edibles are coming through so lots to try to id!
Me I just decided to go up a small hill today for a stroll instead.
Will post a few pic's maybe.
D

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
take a piece of wood, even a bit of old pine will do and try and make it round using only your knife!

then, when you'e got it as round as you think you can get it, try and carve a spiral all the way up- evenly spaced.

it's pretty tricky but it will teach yousome goodknife control and you can do it in the living room

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Sorry to drift the thread but for the life of me I can't figure out how the deafall toggle works on the one pictured. I made my first figure 4 deadfall last week and was extremely pleased with myself. I can see how the whole thing works just not the blummen toggle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE