need a project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
you could try making some gear, im going to have a go at that hanging hobo stove someone had on here made from some hanging flower basket chains, looked really useful, and i like the idea of keeping it off the ground.

also always wanted to have a go at making one of those fires with two holes joined by a tunnel, so thats something you could try, assuming you have permission etc etc.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
also always wanted to have a go at making one of those fires with two holes joined by a tunnel, so thats something you could try, assuming you have permission etc etc.

Ooh, what's that then? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a firebug so this one's quite appealing.

What I did today?

Well, I've been thinking a lot about drinks when I'm out and about - which is most days lately, hence the need for projects :rolleyes:

Trouble is, I get up in the morning, have a drink and something to eat, go to the woods and I'm there for 4-5hrs pottering about - without a drink and generally missing lunch. I don't like the idea of taking much with me and I like the idea of taking my cooking pots with me even less because I like to keep them nice and clean and the thought of cleaning them daily having used them over a fire isn't good. So, I've come to the conclusion that I need something like a catering size bean can for boiling water in (plenty of streams about) that I'm not bothered about keeping clean (on the outside) and don't mind if it gets wrecked.

So, over the last few days I've tried a few things out. Firstly, I find an empty beer can in the woods (sadly, not difficult) and fill it with water from a stream, filtered through a tissue. I can boil it easily enough, and very quickly because the tin is so thin. So, I tried spruce tea the other day - which was drinkable but a bit bland. Today, I tried pretty much the same but used crab apples and added rose-hips to hopefuly sweeten it a little - the result erm tasted like hot dry cider without any alcohol and not sweet at all. Again, it was drinkable but not great so I may need to consider taking tea/coffee maybe hot chocolate because it needs no milk or sugar.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll get round to them eventually.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Ooh, what's that then? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a firebug so this one's quite appealing.

took me ages to find the name of it :)

google for "dakota hole fire" -- i've always wanted to try it, seems like a great way to keep visability low, airflow good, and keep your fire out of the rain etc etc/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE