Need a 'cheap' mini kit case...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a little survival kit for my Father (it's going to be a gift for Fathers Day) and need something to put it in...

So far it's only a bare bone kit:

Ultimate Survival Blast Match
Wetfire Tinder x 2
Ultimate Survival Jetscream Whistle
Some small Maya Sticks
Possible a Whisky miniature (this is a humorous side of the gift, but probably very welcome :rolleyes: )

I need something fairly neat to put it all in however. I really like the look of the Ultimate Survival Mini Cache/Otterbox 1000, but as I'm really strapped for cash I was hoping for a slightly cheaper alternative... :eek:

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
How about a some sort of medical sealable bottle/plastic container (camera film containers work quite well) with some balls of cotton wool covered in vaseline? Light a treat!

Fishing line and small hooks (cost bugger all), some pottassium permanganate from the chemist (for water and general disinfection) a selection of plasters, a small mirror, (heliograph!). cheap aluminium-esque survival blanket. :bluThinki

Depending on your budget you may even want to get him a frost mora knife as an aside - they're under a tenner and are superb value for money. :D

Phil

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hellz,

Aha, my area of speciality (aka I like fooling around with PSKs)!

My suggestion for a container would be either a wide mouthed Nalgene bottle (make sure its a 1litre one), or cheaper, one of the "Snap and Seal" Tupperware type boxes available from Tesco etc.

Other contens can include:
Mini Compass (the smallest Silva is £5)
Puritabs (hence 1litre capacity bottle)
Bic Lighter (or Mini Bic in a shoe)
Snare wire (pike lead line is good)
Photon type keyring torch
Builders drop sheet (huge light plastic cloth used for a tarp, as solar still etc.)
KMnO4 for definite
Couple of Oxo cubes, coffee and sugar sachets are useful
SAK or for a smaller kit small craft knife (even scalpel blade)
Hotel type sewing kit or sterile suture kit (its a pre-threaded needle)
Kite string (small kit) or paracord (larger kit)
Sterene candle (large kit) or Birthday cake candles (small kit) - used for fire lighting
1l ziplock bag (used for carrying water in a small kit or transferring contents to when using Nalgene bottle
Pencil and waterproof paper
Folded up pie dish (to boil water etc.)

Hope that helps. If you have trouble sourcing any bits you want, drop me a PM and I'll send you some links or sort you out the bits from the "store room of wonder" :)

Red

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
my local wilkinsons store does a 99p first aid kit. the contents are ok but the container that it all comes in is a great little box. maybe something along those lines would be suitable for your kit?

it always amazes me what you can pick up and use for bushcrafty things that, when designed, was intented for something entirely different. good luck :)

stu

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What about a small Lock'n'Lock type food container. Plastic box with rubber seal around mouth and four cam-closure levers, one per side. Boxes are meant to be air-tight. Cheap ones about £1, better ones, about £3...I think. Very solid, maybe too solid, read heavy.?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I saw a nice one put together by Jeremy of Islay Birding and Bushcraft recently....it was a small whiskey tin...I assume he drank the bottle which came with it. :D As a cylinder it was intended also as something to cook in should this be necessary but also carried all kinds of possibles including a pre-mac filter and an foil emergency blanket...it was amazing what was in there....all enclosed in a belt pouch. It gave me something to think about and stopping off in Keswick on the way home I picked up a small trangia mess tin with lid and folding handle....6-7" long x 3" wide by 2" deep roughly and it will serve the same purpose. It cost about £7 from Cotswold Outdoors IIRC....

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'd agree with chis these boxes are great i use them for alsorts i wouldn't want to carry one very far with the rest of my kit but for storing foods,resins,waxes,fak's,mobile phones etc you can't breat them for the price

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE