Necker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Rather hypocritically after the full tang V hidden tang discussion I have been making a full tang neck knife this afternoon :rolleyes:

Full tang, full flat grind with a secondary bevel, 6 and 7/8" OAL with a 2 and 3/4" cutting edge, 1/8" thick (ish):

necker-1.jpg

After five minutes in ferric chloride, to check the pattern:

necker-2.jpg

And next to two 12C27 stainless neckers I have in WIP at the moment:

necker-3.jpg

Relatively low layer count on each side with a 52100 core and as sharp as a sharp thing :)

Obviously it needs a proper sanding and etch, but this is a good indicator of the pattern, showing the central core steel.

The 12C27 neckers need more holes drilled into the tangs and they will both end up with black Micarta or Carbon Fibre slabs and kydex sheaths - one of them is going to a mate for his canoe trips and the other will loiter with intent until I think on what to do with it.

I am looking for inspiration for handle materials at the moment for the Damascus necker - not sure whether to go light or dark.

Thoughts anyone ?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Really like the damascus blade. How about a polished white slab with silver pins and bolster. Or should say silver colour.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
very nice realy like the middle one

I'd go for Micarta i only like wood on carbon knives but thats just me

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Xunil,
Brisa has a lovely line in stabilized woods.
Stab maple burl in Royal Navy or stab Alder royal navy, or stab birdseye maple in royal navy...
Do you see a pattern here?
Mosaic pins to finish with a silver bolster.
Just a thought!
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE