For Sale Global GS-5 Vegetable Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Global GS-5 Vegetable Knife 14cm is a smaller version
CONDITION: ''USED'' Bearly Excellent condition show's some signs of use and Honed twice.
PRICE: £60.00 posted including PayPal Fee's

1668510400977.jpeg
1668510444097.jpeg
1668510507166.jpeg
DESCRIPTION:
The Global GS-5 Vegetable Knife 14cm is a smaller version of the G-5 vegetable chopper and takes its inspiration from Japanese Usuba (Vegetable Knives). The relatively flat parts of the blade are designed to chop through fruit and vegetables by coming into full contact with the chopping board. The front of the blade is more curved like a chef's knife, allowing the knife to be rocked gently forward after each cut and encourages good chopping technique.

The razor-sharp blade is made from Cromova 18 Stainless Steel, Global's own mix of steel that contains 18% chromium which aids stain resistance and molybdenum and vandium which both help to maintain the sharp edge of the blade. This is then ice hardened to Rockwell 56-58. The dimples on the stainless steel handle provide extra grip for a safe and comfortable hold.

Global Knives were first designed in 1985 by Komin Yamada and pay tribute to the Japanese Samurai sword tradition. The two most distinguishing features of Global knives are their edges and the way in which they are balanced.

The edge of a Global knife is ground into a steep, acute angle rather than a bevelled edge as is the case with most European produced knives. This straight edge results in a dramatically sharper knife which stays sharper longer.

The handles on a Global knife are made from hollow stainless steel which is then filled with just the right amount of sand to create the correct balance. Global balance their knives in this way for two reasons - this method is more precise than using a tang and bolster; and typically, Asian knives do not feature bolsters as they hinder cutting and sharpening

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Off topic from the sale but are all Global knives made like this? I have a Global kitchen knife bought over 10 years ago. I love it and its my go to kitchen knife.
As far as I know, Global have two handle types. One hollow-filled and one solid-forged. There is a difference in the model number to indicate this but I can’t recall what it is.
I have a dozen Globals that I use regularly in the kitchen at home. They’re a PITA to sharpen but they do cut well. Pretty good price for this one. I’d snap it up if I didn’t already have one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE