near miss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
IMO these incidents are few and far between,like stupid policemen.

Most of the lads on the beat have a brain and use it.

However,as in all walks of life,you will get the odd dickhead.

You guys have just been unlucky.Stuff happens. :p

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
Quote:
That's a good point. They're all carrying but there's better ways of carrying.
From the sound of it Gaz had his sharps packed at the bottom of his rucksack which has to be the most sensible option when travelling to/from an event as it makes them hard to reach in a hurry.

that was my argument and my pack hasnt got a bottom zip so u can get things out of the bottom

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Goose said:
I feel that a scout camp falls into good reason, and if one of my explorers(14-18 years) was to bring a knife to camp I would support and advise rather than stop them carrying a blade of any description.
Most of my explorers have knives which I allow them to carry at camp, they know my rules and that if they even pretend to use it as a weapon then I take it off them :(

Sadly most big sites don;t allow them to carry their knives away from our pitch, and some only allow folding knives, but its their site so we have to follow their rules. :deal:

I have never been stoped by a copper but the securty guard at work wouldn't let me park on site with a total of 50Kg of propane in the boot. (It was to cater for 200 people over a weekend!) :nono:

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I was once approached by the Police while eating fish and chips in my car with a mate.

At the time we were both in the T.A. Had been away with them the day before, and both had the day off. They asked to check in the boot, and that's when I rememberd that my kit was still in there....complete with a machete and knife attached to the pack. They asked what it was for, I told them, they said OK, then arrested us both as we matched the description of two chaps seen leaving a recently burgled house in the bottom of the village.

We were put in the Van and shipped off to the station before a quick detour to the house for the owner to confirm that it was not us they had seen and they let us go.

We could have been in all sorts of grief due to what was in the boot, without a valid reason, but common sense prevailed and they used their noddles. It was just an oversight by myself, and one I made sure not to repeat. I think they only arrested us in order to elliminate us from their enquiries (and possibly to get some of our chips)

Mind you, while the owner was looking in the van to ID us, it was the longest 10 seconds ever till they shook their head and said "No, that's not them"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE