Near Miss. a couple of thoughts!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
On a recent outing, I had an incident which raised a couple of points in my mind, and I thought I would share them.

The background.

I have been using cutting tools for years, instructing in their use on a regular basis.

I am also a Red Cross 4 day first aider

I was attending a Scout camp recently which was in a woodland criss crossed with loads of tracks. the wind was up and a commonly used track was overhung by a large dead "Silver Birch" around 10" in diameter.

We decided the safest option, as closing the path was not really feasable, was to chop the tree down. Again this is something I have done many many times.

So out came the double bit felling axe and off me and a collegue went.

Now for the bit that will make you cringe!

About 1/3 of the way through the trunk, as the tree was ready to fall the blade glanced out of the tree, straight through my shoe and into my toe.

The shoes where a heavy cross trainer with a strong rubber last at the front.

Initially there was no pain, just a strange warm feeling...................................

The thoughts

I always preach that leather boots, ideally steel toe caps, should be worn when using cutting tools for some reason on this occassion I did not follow my own advice.

1) Leather boots would not have stopped this injury, i would think the rubber on my shoe was more cut resistant.

2) A steel toe would have stopped this injury but how many of us walk into wilderness areas with steel toe boots?

A serious injury alone in a remote(ish) situation would easily spell death!

1) As I was performing a physically demanding activity and had a raised heart rate, the amount and rate of blood leaving my body was large.

Some of us are first aiders, some are not, it is commonly accepted that you should have a FAK to hand when using cutting tools, (our group kit was about 100m away). this is all well and good.

1) One thing that struck me "Self Administering First Aid" especially in a hard to reach place on your body is not easy and not commonly taught, it is worth practicing! (My wife had to apply the bandages in the end as my attempts where of no use

2) Check your Kit contents. (Dont trust others to do it) I had to open 2 kits to find anything other then insect wipes and small plasters.

OH yes the toe...................

On removing my shoe my toe was still firmly attached to my foot, but the axe had cut to the bone leaving a large gash which, though at the time was painless, hurts like hell now!

Parting Thought

Despite experiance and care in use, from time to time a cutting tool will bite you, with proper technique the damage will be minimal and serve as a reminder, Just BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry to hear of your accident. Sounds pretty scary. Axes are classic tools of self destruction. It takes many years of experience to master the axe and even then, accidents happen among the best of them. Most folks really don't realize just how dangerous an axe can be until they cut a toe off or have a tree fall on them. I always laugh when I read on the internet of self-proclaimed axeperts, especially the backyard or weekend variety. In my life I've only known a few true axemen and they used an axe nearly every day. It's a skill that if you don't use, you lose. In the hands of the occasional user, the potential for harm is exponential. Logging is and always has been one of the most dangerous professions there is. And the key word here is profession.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
My fellow leader did say at the time, it was a good job i was not wearing steel toe caps as it would have put a horrible ding in hte Axe!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A sobering tale.

Anybody using edged tools is going to get cut at sometime; it just depends on the size of the tool and the size of the cut. Glad to hear that it wasn't any more serious.

It reminds me though of someone I know who does a lot of H&S training for apprentice butchers and caterers. To cut a long story short, she had a very bad cut on her instep when a broken plate fell from a dishwasher onto her under-protected foot, causing a similar rapid blood loss.

Her reaction?

"Quick, come and film this for our video archive of industrial accidents!"

The moral: always take a first aid kit AND a video camera with you when working with sharps...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Speak to Russ about this sort of thing. (warthog1981)
He is experienced and skilled in the use of an axe and yet still got seriously bitten at a meet a few years ago.
The pics are on here somewhere.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sorry to hear that and hope it heals fast.

I do disagree with all the folk saying accidents are inevitable. Every one is avoidable. When an accident or near miss happens analysis is good, not only of was the first aid kit up to it? but why did it happen? Where was the foot? could it have been somewhere else further away from the path of the axe? Why did it glance? Could you have been working right foot forward rather than left foot forward or whatever to keep feet further away from swing+glance area? It is possible to fell a tree and have your feet clear of anywhere an axe could glance to.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Sorry to hear that and hope it heals fast.

I do disagree with all the folk saying accidents are inevitable. Every one is avoidable. When an accident or near miss happens analysis is good, not only of was the first aid kit up to it? but why did it happen? Where was the foot? could it have been somewhere else further away from the path of the axe? Why did it glance? Could you have been working right foot forward rather than left foot forward or whatever to keep feet further away from swing+glance area? It is possible to fell a tree and have your feet clear of anywhere an axe could glance to.

Agreed,

Not inevitable, and by defanition an accident is "avoidable"but they do happen the message is be ready when they do. I would rather have an unused first aid kit then no first aid kit.

And as you correctly say each "Accident/near miss" is an opportunity to learn

rancid badger

Funnily enough, I did not think to take any at the time!

Ahh now you see; that's totally understandable that is;) here you go, you can have a couple of mine:
P2120011copyresizedthumboff.jpg

P2120012.jpg

I'm really glad you are, ultimately, okay and that like me, you've paused and taken stock.

Like you, I have used edged tools for many years and found that in spite of this, our tools still have the "edge" over us at times. ( see what I did there?:D)

I always wear steel toe caps in the wood if I'm expecting
to be doing any small, axe/saw type jobs, though otherwise its just boots or in summer, cross type trainers.

Sincere best wishes anyway:)

atb

Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ouch!
I carry a small easily accessed 1st Aid kit on my belt when using sharps - plasters, gloves, and a large wound dressing!
I have not had to use it yet, but I have at times tried to use first aid kits loaned to me that are so old that the adhesive on the plasters has dried up and gone brittle!
Check your kits on a regular basis - I have found some "sterile" dressings that have gone mouldy with poor storage (OK it was my canoeing kit and I must have let some water in while dealing with someones blisters - but hey - it happens!) and not ideal for use....

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
That's a big 'ouch.'

If I'm planning to do any cutting with tools, I wear steel toe capped footwear if possible. I also carry a first aid kit, but I need to work on the bit about having it beside me at all times....

Cheers

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
long story short version.
While splitting fairly large logs at a meet up took a swing at a the log it bit in to it well.
Decided to pull the axe out and take another swing at it and it freed itself alot quicker that I wanted it to and very lightly tapped myself with the axe. I thought doh ive just split my Muckboots then the blood started flowing out.
And as Graham_S said I am experienced and fairly skilled in using an axe it was human error momentary loss of concentration.
Cut through 2 tendons and cut a sliver off the bone two months on crutches but the surgeon did compliment me on how sharp my axe was :)

Cheers Russ

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE