"Survival, Disaster and Tactical Medicine" - Book Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wanted to bring a new book to the attention of the forum

The book is entitled "Survival, Disaster and Tactical Medicine" and is aimed at providing medical insight to the lay person for situations where normal medical assistance is not available.

It is important up front that I say that I know the author well and have attended training with him. I think many of us have probably done First Aid qualifications but would like to know more than is normally taught - to help if the worst ever happens. Chris has provided this to our group and others.

Chris is a fantastic teacher who is able to train "First Aiders" in those extended skills we hope never to need - but fear that we might. His background in the Royal Army Medical Corp,Nurse, Paramedic and Wilderness Medic (as well as being a keen outdoorsman) give him real presence as a tutor.

I first did a "Heart Start" course with Chris many years ago - after he humped the gear to a bushy camp site halfway up a hill side in the Welsh Marches and went on to attend other training with him that went beyond what I learned in my First Aid at Work course but was more geared to remote situations, outdoor living etc. Its great to find someone who can actually train on (and now srite about) things like tick bites and burn treatments - stuff I am likely to have to deal with!

We have asked him for a long time to write a book on "first aid plus" aimed at the "man in the street". He has just published it. It covers the basics and goes far beyond. Sort of "First Aid" meets "Where there is No Doctor".

Chris always stresses to seek qualified medical assistance as a top priority - indeed in the UK, it should never be far away, but he also recognises there may be times and places when it isn't just a few minutes coming.

This book aims to supplement and re-enforce first aid training. It is certainly not a substitute for training of the sort that he and indeed members of this forum such as Wayne provide. It does help the likes of me though who doesn't have to practice these skills in my day to day life, to have a book that covers the basics and the more advanced techniques.

The author is a Registered Nurse who served with the RAMC, a Paramedic and Clinical Tutor with additional qualifications in Trauma and Remote Medicine. He has had a long term interest in Survival medicine and is the Medical Advisor for a Survival group and runs courses in Survival Medicine.

The contents of this book are derived from a number of articles which have been published online and the syllabus of the Wilderness Medicine Course he runs.

The aim of this work is to provide the lay person with the knowledge and skills to deal with a variety of medical conditions and traumatic injuries usually dealt with by Health Care Professionals.

Equipment, medical supplies and initial first aid treatment is covered, if the injury or illness would benefit from more advanced measures then these are detailed as well as any skills needed to carry them out. We will also look at aftercare and the limitations of care without the benefit of a modern health service.

If access to emergency services or normal health care is obtainable this should always be done, the advanced advice and techniques in this book should only be practiced by lay people if no other help is available and would not be for some time.

Scenarios where this could apply is in a Survival situation, where the time normally taken to be rescued may be delayed or when involved in major disaster where normal health services are unable to cope or have ceased to function.

This is a book that will sit firmly on my reference shelves.

If anyone is interested, the book is available here

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/survival-disaster-and-tactical-medicine/15700026

Red

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I really would like to read this book, because I have had more then 10 years of first aid training and I had to apply that too, unfortunately...

The problem is that you have to download it at Lulu's, but I have no idea how to print it. I have serious trouble reading larger pieces of text on a screen....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries :)...its a good book and well worth a look. I must confess, I prefer reading stuff written by people that actually do the stuff they write about...not some "classroom notes" :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Bought the book - very much enjoyed it, great content, good style and layout and it is a good companion to 'Ditch Medicine' .... however .... as a medical book, I was disappointed at the number of spelling mistakes and typos. You may not think this is a serious point but if there is a typo in a drug dosage, we have a potential problem. This made it a good book rather than a great book.

So, if it is effectively re-issued, I would request that it is proof-read before re-release. Sorry to be a party pooper but I believe that this is important.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
Bought the book - very much enjoyed it, great content, good style and layout and it is a good companion to 'Ditch Medicine' .... however .... as a medical book, I was disappointed at the number of spelling mistakes and typos. You may not think this is a serious point but if there is a typo in a drug dosage, we have a potential problem. This made it a good book rather than a great book.

So, if it is effectively re-issued, I would request that it is proof-read before re-release. Sorry to be a party pooper but I believe that this is important.

Fair point, sections of the book were read by various people prior to publication, but nobody read the whole thing and obviously some stuff was missed.
There is a new edition coming out later this year which has a lot more info in it, mainly derived from feedback from the 1st Edition. If anybody spots any typo`s email chris at stone.temple@ntlworld.com and they will be changed if they havent already been spotted. The new edition is written in conjunction with Dr Craig Ellis (Known as BCE on survival Forums) who wrote the excellent Survival and Austure Medicine: An Introduction

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE