Navigation books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
The Natural Navigator also looks to be the perfect book, as well as the Ultimate Navigation Manual. Have many BCUKers read The Natural Navigator and can they attest to its authenticity? I assume the authors methods are accurate and authentic as he has a lot of experience. Worst thing would be to buy a book with mumbo jumbo content.

Thanks.

I have read the Natural Navigator, and spent a day training with the author at the RGS. Very interesting, and I consider the content to be accurate, well-researched etc. (I got a bit bogged down with his second book, The Natural Explorer, though and never made it to the end!)

It's not a training manual on navigation though, but nonetheless fascinating and great for enhancing the navigation experience if that makes any sense; for that I would endorse the recommendation for Lyle Brotherton's book.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The structure of Lyle Brotherton's book is confusing and doesn't make sense. His lesson plan for weekend/phase 1 (beginner) sounds like it requires you to learn bearings first, but that comes later on. Am I supposed to use compass bearings for Day 1 or not? I can't tell. I don't understand because it sounds like you can only do the day 1 tasks if you know to how take bearings, but bearing navigation comes AFTER day 1. Respond only if you've read his book.

Edit: On almost every page starting from orienting the map he writes about bearings this and bearings that... but the bearing lesson comes in weekend 2. That fundamentally makes no sense.

There's nothing I dislike more than confusing structure. And people say this book is well structured. The day 1 plan tells you to take bearings, but you're supposed to be learning bearings on weekend 2 and it only tells you how to take a bearing on weekend 2. Yet it tells you to take bearings for your first lesson. That makes absolutely no sense.

If someone could clarify...

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Day 1 - how to Orient your map, adopt the brace position,aim for attack point,select a handrail, collect features, thumb the map
Equipment -this manual,map of area,grease pencil,plain paper
Day 2 - Pacing count,timing and measured distance,transite lines,

No where does it say you need a compass let alone take compass bearing, a bearing is just the location or position of a place or object from the place you are standing.

Weekend/Phase 2- Taking a bearing

Prior to both of these the book states - to learn a new technique simply select the page it is described on a follow the instructions of how to perform it.
Each technique described in this manual follows the order in which you should learn them.

I think you may have mis read or interpreted something incorrectly, I have many navigation boooks, I think this one is one of the best.
My advice is take it slowly, use the map first in an area you know and practice, then practice again.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Day 1 - how to Orient your map, adopt the brace position,aim for attack point,select a handrail, collect features, thumb the map
Equipment -this manual,map of area,grease pencil,plain paper
Day 2 - Pacing count,timing and measured distance,transite lines,

No where does it say you need a compass let alone take compass bearing, a bearing is just the location or position of a place or object from the place you are standing.

Weekend/Phase 2- Taking a bearing

Prior to both of these the book states - to learn a new technique simply select the page it is described on a follow the instructions of how to perform it.
Each technique described in this manual follows the order in which you should learn them.

I think you may have mis read or interpreted something incorrectly, I have many navigation boooks, I think this one is one of the best.
My advice is take it slowly, use the map first in an area you know and practice, then practice again.

It doesn't make sense still. When it says the equipment you need for lesson 1 it says you don't need a compass, however you need a compass to orient your map. And on "Brace Position" the person is holding a compass and it tells you to take a bearing. Also, on "Catching Features", and remember this is still on the lesson which doesn't require a compass, it actually says "stop and take a bearing from a feature which you can see and which is on on the map to get a fix of where exactly you are along your catching feature."

I really can't tell if I'm supposed to use a compass for day 1. You say you don't need to and it's not mentioned anywhere, but I've given loads of examples where it is. And look, on page 96 at the bottom it definitely says you should take a bearing with your compass. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be going out for day 1 with just the manual, map and pencil or I need to read up on bearings first. But then that would go against the structure of the book. You say that a bearing is just the location or position or object from the place one is standing, and yes, you're right, but there seems to be pages filed with compass related detail on a beginner lesson which apparently doesn't want you to use a compass. Either I'm doing the most over thinking of my life or I'm the only one able to note such inconstancies. It's confusing. There are too many flat out contradictions.

Last edited:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I liked Lyle's book and would recommend it. Also recommend ( apologies if this is out of order ) Lyle's forum - micro navigation ( but dont rush there as it seems down today ).

THOaken - to be honest I'd have to go back a re-read the book to check on the points you raise. Please understand - not a belief issue, but it was simply something I didn't pick up on reading it.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I liked Lyle's book and would recommend it. Also recommend ( apologies if this is out of order ) Lyle's forum - micro navigation ( but dont rush there as it seems down today ).

THOaken - to be honest I'd have to go back a re-read the book to check on the points you raise. Please understand - not a belief issue, but it was simply something I didn't pick up on reading it.

I just fundamentally don't understand what I'm supposed to do for day 1, lesson 1. As I wrote in my previous post, there are so many examples in almost all the pages of lesson 1 that say you need to take a bearing with a compass on the lesson that says you don't need a compass. That just doesn't make sense.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
why not read 2 chapters and combine the knowledge that you now have and go from there, its very basic stuff, or if it is to complicated send the book back

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
why not read 2 chapters and combine the knowledge that you now have and go from there, its very basic stuff, or if it is to complicated send the book back

It's not too complicated. I'm just confused about the structure of the book and the contradictory nature of it. Look, I'm someone who focuses on structure quite a lot as I like to make my own structured plans for the things I do and I get rather agitated.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Then maybe a different book would be better, like the ultimate navigation manual
That's the book I'm talking about. Oh, forget it.

Edit: I just need someone to tell me what they did on day 1. There needs to be an explanation for this. It seems too contradictory. It can't just be me.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
When it references taking a bearing with the compass in the Ultimate Navigation Manual lesson 1, is it THIS type of bearing he means http://www.compassdude.com/compass-use.shtml or is Lyle Brotherton talking about the type of bearing on a compass which you have to adjust for magnetic declination and everything else? The structure of the book still doesn't make sense, even if the bearing on the website article above is the type of bearing that Lyle Brotherton is talking about in lesson 1 because you still need to use a compass!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
THOaken. Did you look at the manuals I sent you the links for, they start at the basics and get better.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I started off with a book by Peter Cliff, recommended when I went to Glenmore Lodge Outdoor Centre, in 1983 still a great book - updated.

Finally read all the posts here, never thinking someone else would recommend this old and basic book that simply covers it all(read post 19 and 20).

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
THOaken. Did you look at the manuals I sent you the links for, they start at the basics and get better.

Yes, and they are good, Wingstoo. The theory is all there. Please understand that I'm just trying to, well, understand why such a popular book, The Ultimate Navigation Manual, has such a confusing structure. That is what concerns me at the moment. If I don't have any luck trying to understand the UNM I will turn to your manuals.

I'll repeat again for those with the UNM. I'm not finding the theory of the book hard to understand, I'm just confused as to why there are so many contradictions in lesson plan 1. I don't know if I'm supposed to use a compass or not and I don't know why the author writes about bearings and also mentions a compass in the same sentence when, apparently, you all say that the very first lesson in the plan has nothing to do with compasses. Let me explain again, because I REALLY need this clarified:
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to actually do for lesson plan 1 and I don't know if I'm supposed to use a compass or not. That is definitely not clear. Orienting my map requires a compass. I don't know what he means by bearings because the author keeps bringing bearings up but also mentions or shows a compass in the same page. I'll repeat again that I know what a bearing is, but the ultimate problem I'm having with the lesson is the sheer contradiction. A compass isn't listed in the equipment you will need section, so why is there loads of content in lesson 1 about bearings and using a compass?

I really don't know if I'm explaining this right. I know what I mean.

Last edited:

Fjord

Dec 28, 2013
Bolton
Clearly you think a compass is required... Why not just use it? You're going to learn far more by doing than you are by reading.

It seems that this book has distressed you quite considerably so I would really advise sending it back or selling it...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Don't worry, he isn't going to go far enough off the beaten track to require a compass, unless they start making one that self edits every 30 seconds!

Sorry, i try to resist but, by golly it is very difficult.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE