Navigation books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm on the hunt for books today, some Bushcraft related. I'm looking for books to help me better understand and analyze the natural world. I have purchased two tracking books, but I'm also looking for a very good, reliable and comprehensive book on outdoor navigation. I'd very much appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294 This looks absolutley brilliant and exactly what I need. Anyone have this?

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Haven't got one myself, learnt the basics in the scouts. This book gets good reviews and is a reasonable price. Hope the link works link hasn't worked, look it up on amazon.

If it doesn't its called the Collins ultimate navigation guide

Hope this helps :)!

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Now that is what I was looking for. Look how many five star reviews it has. I like that. Looks to be a good reputable book and will be another book purchased today.

Thank you Clouston98 and Hiho.

No problem mate! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Gatty book is great in general and an interesting read but can be quite flying specific. The Tristan Gooley "Natural Navigator" offers a different take on finding your way through a landscape and gets you looking carefully at your surroundings - never a bad thing. Lyle Brotherton's book is almost definitely the most comprehensive but is a bit 'dry'. The NNAS Outdoor Navigation book by Pat and Brian Mee is pretty good and definitely worth a look.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The Natural Navigator also looks to be the perfect book, as well as the Ultimate Navigation Manual. Have many BCUKers read The Natural Navigator and can they attest to its authenticity? I assume the authors methods are accurate and authentic as he has a lot of experience. Worst thing would be to buy a book with mumbo jumbo content.

Thanks.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I assume the author's methods are accurate and authentic as he has a lot of experience. Worst thing would be to buy a book with mumbo jumbo content.

Thanks.

I spent a day with the author, up on the South Downs, during which he showed me how to put the things into practice. It was both instructive, very interesting and did actually work for the majority of the time.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
+1 for the Natural Navigator, love this book as it slows me down and appreciate my route, I usually tab head down arms swinging, now looking all the time for indicators. He has a few things on YouTube, Tristan Gooley

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Mountain Navigation by Pete Cliff is the one single book that I'd consider "must have" for map and compass navigation in the UK using OS 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 series maps. It's a simple step by step guide to using a compass and how to read and interpret a map, how to plan a trip, how to go about learning how far you walk in given terrain. It's all you'd ever need, all the rest is practice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Na...389602368&sr=8-1&keywords=Mountain+Navigation

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
Mountain Navigation by Pete Cliff is the one single book that I'd consider "must have" for map and compass navigation in the UK using OS 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 series maps. It's a simple step by step guide to using a compass and how to read and interpret a map, how to plan a trip, how to go about learning how far you walk in given terrain. It's all you'd ever need, all the rest is practice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Na...389602368&sr=8-1&keywords=Mountain+Navigation
100% agree. old book but best I've ever read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE