Natural material Packframe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've got a soft spot for the Roycroft Pack Frame first introduced to Mors Kochanski by Tom Roycroft then reintroduced to social media bushcraft by Dave Canturbury.
However it has certain downsides
You cant access the kit inside it unless you unwrap the whole bundle which to get a water bottle or bite to eat is somewhat irksome.
So today i had a mess around in the shed with some jute, some hazel and a yugoslavian army surplus haversack to see what work arounds i could come up with.
20171213_135112.jpg
After an initial failure i added a third crosspiece
20171213_144541.jpg
This is phase one R&D but i think it has potential.
By threading the top crossbar through the loops in the yugo pack its firmly attached to the pack frame and i can easily access the day to day or regular used items whilst still having tarp and bedding bundled up yet attached seperately

Last edited:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Yes, nicely done amigo.

Has a lot of potential I'm sure.

Did you carve any joints where the pieces meet or are they just lashed?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting!
When using my Roycroft I have hung a haversack off the top joint by shortening the shoulder strap as much as poss and then securing it by having a reach of cord pulling from the shoulder strap (where it meets the bag) down to the bottom corners of the frame - all this on top of the main pack bundle - TBH it carried a bit low and far from the back to be ideal.
I will be interested in how much flex you get in the rectangular frame and if it needs diagonal bracing if use with a load - keep us updated!

I will be interested in how much flex you get in the rectangular frame and if it needs diagonal bracing if use with a load - keep us updated!
So will I John, so will I....
I think its dependant on the load i put on it and how/where i may attach items such as bowsaw and axe.
I had the haversack and a blanket on there whilst wearing it and it certainly felt comfy
However i was only in my shed so not really arduous terrain

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
my roycroft - I cannot find a pic with the haversack but the strap went above the pack but under the green bedroll.... which is lashed to the top of the pack 003 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPG 007 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPG .003 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPG

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Can you make some sirt of flat padding for the ropes?
You would not be able to carry much weight for long. Cuts off the blood supply to the arms.

The pack weighed about 11kg, so not to much of a problem. Two 50mm wide leather strips threaded onto the rope will help.

Some great pack frames here! Love that toggle system too Colin.

I've fancied making one for a while, more like yours Sam but the sides made from one long piece bent over at the top, though yours is probably more practical for attaching kit along the top support.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of some Willow I have bent for that purpose Hamish.
IMG_20171214_094745.jpg
It is known to work, even Otzi used one.
7dYu7hL[1].jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE