Name of the simplest knot

• Thread starter Deleted member 56522
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56522

I am trying to describe the first part of a reef knot or shoe tying. The knot you "tie" when you fold your arms. It's hardly a knot at all, just a twist and is seldom ever secure except for material like withies.

I was about to call it a "half hitch" (as in round turn and two half hitches). It is similar to an "overhand knot", but not quite. There may not be a name for it.

Any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Granny knot :)

It's really not though (no pun intended) Ashley gives the Granny knot as that simple knot and then another done the same....but not made like the reef knot.
The Granny Knot if pulled at one end will collapse into two half hitches.

D

Deleted member 56522

Granny knot :)

It's really not though (no pun intended) Ashley gives the Granny knot as that simple knot and then another done the same....but not made like the reef knot.
The Granny Knot if pulled at one end will collapse into two half hitches.
"Simple knot" ... that might work.

A granny is two of "them" ... so is a reef, but they twist opposite ways. If I put two bits of wire side by side and turn then 360degrees, that's a simple "twist". I suppose if I took a withy around a bundle and then brought the end back to the loop and tucked in the end into the loop, I'd call it a "tuck".

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think to be a knot it has to not come undone under tension. It might have a name as a half hitch does.
There are actual 4 knots that are almost the same so square (reef), thief, granny and possibly the surgeon.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I would have said a granny knot or overhand knot describe a single piece of rope or line?

When you say the start of shoe tying, then that would describe two ends of rope or line? As you say hardly a knot at all. Purely based on friction rather than being able to be cinched down properly. Perhaps a bight?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I think the OP is looking for a name referring to the first part of the knot "structure" as it is initially laid-in ..so, if my assumption is correct, then that'd be either a , "full turn" or a "single twist" . IMHO the resulting knot is very prone to slippage,unless it lays hard atop of something circular in section.... honest, its inappropriate use has been the cause of very many accidents due to slipping...even when tied in natural fibre cord.
Gaan, canny wie it,
Regards All
Ceeg

D

Deleted member 56522

I would have said a granny knot or overhand knot describe a single piece of rope or line?

When you say the start of shoe tying, then that would describe two ends of rope or line? As you say hardly a knot at all. Purely based on friction rather than being able to be cinched down properly. Perhaps a bight?
it's an odd knot, because the better the cord, the worse it holds. If you were to take two bramble shoots, it probably holds quite well. A knobbly bit of vine, and it will interlock and hold well. But try it on good nylon climbing rope and you could probably blow on it and it would loosen.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It’s an overhand knot..

If you mirror the pattern (left over right,right over left) it becomes a reef knot. If you don’t mirror the pattern it’s a granny knot. If you re-thread the bitter end back through it becomes a rethreaded overhand or an overhand on the bight.

Reactions: Stew

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I am trying to describe the first part of a reef knot or shoe tying. The knot you "tie" when you fold your arms. It's hardly a knot at all, just a twist and is seldom ever secure except for material like withies.

I was about to call it a "half hitch" (as in round turn and two half hitches). It is similar to an "overhand knot", but not quite. There may not be a name for it.

Any suggestions?
Hmm, I still believe that you're after naming just that single full wrap, as you say "hardly a knot at all". Quite rightly so. With that and my previous post in mind, my offering of a name, to suit, would have to be the, "Ono".
For as sure as eggs is eggs, that is what folk will be saying ( or rather screaming) to themselves, should they depend on its minimal friction in this form.

Regards all
Ceeg
edit for info. Having said that, there are certain forms of this sort of layup, (Haywire twist for example), that will be secure due to the nature of the material itself. On the other hand, most shoe laces don't come in wire form.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 56522

Hmm, I still believe that you're after naming just that single full wrap, as you say "hardly a knot at all". Quite rightly so. With that and my previous post in mind, my offering of a name, to suit, would have to be the, "Ono".
For as sure as eggs is eggs, that is what folk will be saying ( or rather screaming) to themselves, should they depend on its minimal friction in this form.

Regards all
Ceeg
edit for info. Having said that, there are certain forms of this sort of layup, (Haywire twist for example), that will be secure due to the nature of the material itself. On the other hand, most shoe laces don't come in wire form.
Love "Ono!" ... just remembered its the knot I used to use to tie my coat around my waste when walking, so it does get used.

I've also realised that there is an even simpler "knot"!! That is half a clove hitch. The rope goes around a round object and then across its end and the tension in the rope prevents the other end from slipping.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I call it an overhand knot. The reef knot is my most used knot.
I would argue for the figure of eight however I do use it to tie my shoes.

I've also realised that there is an even simpler "knot"!! That is half a clove hitch. The rope goes around a round object and then across its end and the tension in the rope prevents the other end from slipping.
That is a half hitch in fact it is a round turn and 1 half hitch and it will not hold for long. That is why the hitch is called a round turn and 2 half hitches which does make a clove hitch.

Reactions: Billy-o
D

Deleted member 56522

I would argue for the figure of eight however I do use it to tie my shoes.

That is a half hitch in fact it is a round turn and 1 half hitch and it will not hold for long. That is why the hitch is called a round turn and 2 half hitches which does make a clove hitch.
I've realised there is yet another "simple knot". If you go to make the first part of a shoe tying knot, you first cross the laces and then tuck one lace under the other. If, however, you were going to make a timber hitch, you got around the opposite lace and tuck the lace under itself (and then repeat). A timber hitch is the name for that knot, whether you have two, three, four, or ... going to extreme, just the first tuck.

With only the first tuck ... I can tighten a nylon cord around my wrist. I can envisage a use, but I think it counts as a knot. I only thought of it because I was thinking of the following:

A timber hitch gives us another knot that I can see being used. If a (very pliant) withy is taken around a bundle of sticks and then formed into a timber hitch, and, if the loose end is then tightened to tighten up the bundle, then the loose end can be tucked under itself several times to create a timber hitch loop on each side.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Not sure if I am understanding your explanation as this is a timber hitch.
fig38000.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE