naive question re rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
Hey this is a daft q but I really have no idea. I got myself a highlander forces 44 ruck a wee while ago but a few things are puzzling me.

The "daisy chains" on the back face of it, are these meant for gear attachement with karabiners?

Also on the flat base of the pack, there are 4 webbing loops, what would these typically be used for? Attaching a rollmat or something? How would something like that be attached to them?

I've already sussed the webbing and D-rings on the shoulder straps I think, found them really handy for attaching stuff i need to use often without taking the pack off, even a waterbottle etc.

Oh yea and another thing puzzling me, is how on earth they can produce something as solid looking as this for the price! Spose it must be made in china.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I usually put some webbing through the loops at the bottom and strap on either my tent or a roll mat, sometimes I also put paracord onto the loops at the back and strap light stuff on, eg jackets etc. But whatever works for you is right

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I believe the daisly chains are used with carabiners, or to attach stuff verticaly using cord or straps. or tied on (eg coils of rope)

I think the bottom loop you refer to is intended to be used with an ice axe, the loop holds the head, while a strap futher up holds the shaft. if there are four you could allways run cords or straps across them in pairs. then use these to secure a roll mat or sleeping bag to the bottom

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
I believe the daisly chains are used with carabiners, or to attach stuff verticaly using cord or straps. or tied on (eg coils of rope)

I think the bottom loop you refer to is intended to be used with an ice axe, the loop holds the head, while a strap futher up holds the shaft. if there are four you could allways run cords or straps across them in pairs. then use these to secure a roll mat or sleeping bag to the bottom

Ah the bottom loop also has 2 other loops going up the back of the pack, i figured that was for an iceaxe but I'm planning to use them to hold my fly rod tube, should be ideal. Not quite ready to tackle frozen peaks yet heheh.

It is the loops on the base of the pack I was thinking of like alpha_centaur said, definately seem ideal for attach a rollmat with more webbing or paracord. Tarp, hammock and sleeping bag all fit inside the main part of the ruck thankfully, my only gripe is that the side pockets are just a *tad* too small to fit the crusader cookset in its pouch....

thanks for the pointers anyway!

Oh just one other thing, with the shoulder and waist straps adjusted to suit me, there is quite a bit of excess webbing left hanging loose thru the buckles and dangling all over the place, is there anyway to deal with that or is that normal?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Oh just one other thing, with the shoulder and waist straps adjusted to suit me, there is quite a bit of excess webbing left hanging loose thru the buckles and dangling all over the place, is there anyway to deal with that or is that normal?

That's normal, I roll that up and secure with some black and nasty

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I've only ever used the daisy chain things on my Forces 15 once, and that was to clip on my rear bike light when I was carrying a rather large load on my pannier (40-pint pressure barrel I think). Seems mainly pointless to me but considering the quality of design and manufacture of the thing there has to be some purpose to it.

Ah the bottom loop also has 2 other loops going up the back of the pack, i figured that was for an iceaxe
Or an axe. The rain-cover might come in useful here when among the more 'sensitive' types. ("Hello police? There's a crazy man here with an axe and covered in army gear and perhaps a gun, please send an armed response unit...")

Two questions there. Yes to both. You can cut and re-seal the webbing, or as already said tape them.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Two questions there. Yes to both. You can cut and re-seal the webbing, or as already said tape them.

I would generally advocate against cutting the webbing, for two reasons. Firstly, if you end up wearing a lot of extra clothing, how long does the straps need to be to accomodate this? Secondly, it is a handy source of "spare" webbing for field repairs (e.g.a short bit sewn on to hold somehting in place).

If you are out in"mitten times" sewing the ends into loops (say 5 cm long) will make it easier to grab them with the mittens on. Old advice when byuing kit that will be used in winter; bring your mittens to the store, operate all zippers, butckles and adjustments wearing them. Then add cord loops to all zipper pulls, since I have not seen one pack where the zipper pulls came easilly manageable with thick mittens.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
All those loops and attachment points are for doing what you please with them.
They are there to give you some flexibility in how you carry your kit. They are not designed for any one particular purpose.
I tend to attach stuff using bungees, then use those bungess for setting up my tarp - so much easier than using paracord. And quicker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE