Myocardial Infarction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Not myself but I know several people that have suffered from heart conditions and gone on to continue to enjoy the world's wild places.

Ran Fiennes would be a famous example currently climbing Mt Vinson.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Heart attack with added blue lights then stents etc but, as I have moaned, not allowed by wife to overnight solo. Paddling certainly solo etc. Knee now dodgy so long walks not so much. Did a 27 mile charity bike ride for the Heart people a couple of months after the attack. The rehab people not allowing one to be idle.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Not MI's, but I can thinks of several of my patients who don't stop activities due to their condition (mainly cancers) with appropriate allowances or account made for physical limitations. If anything, they seem to have a keener appreciation of the activity...

rancid badger

Hmm, it's mainly the paddling side of things I'm wondering about to be honest, particularly the cold water immersion issues when you take a ducking. Apparently its really not very good for your ticker to go splosh into very cold water.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Anyone on here who has had a major heart attack (major as in blue lights,emergency procedures,out of the blue etc) who continues to spend their leisure time in remote locations or paddling, hill walking etc?

Yes, have stent will travel but the path back to the bush was not without some opposition from the wife, mother, my doctor and the cardio rehab team.

PS: Idle curiosity or have you joined the GTN spray owners club?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As others have said, not myself but I know several people that have had major heart surgery and continue their outdoor activity. Some even continue piloting small aircraft and skydiving.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Never think of the problems of cold water immersion whether swimming or paddling. But here is an odd thing, I think the pundits are wrong.If I go swimming I go in slowly splashing water over the neck and eventually take the plunge, brrr, breathing must be controlled and all the rest of it. However, tip over the coracle or capsize the touring kayak or even, as I did recently, trip over into a stream while gold panning and none of that reaction we are told to expect. Possibly adrenaline combats the cold reaction and perhaps the situation is just too interesting for silly body reactions.

I have noticed this in other people as well, for example, my wife gets into the sea very slowly when swimming but years ago we were in my brothers dinghy coming in to the beach in roughish conditions when he told her to hop out with the painter, she did but he miscalculated and she all but vanished beneath the waves. A combination of fury and hilarity also seems to ward of these deadly conditions associated with sudden immersion.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Never think of the problems of cold water immersion whether swimming or paddling. But here is an odd thing, I think the pundits are wrong.If I go swimming I go in slowly splashing water over the neck and eventually take the plunge, brrr, breathing must be controlled and all the rest of it. However, tip over the coracle or capsize the touring kayak or even, as I did recently, trip over into a stream while gold panning and none of that reaction we are told to expect. Possibly adrenaline combats the cold reaction and perhaps the situation is just too interesting for silly body reactions.

I have noticed this in other people as well, for example, my wife gets into the sea very slowly when swimming but years ago we were in my brothers dinghy coming in to the beach in roughish conditions when he told her to hop out with the painter, she did but he miscalculated and she all but vanished beneath the waves. A combination of fury and hilarity also seems to ward of these deadly conditions associated with sudden immersion.

The gasp reflex is a reality for most people, however not everybody experiences it, some people are better adapted for cold water than others, that is evolution for you.

rancid badger

It's not the gasp reflex that is the primary concern for someone with coronary artery disease being dumped into very cold water but the high risk of further heart attack due to vasoconstriction, a situation where the heart has to pump significantly harder to shift the same amount of blood to the vital organs.

And this in spite of repeatedly being told that, once the required stents have been installed and after a reasonable period of cardiac rehabilitation, your heart will be in far better shape than it had been for years before your attack.

All a bit confusing but then I suppose everyone's outcome after an attack will be slightly different.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A good mate of mine that I've spent many days on the road with had a serious heart defect... not entirely sure on the detail as I've never asked properly, but he had to have some flexible piping put in his heart to keep it pumping.

May not be the same thing, but I gather it was serious for him at the time... he's lucky to be about.

Since though he has been out and about... found a new enthusiasm for life and he's on the beach, walking the hills and generally enjoying himself.

As I say, can't say what the medical term is for what he had, but his brother died from it and luckily they caught him in time. He's a new man and lives life to the full... because lets face it, life is for living and you don't know when things will go pear shaped because some pea-nas decides to drink and drive on a road you're on, or your trusty car decides today is the day to ignore the brake pedal. Not being morbid... just realistic... have a laugh, enjoy life and remember that you can never go too far! :D

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I've been watching this thread with some interest. Two years ago I had a MI with two arrests and an emergency stent. I'm not sure that anyone ever recovers from the emotional trauma. Of course, the doctors told me I should be more active, so I was, and went back camping with the gang within a few months. I carry my medical records with me and someone always knows where to find it in my pack. Physically I was fine. I was much better having stopped smoking, and felt good. But the following year I began to learn that whatever emotional gains I had made, whatever healing I had done, was temporary or was masked by other symptoms and gains. This past year was very difficult. I withdrew from the woods and most activities that would find me alone for any real length of time. I stayed home more. Work was difficult. I've put on two stone since The Incident. I'm really not sure how the rest of this healing is supposed to go. It seems like The Incident happened yesterday, and I'm not sure that will ever stop.

The point of responding wasn't to be gloomy, or to dump all my problems on the group. And even as I type this, I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this, or even if I'll delete it before posting it. But perhaps someone else who's reading this thread and not responding will find it helpful.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Luckily never got that far. Recently had 2 x angis and 3 stents. Waiting for my next appointment for a totally blocked artery to be hopefully unblocked.
Had to miss being out in the autumn. But next Autumn..... Being unable to get out has only made me more determined to do it when i´m better.

rancid badger

I've never heard of anyone having to wait for a totally blocked coronary artery to be stented. Partially obstructed arteries yes but as I understand it, if a coronary artery blocks completely you are having a heart attack.

Could be wrong of course.

Steve

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Not anything heart related, but had to give up snorkelling, and really all my camping activitys, due to my compressed brain stem nerve.Cold water is a big no no, i cant even drink any cold fluid, or cold food. Walking that causes my heart rate to increase can cause symptoms(due to main artery that supplies blood to my brain being the cause of my nerve compression.) Surgery did not cure my condition, and the surgeon has said to try again would proberly lead to life threatening consequences. I take medication every day. This causes various unpleasant symptoms which also restrict my ability to get out and enjoy, what i used to love doing.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I've never heard of anyone having to wait for a totally blocked coronary artery to be stented. Partially obstructed arteries yes but as I understand it, if a coronary artery blocks completely you are having a heart attack.

Could be wrong of course.

Steve

Steve is correct. If your artery is blocked then you are having a heart attack. If they don't do an emergency angioplasty, then you're not in immediate danger. Keep your GTN spray near though. I'm sure that you'll get your stent soon enough.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Steve is correct. If your artery is blocked then you are having a heart attack. If they don't do an emergency angioplasty, then you're not in immediate danger. Keep your GTN spray near though. I'm sure that you'll get your stent soon enough.

My right is blocked. Apparently smaller tributary arteries form, [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]supplying limited oxygen to that part of the heart. The left would have been more serious. Two others were up at 75% and these are now stented. They tried to unblock the right last time but it was hard. Next going in through the groin with a different technique and larger catheter.
Keep taking the tablets and listening to my body. :)
[/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE