My traditional kit: canvas and leather!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
Outstanding young sir! Has to be traditional all the way! You have some beautiful pieces there and I think I'm going to have to purchase a frost river myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Outstanding young sir! Has to be traditional all the way! You have some beautiful pieces there and I think I'm going to have to purchase a frost river myself!

Cheers mate! Yeah you'll not regret it- Frost river kit is the best! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's possibly the most beautiful set up I've seen. I'm converted to vintage and canvas now. Totally stunning...

Really glad you like it! :)

I've got this beast to use now (mainly on canoe trips though)l a truly great axe and a lucky post exam gift for me. Thanks to British Red for the help in choosing:

image.jpg

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
By the way, did you try on the Frost River bags in a shop? If so where? I'm really interested but don't want to buy one online for that money without wearing it first...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
By the way, did you try on the Frost River bags in a shop? If so where? I'm really interested but don't want to buy one online for that money without wearing it first...

I didn't personally- though I had worried a bit, however with my average male size it was a good fit and plenty of room for growth.

I bought mine from WoodlandWays who do have a shop, I believe it's called the world of bushcraft and the details are on their website. They order them and distribute them and sometimes have some in the shop to my understanding. My mam phoned the store and made arrangements for postage and asked a few questions and they couldn't have been more helpful- great people and a great store. I'm sure if you rang them they'd help you out :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well today was kit maintenance before the trip. Bit of sharpening, stropping, just the usual- something I always enjoy doing. Decided to take some nice photos, so here they are:

imagejpg3_zpsac4049ad.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7cc8363c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps022f703b.jpg

imagejpg4_zps30e7929e.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5520d0a8.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsf6eda50c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4c008007.jpg

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Cam how excited are you going to be when angst makes a sheath for that double bit bad boy?!😉😎

Sent from somewhere?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cam how excited are you going to be when angst makes a sheath for that double bit bad boy?!����

Sent from somewhere?

My head will probably explode! I've spoken to him about it already and I'm going for it in the near future unfortunately I'll have to wait till after the move- but It'll be a cracker for sure!

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
Bit of a random question but how wide are the straps that hold the blanket to the pack?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bit of a random question but how wide are the straps that hold the blanket to the pack?

The four attachment points on the pack are about 1 and 1/2 inches wide with the gap for straps at about 1/2 an inch and thick stiff leather. The bedroll straps that attach to those and hold the blanket are about 1/2 an inch. How this helps :).

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Just a question:

Do people in general find traditional kit to be a more sensory experience?

I know I do, it's interesting to me to use it as well :).

Not for me personally. The kit is secondary to the experience of being outdoors. It enables me to enjoy the experience but does not enhance it because of what it is. I can completely understand those think that way though.

That is an excellently thought out and clearly well used, developed pack. Thanks for sharing.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Not for me personally. The kit is secondary to the experience of being outdoors. It enables me to enjoy the experience but does not enhance it because of what it is. I can completely understand those think that way though.

That is an excellently thought out and clearly well used, developed pack. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I get where your coming from, it's all preference really :).

Glad you like the set up!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well today was kit maintenance before the trip. Bit of sharpening, stropping, just the usual- something I always enjoy doing. Decided to take some nice photos, so here they are:

imagejpg3_zpsac4049ad.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7cc8363c.jpg

imagejpg1_zps022f703b.jpg

imagejpg4_zps30e7929e.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5520d0a8.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsf6eda50c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4c008007.jpg

Lovely pictures Cameron, your tinder box is getting a lovely patina on it now. As you've asked elsewhere do folk find it a sensory and sensual experience using some of my trad kit. When I was a winter warrior thrashing my way up mountains and icefalls I could sometimes feel quite divorced from my surroundings and that wasn't the reason for me wanting to be there.

Going back to older fashioned kit has helped reconnect me to the world surrounding me. And I find it aesthetically pleasing to look at and a much more tactile experience. I feel I'm working with nature rather than trying to battle against it.

On the tinder box patina I struggle with an urge to polish it and leave it to develop it's aged appearance. (I have the copper one reather than the brass. Your leather work looks good, we all know from the "Dusters at Dawn" posting that I love burnishing my leather kit. Very satisfying and good for the gear too.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Lovely pictures Cameron, your tinder box is getting a lovely patina on it now. As you've asked elsewhere do folk find it a sensory and sensual experience using some of my trad kit. When I was a winter warrior thrashing my way up mountains and icefalls I could sometimes feel quite divorced from my surroundings and that wasn't the reason for me wanting to be there.

Going back to older fashioned kit has helped reconnect me to the world surrounding me. And I find it aesthetically pleasing to look at and a much more tactile experience. I feel I'm working with nature rather than trying to battle against it.

On the tinder box patina I struggle with an urge to polish it and leave it to develop it's aged appearance. (I have the copper one reather than the brass. Your leather work looks good, we all know from the "Dusters at Dawn" posting that I love burnishing my leather kit. Very satisfying and good for the gear too.

Cheers Colin! And yeah that's it for me, using the old school stuff makes me feel more down to earth as I'm using natures resources (natural fibres etc) to practice bushcraft rather than synthesise stuff and I like that. And I'm with you on the aesthetics and tactile qualities too :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE