My "Topknot" smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thats fantastic...really like that. in between seeing your work and waylands it really temps me to have a go at something, however, just altering a waterproof jacket and sewing a waterproof possibles pouch made me realise id best leave this to know what theyre doing...well done and thanks for sharing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See that wee sample ? Before you buy, try folding it in half or thirds (like a flat felled seam) and sewing it.

It's lovely stuff, but hand sewing isn't going to work, just too damned hard, and most machines will struggle to get any decent tension. It's very, very tightly spun and woven fabric.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I am not too far off the mark the Everest boys used "Grenfell" cloth, a rival to Ventile until the family company was bought out by a bigger company.....
I founf the trick to sewing the fabric I was sewing was to use a ball head needle (used normally for jersey fabric) so as not to cut the tight threads, and a heavy foot pressure.
The main problem I had was that the fabric was so slick as to give the dogs nothing to grip on, resulting in uneven stitch length as they skidded. Maintaining a steady, slow speed helped here, as did using a fairly long stitch. My machine has "sensor tensioning" and that was not such a problem....
I used a 70 needle for all but the pocket corners (up to 11 layers of fabric to go through with the pleated hem and internal reinforcing strip!) when a 100 standard point was needed.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Well John (sir) that looks one good looking old style SAS Topknot smock you made up mate. If you got room in the van i would not mind having a look at it , at the moot i'll bring mine too. As to green buttons, what a job to find them.

As to the cloth i found it on a market stall for £6.00p per meter , and having made a smock from Ventile this cloth looked like ventile but with a finish on it.
I was not sure so i got in touch with John and sent him some of the cloth so he could put his years of experience on it. The answer come back to buy the cloth, and we split what there was between us so that happened. Its just about helping one another out.;)

Cheers Topknot.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Looking good John and a hat tip to Topknot.

Can I ask how much material you used, I have a piece of ventile just shy of 3 meters long, just waiting for sufficient inspiration?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanks John,
My material is 60 inch, but quite lightweight stuff. Been thinking about trousers for a while but can't seem to be convinced by the project.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Much respect. That is a good looking item.

I think a lot of guys are put off messing with sewing machines. When wifey wanted a sewing machine, her argument was that it is just another power tool; just like a jigsaw or a router. She taught me to drive it and I now use it more than she does.

Something that I wish I could get hold of is a bushcrafty pattern book. Still I am gald to get doses of inspiration like this!

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE