My "Topknot" smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been on the sewing machine again, using a very "Ventilish but not quite" fabric found for me by Topknot - cheers mate!
MynewSmock-theTopknot.jpg

Swine of a fabric to sew but - with a little irregularity in stitch length in places and an overlocker that has had to go in to retune - here is my latest piece of kit.
The pattern is based on a 1960s SAS windproof but with some tweeks :)
MynewTopknotSmockhoodup.jpg

Photos by Greg at the start of a days walking on the Pembs Coast Path - a hot day that did not need a jacket......
The fabric is so waterresistant that after making it I washed it to get rid of chalk marks - and the majority of the fabric stayed dry!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the nice coments :)
The black contrast is because I could only get black buttons of the size I wanted in my local Haberdashers - so the zip togglelocks and cord ends had to be black too :D
I have enough fabric to make a larger version for winter (when I find time!) with room for thick woolies under it...tweeking the pattern for this was a chore!
Gore-tex does not visit my house Toddy - except as finished garments :)
The pocket sizing was one of the major tweeks to the SAS smock pattern - I like to put things in my pockets!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Buqqer! Now you've given me the sewing bug again. As if I didn't have enough "projects" on the go already.

I just picked up a Juki DDL227 industrial sewing machine too. This'll be a good project to test it's worthiness.

Lovely job John. Is the pattern available commercially?

Eric

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looking forward to that being up for trades at the back of the camo camper.

LOL!!! got a good chuckle reading that line.

Really great job that John, I'm most impressed. Despite my leg pulling about knit one peral one, I am rather jealous of someone who can make a sewing machine sit up, roll over and play dead. Making a jacket from scratch has got to be soooo satisfying. Well done!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh - I can make a sewing machine play dead OK ... this afternoonI am off to reclaim my overlocker and one of my straight stitchers (see not Gay at all!) from my repair man for the princely sum of £60!
My computer controlled machine could also do with a tweek on the tension control.
I am afraid the pattern is a one off in size "short-ersed fat bloke" - I saw the pictures, looked at a couple of smocks and cut the pattern!
The actual paper pattern is cut out of a roll of wallpaper I got from a charity shop!
2 years studying Fashion Design have paid off!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
LOL!!! got a good chuckle reading that line.

Really great job that John, I'm most impressed. Despite my leg pulling about knit one peral one, I am rather jealous of someone who can make a sewing machine sit up, roll over and play dead. Making a jacket from scratch has got to be soooo satisfying. Well done!

"Kammo Kamper" my old Boxer van is dead - Long live "Son of Kammo Kamper" my Expert van!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE