My prefered cordage technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
To help the beginners out i made this little cordage making video. It doesnt show adding in new fibres but its mainly about the technique. I start off slow abd then build up to my normal speed.

After a long time of fiddling around with cordage fibres this is what i prefer. I dont like the Thigh rolling technique at all.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2qhN1qCdg

Just out of interest, how many of you use this technique also?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
A lot quicker than I can manage! It is the same technique I was taught but it takes practice, I saw a tutorial (by Fenlander I think) using the same basic method but hanging the end you started with over a thorn(or nail) and it holds it out of the way and gives you another hand effectively!
I keep meaning to practice making cordage more, but paracord is so much easier!:eek:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great video Jon! :You_Rock_

It is a new technique on me - I tend to use the 'thigh method' (well I say use..... play at is more accurate :lmao: )

Is a way I will have to try now though! - out of interest what is the fibre you are using?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Thanks for that. Everyone I have seen does something different. Yours is different again, and fairly fast. My current technique is very similar to yours, but I try and get a twist into both fibre bundles at the same time, which is not always successful, depending on thickness, makeup etc.. I will try yours to compare. Yours looks possibly significantly faster.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
i asume you are a lefty?

at least you are working exactly in the "wrong" way from my point of view :D

anyway,thanks for a clear video showing one of the underrated skills in bushcraft.

:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE