My Perfect Stove Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
I'm not sure if it works the same way but the triad shown on the Vargo site has a bowl, (like the pepsi stoves) and a larger hole in the centre (lowest point of the bowl) my question is, is there something to cover it ? if not do you fill the triad till it overflows and the bowl is filled ?
What I'm getting at all the alcohol stoves I've seen have one of either lighting mechanisms;
1. the stove is filled, the fill hole is sealed and a splash of meths is added to the bowl , lit and that starts the vapourisation.
2. the stove is filled, the fill hole is sealed it is sat on a container, which has meths added and lit, again vapourisation occurs.

The Triad seems to have neither, so how does it work ?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Wayland said:
That looks good John.

I have to carry my Water and meths separately of course so they take up extra space but I only use meths if I'm on a long trip.

For a weekend the fuel tabs are enough, especially if I can use the hobo with local fuel for some of the time.

Recently I have been experimenting with having the bottle and mug out of the pouch so I can get a drink easily. The extra space it makes in the pouch I have filed with a 125ml bottle of meths. A clip to hang the mug over a fire, a Wayland chain ;) and tea, coffee, soup etc.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gailainne. My stove works differently I'm afraid. You fill the Puck shaped burner and put a little fuel in the tray of the stand and light it.

The loose fuel then heats the puck and builds up the pressure.

Hopefully someone else will be along that can help you out, if not you can always post it as a new thread / question.

Gailainne

Life Member
Wayland

Thanks for that, I had a look on the Vargo website, and there are two completely dissimilar units, I hadnt realised this before, more research :D

I really like your kit, I look forward to seeing it and you in person at Delamere next month.

regards

Stephen

Wayland

Hárbarðr
MagiKelly said:
Recently I have been experimenting with having the bottle and mug out of the pouch so I can get a drink easily. The extra space it makes in the pouch I have filed with a 125ml bottle of meths. A clip to hang the mug over a fire, a Wayland chain ;) and tea, coffee, soup etc.

I still use my Wayland chain but it's in my heavier kit now with a 12cm billy.

The light weight chain in the picture is enough for the 10cm billy.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok just a thought the one on the left it can be used as a alcohol stove or wood esbit. I put two rods to hold it up for alcohol and wood take the rods out for esbit tabs. The on on the right i turn it over for a bigger pot . The vent holes made with a pouch then cut with tin snips like a v

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Greg said:
I bought this soon to be my new billycan & stove set in Wilkinsons today for £2.99,
Greg. these are a good buy, I bought some for my explorers to keep teabags, sugar bags, coffe etc in at camp, and they do the job well, unless they get crushed in which case the lid becomes a pig to fit.

Luckily In practice you don't want lids that tight for cooking as they would explode. Sorry but I don't know what to suggest as an alternative, maybe make something from ally.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok you all keep saying prefect wood stove i got a real wood stove. A block of wood 4x4x6 or so could use a dry stump i guess . Drill two 1 in. holes or bigger meet at the cross roads 4 nails for pot holder .Put a little alcohol to get it started. or twigs or them fire starter cut in half

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Nice setup Wayland. I was looking at my Military Trangia last night and wondering how to make a similar setup using the Zebra Billy. might have to steal some of you ideas..

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If I'm cooking authentically I tend to use these.

Heavy_Kit_1.jpg

I have to admit I'm still looking for the perfect light weight rations.

I'm not much into veggie dishes and most dehydrated stuff is full of onion which I just can't eat.

I use rice, cous cous or pasta as a base quite a bit and I carry various things to flavour them up.

A packet of cake mix that you can just add water to is good too. If you put a foil cup in the steamer you can steam bake them while you are boiling something else in the bottom, which is useful.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wayland said:
If I'm cooking authentically I tend to use these.

cauldron.jpg

would that be your authentic 'gas bottle' pots? :D - they are ace however they are made mate! ;)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
To me there is no perfect just a favorite. One that you can control cook not burn the food etc either it be big or small. Now that said i got a shop full of stoves 100 or more i like them all. Now here is one of my favorite i got 4 of them its a taykit it all folds flat the two sides is the case rest goes inside its about 5x5x1 when flat burnes coleman fuel no pumping self pressure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE