My own field/land - Half day out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
Well, I woke up at 8am today and seeing as its my day off and the sun is shining i decided to pack a day sack and go set up camp down in one of the fields we own, 15min walk from the house.

Has the river churn running through it to so thats a bonus.

First job was to clear a little space, then gather firewood and small sticks to light with. Once i had the fire stoked it was time to get a brew going. Whilst waiting for the water to boil i gathered and chopped firewood for now and for the next time i go down there.

The way ive found best for me to the light a fire is to use a cotton wool pad, dribble a few drops of meths on it from a 50ml bottle i carry and then spark her up. Wind doesnt blow it out and it gives you a few mins to stack it up.

Took a tin of soup with me for lunch as it was still pretty chilly out and its easy to cook and eat. I was suprised how quick things heat up in the billy hung over a fire.

I took my knife, folding saw, hatchet (didnt use lol), firesteel, brew kit, tarp to sit on, 1ltr water and my billy with a mug.

Pictures speak a 1000 words so to say.

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1205.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

DSCF1198.jpg

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1196.jpg

DSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1190.jpg

Stupid photobucket put the pics in reverse :(

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Great day out! For a big lad you didn't take a lot of food, I'd take more than that! :)

I'd recommend minimizing the evidence that someone is using the spot, for example I'd take up the turf where I make a fire and replace it afterwards. Well, I'd normally do that anyway if there isn't a permanent fire pit. If you leave firewood stacked you will very often find it's gone when you get back, either taken or burnt where it is. I've seen literally tons disappear in a couple of days, both stolen and maliciously burnt.

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
Great day out! For a big lad you didn't take a lot of food, I'd take more than that! :)

It was more of an excuse to use my billy really and light a fire with my new steel than anything else but in doing so ive found a nice little spot and will be making a semi permanant shelter down there soon with my brother. No one goes down there anyway so hopefully theft shouldnt be an issue.

Most of the wood is what i would call over-seasoned maybe verging on rotten but it still burns very well.

I have an old 13" steel wheel im gonna lug down next time to use as a fire pit thing and get a rack to sit over for cooking on.

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
We get brown trout and occasionaly ive caught rainbow trout.

Nice and fresh flavoured when they are caught, gutted and steamed all in 30 mins :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE