My new SWAK, and SWAK discussion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Martyn said:
Isn't that the wrong way round? It would make the kitchen knife have broad, fat bevels like a woodlore.

Nope it's right

profile B from your pic. Most kitchen knives are ground in the 40-50talto angle for the final edge

global knives use 30degree total
victorinox 45degree total
Adams 40degree total
Taylor eye witness 43degree total
(if I rememberd right)

If we nit pick most kitchen knives are ground on rather large wheels but only very slight hollow grind. If you have something as hollow ground as the diagram it hit problems becasue you get a more sudden increase in blade thickness.which means yuo suddenly have to put more force in to move the food out of the way, if you use a pritty flat grind your doing it from the start so you get more even force required. This helps as you often have to cut through a tough skin anyway at the end of a cut

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
Nope it's right

profile B from your pic. Most kitchen knives are ground in the 40-50talto angle for the final edge

Ahhhh, the final edge - not the main bevels. Sorry, I misunderstood. Kitchen knives have secondary edge bevels. It's these that are ground at 20-25 degrees, not the primary bevels.

We're at cross purposes here andy, as i think the reference to bevels is to the primary grind angle, not the actual edge.

See in this pic...
grind5.jpg

I'm referencing the angles in purple, not the edge. A victorinox may have it's edge ground at 45 deg, but it definitely doesnt have it's primary bevels ground at that angle. You threw me as the discussion is about the impact of the primary bevel angles on cutting veg and such.

Can you explain to me how something has a 12.5 degree edge? I think you may be mixing your primary and secondary bevel angles here, as I cant think how anything can have a 12.5 degree secondary edge, it's so shallow, it would extend yards up the sides of even a thin knife - so far up, it would look like a primary bevel - surely?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I was talking about the mora which only has one bevel

I wonderd if we confused each other. I was talking in a purely food sense so the final edge of most kitchen knives and the bevel of a mora

I think the angle at the spine of a victorinox is about 6.5 degrees per side

Some Japaneese knives do have secondary bevels close to 12.5 per side. Tend to be thin knives that would almost be a full flat and the 25degree edge makes them a tiny bit stronger (a lot have a bevel on one side of about 15-18) Not many people buy the damacus kitchen knives at £230 for a set of three though (having said that they sold out)

does this make sense to people?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
This helps illustrate what I mean....

grindangles001.gif

You can see how a primary grind of 10 degrees would travel way up the sides of a 2mm thick (overall) knife.

This makes me thing that an edge angle of 12.5 degrees is too shallow for anything thicker than a scalpel.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
I was talking about the mora which only has one bevel

I wonderd if we confused each other. I was talking in a purely food sense so the final edge of most kitchen knives and the bevel of a mora

I think the angle at the spine of a victorinox is about 6.5 degrees per side

Some Japaneese knives do have secondary bevels close to 12.5 per side. Tend to be thin knives that would almost be a full flat and the 25degree edge makes them a tiny bit stronger (a lot have a bevel on one side of about 15-18) Not many people buy the damacus kitchen knives at £230 for a set of three though (having said that they sold out)

does this make sense to people?

Ahhh, OK, we cross posted.

I get ya now. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Pict said:
The SWAK is as near to perfect for my purposes as I can ask from a nine-dollar knife. Mac

Pict, that was a very nice review of the SWAK. For the price, they sure are hard to beat. And they are so light you can carry an extra in your pack and not notice it. I really like them for backpacking mainly because of their light weight. Also, having a kydex sheath made for them is worth it, imo. I like to carry mine on my pack strap, upside down, so it's handy while hiking with a backpack that has a hipbelt.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Hoodoo,

That kydex sheath is a real looker and a solid piece of gear. I must admit I did drool a bit more than I usually do. Spending money on the SWAK was what I was trying to avoid by buying a SWAK in the first place. I don't think I'll outfit my loaner knives with them but I have also settled on the SWAK as my daughters field knife and a kydex sheath is looking like a birthday present. Mac

Sajuma

Dec 19, 2003
Near Geneva
rapidboy said:
They just end up with bits missing from them ,bent blades or sharpened to the point that they are unusable.
They are cheap and save my good knives from rough treatment.
I was doing a bit of DIY at home today laying a foundation for a new garden path and i was using it to cut open bags of stones ,sand and cement and i wouldn't like to use anything more expensive.
I was using it as a chisel yesterday and it got hammered through a stud wall !
Don't tell anyone over at British Blades or they might excommunicate me for crimes against a blade :eek:):

I heard you! BB shall know about this and you now what that means!!! :nono:
:wink: :wink: :Crazy_071
Juha
P.S. I just couldnt resist...

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
I received my Mora knives some days ago (from Rob Williams, a great deal!). I bought them because of the many positive messages on this forum about these knives. I ordered two SWAK (high-carbon) and for my friend one Clipper (also high carbon). They are sharp as a razor blade!
You won't find a better knife for that price! I can just recommend it.
frostsmora_1.jpg

frostsmora.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE