My new outdoor cooking blog, ash on the fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Another great post. Like you say, it's familiarising your self with regulating the temperature that's key - smaller batons etc. The skillet is great too, optimised for bush cooking. The Cadac BBQs 'Skottel' is a similar pan, use it with gas though :(
I wouldn't mind trying a teriyaki or szechuan dish on one of those skillets. I think it would work well as you don't need to keep moving the food like a stir fry.

Cheers for sharing, look forward to your next post!

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Just posted up a new post on a different way of cake baking! Was a steep learning curve but I am happy with the end result.

Would love to know your thoughts

Bitter chocolate spice cake

Using soley lumpwood charcoal made me have to work hard!

Ash.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like that, I've not had much luck with cakes, but it would be good to add to the menu at camp....

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
John

I was finding I was burning the tops/bottoms of a lot of stuff, this approach overcame that. It does however give a slightly heavier cake. If you do try it out I would love to know how you got on.

Ash

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
With "regular" items I was burning things, but I had the charcoal too close/touching the base, and too much on the lid. I also wasnt as good at rotating the oven base and lid as I should have. I will give cake a go though!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just posted up a new post on a different way of cake baking! ... Would love to know your thoughts ...

Brown sugar! Now you're talking my language. :)

Just curious and ignorant (I'm no chef, nor even a cook), why unsalted butter if you're going to add the salt? I know it isn't ordinary salt but is there all that much salt in salted butter?

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Cheers for the positive comments. T^he lack of internet was frustrating!

With regards to the salt I think they use unsalted butter so that they can adjust the salt content to the reciepe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE