My new old Anvil

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I had asked my dad to ask his scrap merchant friend if he could keep his eyes open for a small anvil for me and hes come up trumps for me :D it weights around the 60kg ish
This is what it looked like when I got it today
DSCF0001-1.jpg

And after a wee while it now looks like this
DSCF0005.jpg

So its another good toy to play with :D

So big thanks to Porky Bell for the anvil

cheers Russ

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Very nice!
wish I could get one but the ones on eckbay etc cost too much in postage and I havn't seen any around here for sale.
Alan

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I did say to him anything that I can lift and he knows I can lift a fair bit :rolleyes::D

No there no stamps or marks on it :eek:

cheers Russ

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
launditch1 no worries if you look closely at the pictures you can see its faced with a steel plate I don't know it it came as standard with it of if its been refaced :)

cheers Russ

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
:)I cleaned mine up with a wire brush in a small angle grinder and rubbed oil on it with wire wool and its fine for a few weeks :) but you need to top it up every now and then :)

cheers Russ

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
If anyone wants it, I have an anvil just like that which needs to be loved. I have no love for anvils, you can't grow anything on them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Everything Mac about that one :D

There's been a solid suggestion for a knifemaking course at Comriecroft, and an anvil like that would come in awful handy :D

cheers,
M

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Anvils will eventually get a nice even brown patina. No doubt a form of rust, but it seems to stop right there. I have an anvil that has been in the family since the 1950s and it was an antique when purchased. It has received no care and looks the same today as then. The surface is smooth and not pitted at all.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
just sent Locum76 a pm.

that anvil would indeedy come in awful handy for the knife making course.

You have done a good job with that anvil Russ - looks really nice!!

The bashing is infectious isn't it :D

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE