"Here, borrow my knife" + how to make use of scrap! lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, it happened.

I did the kind and generous thing of giving a knife to someone who did not have one. A nice, shiny and capable knife for someone who needed to do some whittling and just have a useful tool.

Originally bought for myself because it looked neat. The Rough rider elephants toe nail knife. Really cool and chunky, well worth the price I might add.

L7Ig8Rm.jpg

The story begins with a guitar found in a skip. Apparently it was fixable but the person had limited tools, I gave him a dremel type tool, the knife and a few other bits of no value. Apparently the only obstacle during restoration was a small hard bit of wood. Apparently it was only 1/64th of an inch in size.

I was told the tip of the blade snapped! I said no worries I'll grind it back and fix it up for you...

Well..

To say I was shocked when I received it is an understatment. Speechless, maybe?

Anyway, have a look for yourself..

vQesPMz.jpg
PP4vYhD.jpg

Did someone say hammer time? lol! what a mess. Totally unexpected use from someone who is capable of being very practical and intelligent. According the to the hazey details of the ordeal (that make less sense each time I ask..) the bit of wood wouldn't budge even after the knife and a drill but finally a hacksaw blade.

Less of that and more of this!...

EEUNzgE.jpg

I see use in the scrap. I'll melt down the brass. I reckon I can make use of the blades after some careful grinding, maybe two carving blades. But what got me the most excited was the back springs!

In the hand their future sparked in my eyes, two awls! simply grind and reshape of the tips and some small scales. :)

Although I'm baffled and annoyed, I like to think some good can be made of the bad. Providing I play nice I can make four tools form the scrap of one (that was destined for the bin by the person who did it).

Stay tuned for the progress and thanks for readng!

Samon

Reactions: badoosh
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Very disrespectful, shame there a nice knife! was thinking of something like that for the moors, Y'know you could make your own pen knife making use of those back springs.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd have bought a replacement as I hid my face in shame.

Had a numpty break the tip off one of mine on a dig. Cretin said, "Oh. Ooops. Sorry about that. No hard feelings, eh ?", and about turned and sauntered away.

I don't lend knives now.....well, unless I know you very well :)

Good on you doing something practical with the remains :D

M

Reactions: pteron

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You did give it, so it was his to destroy. :poke: Of course, if I were you, I would not be able to be cool about it, :aargh:even if it was his to do with as he pleased:slap:. I would be insulted and angry. I almost never lend tools, and I very rarely give them away. I have wanted to see them again afterwards, and about half the time they have not been looked after as well as I would have done. Gave one of my knives, in Paul Bos treated ATS34, to a family friend, a farmer. Asked how he was getting on with it a while later and he said it was great for poking into the ground when he was drilling corn!:eek3: I was horrified, but I got over it and still like the guy.

People who don't have tools, and knives in particular, rarely have much sense of what they can and can't do, and little in the way of mechanical sympathy with them, even when they have other practical skills. Apparently such skills don't transfer. Weird, but I have seen it too often not to believe it to be so.

Hope the recycling process helps you feel better.

Reactions: norfolknun

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Even though the Rough Rider is a comparatively cheap knife that is still painful to see.

But I like the fact that you can see some good coming out of it, in the form of some tidy recycling. I look forward to seeing the results.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Was the knife borrowed or given?

Kind of hard to be exact tbh as I often give people, including this person loads of tools and things with no date of when or ever to give them back. But if I remember rightly I did imply the knfie was to keep, so he was never without a tool and explained the law etc.

It was sad to see it when all I was told was that the tip randomly broke off. As you can see it was bashed with a hammer repeatedly on both ends like a chisel.

I'd never do that to a gift, I'd be ashamed of my actions being so thoughtless and disposable.

One of the saddest things is I was later told was he though he 'borrowed' it. Even worse than wrecking a gift is to wreck something you believe they want back.

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"I'm sorry, but I can't lend you that. If it gets damaged, I really need to be the one who does it."

Next time they need a knife, offer them a cork screw.

Reactions: Janne

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sounds like someone you should keep away from. Next time they need to borrow or use tools, be unavailable.

I don't know your motivation behind lending and giving. I know what part of my motivation is when I lend or spend time helping someone. Giving things, or time, rarely is completely unconditional, even if the condition is only that the recipient recognises and appreciates the value of what one gives. When the recipient puts no value on what is given, treats it like junk and is either unaware or uncaring of how that makes the giver feel, that is not a relationship that should continue to be fed. They have a fundamentally different view of life and remonstrating with them isn't likely to change it. Most likely they will think you crazy for caring about inconsequential things.

Reactions: Janne and sunndog

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Sounds like someone you should keep away from. Next time they need to borrow or use tools, be unavailable.

I don't know your motivation behind lending and giving. I know what part of my motivation is when I lend or spend time helping someone. Giving things, or time, rarely is completely unconditional, even if the condition is only that the recipient recognises and appreciates the value of what one gives. When the recipient puts no value on what is given, treats it like junk and is either unaware or uncaring of how that makes the giver feel, that is not a relationship that should continue to be fed. They have a fundamentally different view of life and remonstrating with them isn't likely to change it. Most likely they will think you crazy for caring about inconsequential things.

Now that's a good post!
In fact I'm even gonna give it a 'Like' :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The reason I asked; If a gift, he can ruin it as much as he likes. Nothing to get longtime upset over. Would I give something else to such a person? No way.
If it was borrowed - that would upset me hugely......

Butcher......

Some people have no 'feel' or objects.
Crunch gears, hit curbs, bang all doors shut...

Some people even bash their knives through large chunks of wood.. instead of using the tool that was invented and designed for it, an ax or hatchet.....
I think it is called Batoning?
:)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Loaned out an axe once, didn't get it back for months, and when I did, well the blade needed a bit of attention to say the least, gawd knows what he was using it for.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Loaned out an axe once, didn't get it back for months, and when I did, well the blade needed a bit of attention to say the least, gawd knows what he was using it for.

Similar here with a Gransfors SFA, stropped to perfection. I watched the guy split his first log, with nothing beneath it to prevent the blade entering the ground, which it did. It was then “stored” for the next log by walloping it back into the ground. We live on very flinty chalk, it was an absolute mess.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Similar here with a Gransfors SFA, stropped to perfection. I watched the guy split his first log, with nothing beneath it to prevent the blade entering the ground, which it did. It was then “stored” for the next log by walloping it back into the ground. We live on very flinty chalk, it was an absolute mess.
I am glad to say at least that the axe I loaned was not an expensive one, but something I got from an army surplus store. I was still ****** off by it though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Remember someone on here had their SFA used to smash concrete or something equally ridiculous by builders doing a job in his home?

I want to say it was Mr claycomb or tip maybe.....was a while ago

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE