My new hammock, vanquishing the Jabberwock, and my search for friendship in bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
My recent purchase of a brand new hammock from ebay prompted me to explore a brand new area of bushcraft (for myself at least), and find a whole range of new possibilities for myself that had previously lain undiscovered. The main advantage I immediately saw was to be liberated from the need to find suitable ground for camping which is more often than not a completely impossible task, and if not that, a lot more difficult than first thought! (That is if you are usually used to an orthopaedic mattress).
It seems strange that the simple act of erecting a hammock in even the most unremarkable patch of woodland makes the place seem a lot more like home.
I have yet to find a suitable tarp that would enable me to sleep out in comfort, lest the rain moisten my sleeping bag! What then?! I shudder at the prospect.
Or at least that is what I tell myself, being of over active imagination, the thought of darkness in woodland is not one that I sit comfortably with. I still can't overcome the childhood shackles which forbid entrance to the woods at night...

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

My rational self scoffs at such a notion, but what can I say, I cannot be an entirely rational person. I know that proponents of the subject such as Ray Mears expound about it bringing you closer to nature, but to the uninitiated, it seems quite daunting at first.
On the other hand the thought of long shadows dancing in the firelight, and the golden glow of early autumn makes me realise how good it would be to enjoy this season to the full. With the days gradually growing shorter, and the crisp mornings becoming more frequent, the wood burning stove in my front room is about to declare its importance again and make the darkness of the long nights a blessing and a welcome.
I think camping out would be much more fun in the company of others, with all that this entails, such as the obligatory campfire conversations in the evening, giving much more joviality to the whole adventure. I must admit that with my limited bushcraft contacts this isn't really a likely prospect, and as my usual circle of friends seem to think of me as quite an eccentric anyway, I don't want to give them any more ammunition to throw at me by asking non bushcrafters to sleep in woodland!
As for the hammock, it really is very good for chilling out on a summer's day, the perfect antidote to the exertions of bushcraft and especially the bowdrill method, from which my arms are still aching. Boy, do I wish that I remembered to pack those matches! Even for the uninitiated like myself, a nice patch of Woodland on a summer's day is a great panacea for the rigours of the modern world around us. I should really find more time to go out and do little, but experience much. Watching, and sometimes even just listening to the day go by in the woods can do wonders for allowing nature into your life. In the words of an anonymous artist, in scrawled graffito on the wall of an equally anonymous subway, I once read a short statement which adequately encompassed an entirely sound philosophy. It stood out from the rest of the profanity for its almost profound nature. It read simply; 'live while you're alive'. In this way I see no better way to live, and days spent enjoying the nature are never wasted.

Anyway, that's all for now and if you haven't heard of my recent success with the bowdrill then check out the link marked firecraft in the survival skills section, and you'll find a story/thread by me; speckledjim (backgarden bushcrafter extaordinaire, and survival expert in the making).

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:lmao: Nicely put Jim :lmao:

Company certainly does alleviate those 'is that a monster under my hammock' stirrings so have no fear, there are plenty of meets going on if you can get to them and you're most welcome to join mine at Middlewood in a few weeks time. You will need to think about your sleeping arrangements though from this time of year onwards and I'd recommend a decent self inflating mat and decent sleeping bag as well as a tarp otherwise it's the claws of hypothermia you'll be dodging rather than the teeth of the Jabberwocky ;) .

The best thing about the meets is that there will be folk about to lend a hand setting up that think it's the most natural thing in the world as opposed to folk who just think your barmy :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Having only ever seen the Terry Gilliam Jabberwocky and not read the Lewis Carrol poem, I'm not really too bothered by it... but... I have woken up to a deer sniffing around my camp and promptly left my logical brain switched off!

You've got a great way with words speckledjim and your post did make me chuckle in all the right places.

Hammocks are indeed a lovely way to recline in style. There are probably hundreds of threads dedicated to which tarp to use and once you've got one and a mat to put under you, I can assure you that the fierce sooring sounds from the strange hanging thing in the woods will keep any animals at bay!

Thanks for making me smile and good luck finding someone local, you're right lucky up there with your relaxed wild camping laws.

Joe

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Great post Jim,sounds like you have started your journey into bushcraft.Keep an eye on things here and there will be plenty of help and good ideas,probably bump into a few of us along the way.
See you out there.Andy.:)

Gailainne

Life Member
Speckledjim

Eloquent, and very much to the point, the pressures of modern day business life is such that any escape, whether a walk at lunchtime, a stolen hour in your local wood, or heaven forbid a whole afternoon on a bimble (really love that word, sums it up exactly) breathes fresh life into your soul, is what I, and I suspect many others on this forum strive to accomplish.

Unfortunately the Jabberwocky of this age is the Ned, or Chav, equally as vicious, so concern on camping alone is not without merit, however there is ample folks around in this forum to diminish if not vanquish those fears.

I was thinking of camping out this weekend, somewhere fairly close, Loch Lomond, Loch Tay, give me a pm if you want to join, I have a spare tarp, and :eek: spare quite a few other things, so dont be shy saying, anyone else ? is welcome, apart from the brill weekend I spent with woodsmoke on an island in Loch Lomond I havent camped at either place so the more the merrier.

Stephen

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do not leap out of your hammy if you hear a monster under you!
Hedgehogs make a huge amount of noise in the silence of the night-time woods, are not nice to tread on barefoot and are endangered.
In all a nightmare worse the Jabby!
I find having an under-hammy "carpet" (I have used a reindeer skin, a mini tarp and a stuffsack at various times) makes getting out of bed and into boots a more pleasant experience - it also offers something to stand on when getting rid of used beer in the middle of the night....
Top Tip - deter night-time visits by noise monsters (lickle wodland fluffy things by day...) by laying your scent around the site. It is said that the smell of a carnivours urine scares the little s*ds. I don't think this works for veggies or on genuine bigger-than-you carniverous night rending monsters.........

Hi Speckledjim,

I find I'm in a very simuilar situation to yourself ,but couldn't put it quite so well as yourself ( bow).
This is my 1st post so Hi to all, I had to reply to this one, as you live quite near to myself, probably around the 12 mile mark hehe and I thought I'd better not pass up the opportunity to meet up with someone local.
. I have been lurking for some time now in this very cool forum & just recently started getiing myself some gear together, but finding someone of a like mind to share it all is very difficult. A few friends have an interest , but arent quite willing to just jump up and go. My wife is being very reasonable about me wanting to go out & find myself in the woods so to speak, hehe . But would rather I had company as well. I'm also not very sure about just going out to our local woods & roaming about as to tell the truth Im not really up on countryside laws, most of my previous nights out in the wild have been next to Lochs fishing.

So if yourself or anyone else fancys some company for going out in the wild give me a shout , Im always willing to learn new stuff. :)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Speckledjim,

I find I'm in a very simuilar situation to yourself ,but couldn't put it quite so well as yourself ( bow).
This is my 1st post so Hi to all, I had to reply to this one, as you live quite near to myself, probably around the 12 mile mark hehe and I thought I'd better not pass up the opportunity to meet up with someone local.
. I have been lurking for some time now in this very cool forum & just recently started getiing myself some gear together, but finding someone of a like mind to share it all is very difficult. A few friends have an interest , but arent quite willing to just jump up and go. My wife is being very reasonable about me wanting to go out & find myself in the woods so to speak, hehe . But would rather I had company as well. I'm also not very sure about just going out to our local woods & roaming about as to tell the truth Im not really up on countryside laws, most of my previous nights out in the wild have been next to Lochs fishing.

So if yourself or anyone else fancys some company for going out in the wild give me a shout , Im always willing to learn new stuff. :)

Hello and welcome to BCUK Treeclipper, you're in the right place.

I suggest you chaps take up Gailainne's offer to join him for a night out. I can vouch for him to be a top man as we have been on a few meets in the past.

Let us know how it goes.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Living not too far from Glasgow/Loch lomond mesel'!! Can't do this weekend but I'm usually good to go for a weekend camping out somewhere - give us a pm anytime - that goes for anyone else who would like to buddy up for some good old campfire tales!

Cheers

Dr O

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There are some plans afoot for a scottish meet up here It's still not definite but some positive vibes may help. ;) I'm planning on going should it go ahead and I'm sure you'd be welcome. I'm still a relative 'newb' but did manage my first night out alone, although I suspect the jabberwocky in my wood was a hedgehog :rolleyes:

How about a kip out in your garden to start with??

Good luck,

Alan

I wish I could have went this weekend, but the missus has arranged for us to go to a BBQ on Sat. :(.
Also Im still waiting on my Tarp, rucksack & mat being delivered, Royal Mail has a lot to answer for round our way, everythings 5 to 10 days later than it should be(this is a bit of a rant of mine).

hope I can meet up with some of you ..hehe , I got a lot to learn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE