My new Fred Carter bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 15, 2006
Den Haag, NL
A friend of mine was so good to introduce me to his friend Fred Carter, a US knife maker.
My friend knew I was into bushcrafting and asked Fred if he could make such a knife.
Fred never heard of 'a bushcraft knife' but was interested in making one.
I showed him the obvious Ray Mears Woodlore designs to give him an idea.

My own favorite hiking/camping/bushcraft knife has always been a Fallkniven F1.
Reason for that was the versatile shape (allthough a bit too much belly) and the pretty much indistructable design.
What I didn't like on the Fallkniven F1 was the handle material.
It was a bit thin, and I would have liked a more "natural" material in a bushcraft knife.
I also would like a bit more pointier tip.

So when Fred suggested to make one, I made a drawing based on Fallkniven F1, but a bit more pronounced handle shape, longer blade and a pointier tip.
Together we made a final drawing and Fred started making the knife. Even the tang was drilled and tapered to reduce weight in the handle, and some red-liners were added.
Communication was great during the process, it's great to see someone build a knife. I wish I had the skills... :D
The blades turned out great.

The square spine is very hard and sharp, as requested, and throws an enourmous amount of sparks from a firesteel. The handle is comfortable and not too bulky.
The tip is thinner than the Fallkniven F1, but it held up great when I hammered on it when batonning through some dead wood.
Some might wonder why it doesn't have a scandi grind, but I prefer a flat-grind. I personally never understood the reasoning for a scandi-grind on a bushcraft knife.
I do understand that when properly maintained, you can get a great edge on a scandi grind and that it has some benefit with wood working, but IMHO, the should would make slicing difficult, and I don't understand the often stated reason that a scandi grind is easy for field sharpening?
I prefer a secondary edge that can be easily touched up. To fix a damaged edge on a scandi grind and too maintain the scandi grind, one would need to remove a lot of metal, and that's not something I would prefer to do in the field. As I said, just a personal opinion. :D

I gave mine a little exercise in fire making. We made some shavings on wood and some maya wood, and with a few strikes on my friend brand new firesteel, we had a small fire in minutes.
Didn't have a chance yet to give it a full outdoors exercise, but hopefully somewhere in february on a small camping weekend.

I plan to have another one made with some small adjustments. Just normal maple wood, maybe shorten the blade with 0.5 cm, a tiny bit more belly and move the lanyard hole more the bottom of the handle.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with this knife. And it was made amazingly fast, in a month or so. Better then waiting 3 years for Woodlore ;)

The darker one of my friend has a bit more sabre grind, so is a bit thicker near the tip.
The sheath is very basic as I wanted it. No tube for a firesteel. I prefer to carry that seperatly.

Final specs:

OAL - 22cm
Edge - 10.5cm
Handle: Stabalized Box Edler Burl & Stabelized Died Box Elder Burl (the darker one)
Steel: O-1 & C-1084 (the darker one) (HRC about 57 or so)
Thickness 3/16" (4.7mm)

Some pics of the process

First drawing

bush-drawing1.jpg

Final drawing

bush-drawing2.jpg

Blade cut-out

bush-knife1.jpg

Drilled, grinded and polished

bush-knife2.jpg

bush-knife3.jpg

bush-knife4.jpg

Final blades:

bush-final1.jpg

bush-final2.jpg

bush-final3.jpg

bush-final4.jpg

bush-final5.jpg

bush-final6.jpg

Some "glossy" ;) pics that Fred made: pic1 & pic2

Reactions: bushwacker bob

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Now that's a bushcraft knife.

If only the Woodlore was like that I'd actually like it :)

Everything that should be there and nothing that shouldn't.

Stunning !

What's Fred's contact details ?

I forgot to add - I agree with you entirely about Scandi ground blades :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Agreed they are lovely !

Look quite thin an light but ard as nails at the same time.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Two very attractive knives and good users too, I'd bet.

That looks like a nicely tapered tang which is a build feature I really like. Unless the wood is balanced to suit there's sometimes a problem with knives like this being handle heavy. Great timber colours between the original and dyed boxwood elders. Your health to enjoy taking them out, Ted :)

Mark

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
wow i like that a lot!

Oh and the best people to ask about scandi grind knives are the saami, as they have been using them for a day or two

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Very very nice,I would love a knife such as that but sadly I cannot justify the expence.Have to stick to my Mora a while longer yet :)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well if you wanna find out whats good about a scandi grind ask the people who have been using it for a while! Thats what i meant!

I am currently using a flat grind knife and a f1 here in Tennessee so i am not a total scadi freak (although it is my favorite grind)

Jun 15, 2006
Den Haag, NL
Shinken said:
Well if you wanna find out whats good about a scandi grind ask the people who have been using it for a while! Thats what i meant!

I am currently using a flat grind knife and a f1 here in Tennessee so i am not a total scadi freak (although it is my favorite grind)

Shinken, honestly curious...have you asked them? Or have a reference to a good explanation compared to other grinds. Really, I would like to understand. I see some benefits, but I see a major drawback in (field) sharpening with respect to other grinds. Perhaps manufacturing was a reason? Less metal to remove...?

Ted

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Nope i havent asked them mate, but i am sure they would know more than me about it :)

Scandi's are easier to manifacture for me, ( with belt grinders :) )i am not sure if they would have been easy to a few hundred years ago.

As for sharpening i guess that depends on what circumstances you mean by saying field sharpening?. Do you mean a survival situation where you have no sharpening gear with you?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Really beautiful looking knife. What steel was used for the blade? is it the ubiquitous bushcraft 01 tool or is it something stainless or stain resistant? Do you think Fred Carter could make one for me? How do I get in touch?

It's a lot of questions, I know, but it's a fabulous looking knife...

Jun 15, 2006
Den Haag, NL
Shinken said:
As for sharpening i guess that depends on what circumstances you mean by saying field sharpening?. Do you mean a survival situation where you have no sharpening gear with you?

Shinken, For field sharpening I was thinking about a couple of days (or weeks) hiking where I would carry a small Spyderco 303MF stone or a Fallkniven DC4 stone. Not three Japanese waterstones like Ray Mears ;)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
No ive seen Ray carry a dc3 whetstone and sharpen the knife really easilly. and he only uses waterstones if at home and sharpening or on a permanent camp otherwise its the dc3

I use a dc4 and its easy, actually the flat bevel virtually guarantee's that you are going to keep the angle constant. With a full flat grind with secondary bevel you cant lay the bevel flat easilly so have to use guesswork or feel from practice but even then its not going to be as acurate. Imho

The only downside that i can see is if you nick the edge with a secondary bevel it would be easier to get out, but in doing so you will be making the edge thicker and a full flat grind will eventually (after being sharpened a lot) reguire re-grinding if you want to keep the edge the same thickness. A scandi grind dosnt have this problem as there is only one bevel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE