My new Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Some months ago I attended the Wolverine Knife Collectors show in Novi, Michigan (a suburb of Detroit). I met up with several friends who are also avid collectors and one of them is also a knife maker. His name is Abe Elias. For those who occasionally cruise through Bladeforums or Knifeforums he is known as “Canranger”. Abe had several knives on display at his table including one that really appealed to me. He told me it was a prototype and that he was still testing it so it was not available for sale. I finally convinced him to make one like it for me. This is how it came out: (please excuse my poor photography)

“The Magnum Bushcrafter”

abeknives005nf9.jpg

abeknives006aw0.jpg

abeknives019jf8.jpg

The specs are as follows:

Steel: ATS-34 (1/8”) Flat Ground
Handle Material: Orange G-10
Knife length: 9 1/8”
Blade length: 4 ¼”
Handle length: 4 ¾”
Cutting edge: 4” (and a smidge more)
¼” lanyard hole Nickel silver and 3 Nickel silver pins
Finish: Satin
RC 58-59

The handle is one of the best parts as Abe really knows how to put the right length handle on a knife. This handle is long enough that your whole hand has something to do if you want it to, or if you drop back to a three finger hold (choke down) your 4” blade acts like a 6” for chopping.

The tip is thin and pointed for drilling out fireboards and the edge… Well let’s just say the edge feels like what the knife pundits like to call “scary sharp”. So sharp, it will skin a ripe tomato and thin slice it as well. This was after I had whittled a good bit of hard maple and made several of these fuzz sticks.

dsc02525kb8.jpg

dsc02537ma1.jpg

dsc02539vg7.jpg

Abe makes wonderful leather sheaths as well. One special touch he put on a ferro rod holder for me and then made the handle for the ferro rod to match the knife as well. Besides being an avid outdoorsman, and all around great guy, he knows how to make a really good knife.

Abe can be contacted at: aelias@cogeco.ca

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Looking great there JJ. :cool: I like the orange handle cuz it's a bit easier to keep track of. :) Being a woodcarver, Abe also knows how to put a comfy handle on a knife. Abe's sheath work and his knifemaking are really coming along. I'm hoping he has a good supply for the next wolverine show so I can pick one up.

mtnfolk mike

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2006
felton, CA... US.
great looking knife jj... the sheath looks great too....abe does some really nice work... i've seen a number of his over at knifeforums.... :)

i've also been getting into the blaze orange knife handles myself.... :D

mike

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Nick, Abe doesn't have a web-site up for his knives yet; however if you look under the Diving Sparrow Paddle Company you will find his canoe paddles which are also excellent.

Thanks for all the great compliments guys. Abe is extremely talented and a great guy to work with.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
That one looks very nice JJ. I think there is something to say about a guy who is an excellent wood worker moving into the knifemaking field. He really does know what works. I am the proud owner of a pair of his paddles:

11-AbePaddles.jpg

These in ash with cherry facing. Custom shaped grips and just a joy to use.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like the bright handle thing, its all very well having a tree coloured knife but yer knackered if you lose it.

Also when you carry it you usually have it covered up anyway.

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Thanks Schwert! Abe is a real artist who is still just becoming known. I agree his paddles are things to be-hold and to hold. His prices are quite reasonable as well.

I have no connection with his business other than to say I consider him a friend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE