my kit so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I think we should rename this thread the derbyshire thread.
All the derby lads seem to av all come together tony best watch out before it becomes the dbcuk forum:-()

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I think we should rename this thread the derbyshire thread.
All the derby lads seem to av all come together tony best watch out before it becomes the dbcuk forum:-()

maybe time for us to start a derbyshire bushcrafters group? yorkshire has one, as does oxfordshire (i think)

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
is there enough of us out there to do this LOL

at least six of us have posted in this thread alone, and i can think of another dozen or so off the top of my head, in fact, i can think of at least 4 members just in alfreton, another three (at least) in chesterfield.......in fact, i've just talked myself into it, we shall have a group, oh yes!

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....in fact, i've just talked myself into it, we shall have a group, oh yes!

stuart

on second thoughts, maybe not, you have to be a full member to create groups and i'm not one:( someone should set one up though, there's a lot of us from derbyshire on here, it'd be nice to see who's around and maybe arrange a pint and a chat kind of thing

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Im derbyshire in spirit. Was over near youlgrave bullyheading with the family this weekend. Catching them by hand. Magic.

:jacked:

Do they still exist? I thought they must be extinct by now! In the last 45 years I think I've been fishing twice. The first time was with my cousin when we were about fourteen, we went somewhere around Ogston on our bicycles to fish for bullyheads. It was my cousin's idea, I'd never seen them before. They were tiny but easy to catch with a net, we just put them in a jar and then put them back before we went home. Still remember it very well. We were very proud how far we'd been but when we got home my aunt said that distance was nothing when she was a kid so then we felt a bit deflated.

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
like the sound of meeting up for a pint or 2 put some faces to names that sort of thing .only thing is i work nights so it would have to be at the weekend .but sounds good to me ....... mark
:D

Some good kit there, I have and use a lot of the same items as you. The Tesco MicroLite bags are pretty good for their size and price, but in winter you will want something a little warmer, with a baffle. Swedish mess kit and Trangia setup is always a popular choice, but you may want to swap out the stove for a homemade one, the Trangias aren't very efficient or fast. Mora clipper/companion...don't need to say anything there...DD Mc tarp and DD hammock are both great kit, just keep the tarp away from embers, also after a good many outings, it may need re-proofing. The Fiskars axes are very tough little workers, should get many years of use from it.

Happy crafting.

Adam

I'd drop the axe and the saw as you have a shelter already so don't need the tools to buils a log cabin! :)

But those two tools make firewood so much easier. Use the saw to buck the timber, then the axe to split them. Yeah you can snap deadwood up to around 1.5"-2", but it's not advisable, due to the danger of injury (it has happened). Also this size will require constant feeding, so the fire will die out during the night. Use of larger stock will burn longer, however you should split 4"+ logs so they burn completely (more efficient), whilst conserving your firewood supplies.

Adam

But those two tools make firewood so much easier. Use the saw to buck the timber, then the axe to split them. Yeah you can snap deadwood up to around 1.5"-2", but it's not advisable, due to the danger of injury (it has happened). Also this size will require constant feeding, so the fire will die out during the night. Use of larger stock will burn longer, however you should split 4"+ logs so they burn completely (more efficient), whilst conserving your firewood supplies.

Adam

He does list a trangia and meths bottle so might not need a fire :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think this is an excellent outfit - and I'm not just saying that because I have some of the items.

Military Trangia - excellent, stable, reliable kit with pots designed for use on an open fire. Highly recommended. Compact but unfortunately heavy. In mountain country, where I will not be having a fire, I replace it with something lighter.

Folding cup - I've used these, they are compact and reliable but annoyingly small. Suggest a plastic kuksa as these are much bigger, cheap, yet still fit inside the military Trangia.

Highlander rucsacs - very robust, great for the money, also available in olive. I have one that's 10 years old and still going strong - and the new ones are higher spec.

Torches - outdoors an led headtorch is all you need. You could take a spare torch and batteries, but as battery life is good (20-30h for mine, IIRC) I would not bother.

Sleeping bag - looks fine, but by the size I guess it's a two/three season bag. No point using a heavy winter bag in summer of course - you need two bags for all year round stuff. Winter camping is surprisingly enjoyable.

Fiskars saw - the Laplander is more popular but I have both and usually take the lighter Fiskars. Well made and cuts well.

Knives - would never take two out of choice. Would also skip the titanium knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE