my kit so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
DSC03080.jpg
hello people i have got most of my kit sorted now , am doing a dry run tonight in the garden to see what the stuff preforms like,will let you know how i get on with it . but what i am looking for is your opinion on the kit ,stuff to add and stuff to leave out here is a list of the kit i have. i have been realy lucky and have had a lot of this kit given me

rucksac
DD tarp 3mx3m
sleeping bag
DD hammock
fiskars axe
fiskars saw
mora clipper
knife i made
fire steel and striker
titanium fork
titanium knife
sweedish army trangia and meths bottle
water bottles
folding cup
survival kit
wash kit
food stuff
small torch
head torch
camera
spare batteries for camera and torches

i also have a couple of wool blankets that i bought from the carboot they are being dyed at the moment as they were a shocking
DSC03075.jpg
colour

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Looking good mate but i would drop the axe and get yourself a thermarest or similar for insulation in your hammock otherwise you will wake up with a cold back :) edit got beat to it lol.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looks great, you've got more stuff than me.............as I hate getting wet, I would have to add some waterproof clothing..... The afore mentioned roll mat would be a must too...........looks like you're going to have a lot of fun there.......
Is that a Highlander rucksack ?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that looks like a pretty good set up to me, only thing i'd probably change is to maybe lose one of the cutting tools and replace it with something to sit on, for the weight and bulk of the axe you could have a little three legged stool or for less than the weight (but a little more bulk) of one of the knives you could have a little self inflating sit pad that would double up as a pillow. never under-estimate the comfort value of getting your **** up off the floor!

let me know if you're ever looking for somewhere (or some company) for a night out in derbyshire, i know a few good places in the chesterfield/matlock areas.

stuart

Looking good!

Garden tests are a great idea but it's easy to forget the fact that the shower/ toilet is nearby as is the rubbish bin. A large pack of resealable wet wipes can be almost as good as a shower. Also, take some bin bags and leave some space in the pack to cart your rubbish out with you...

For water - I find that bladder systems like Camelbak, Platypus or MSR make for better packing - you can shape them to conform to available pack space and as they empty - so the bulk reduces, unlike solid bottles.

You'll find your own comfort tolerances with regards to sleep etc and they will be different depending on season - you may need a bigger pack for winter though...

Don't be tempted to fill your pack "because you can" - as a guide, my pack (about 60l) is about 2/3 full at this time of year even though it contains a lot of stuff like food - it's because I tend to stay out longer and have a lot of stuff to bring back (like mine and other people's rubbish!). In winter it's pretty much full of the extra comfort items like warm layers and I usually only do an overnighter - meaning less rubbish to bring back.

Oh! and don't forget spare batteries for your electrics and especially your mobile phone (your No1 survival tool) or at least a Powermonkey - or something similar.

Good luck and let us know how the experimentation went!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Stu i havnt forgot about you mate as soon as i get a free night to try out your neck of the woods il inbox you pal.
Cheers ash

badger a good item to always keep in your pack is a comfy wooly type hat or balaclava, theres been many times iv been glad to have mine mate

Last edited:

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
hello people....
well the time came for my first night out ...only in the garden though to test some of the kit, so i set up camp in the garden last night to see how things went . some of the guys on here told me to use the foam mat in between the layers of the hammock. so in the hammock i went last night i have a thin mummy sleeping bag i was worried that it was only thin, but i was snug and warm put a thin beanie hat on my head just got settled and it started to drizzle but i was nice and settled. then i was woken by the other half bringing me a coffee this morning ...bless her ..the good life ....lol
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/barkingbadger/th_DSC03082.jpg

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Did you cook anything? I can recommend a tin of corned beef, a couple of cans of vegetables, some cous-cous and an Oxo cube. That's one of my favourites, did it several times in that same Trangia over the last couple of weeks. Usually I sprinkle in a bit of Habanero sauce too but that isn't to everyone's liking. :campfire:

I usually use 2 litre PET drinks bottles for carrying water, they're light, free and tougher than my old boots (a pair of which fell to pieces last week but I put that down to a combination of the corrosive air in the Pyrenees and my sweaty feet:)).

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
no didnt cook last night but will be having a night out soon in a little wood near us will be doing some cooking then will let you know how i get on

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
the kit seems all good but i think its been said before first aid kit and get your self up matlock way some beautiful camping up there

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well done, now get off your bottom and go camping :)

Your kit is good but you could dump a knife and the survival kit and get a bigger mug; the folding ones are OK, but you can't beat a half litre brew really so maybe a crusader mug or one of the smaller Dutch army type. Don't forget a 'Bic' lighter or two and something like cotton wool balls with a dab of Vaseline to use as fire starters. Don't forget a bag of sweets, sounds daft but trust me when I say you'll never find a better tasting humbug as you will when out camping, perfect for between brews.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Stu i havnt forgot about you mate as soon as i get a free night to try out your neck of the woods il inbox you pal.
Cheers ash......

no problem mate, i know what it's like trying to get a free night sometimes.

......get your self up matlock way some beautiful camping up there

there most certainly is, forestry commision land, council owned land, stealthy sites, even the odd spot that you can get permission to stay!

stuart

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
you'l love it mate when you get chance to get out there in the woods and do it for real, always good if you can find someone to go with who can maybe show you a few new things or ideas plus imo its more fun.
cheers ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE