My July weekend in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did not get into the woods in June (a three week birdwatching, walking, archeologicalling holiday in Scotland meant I did not have time to go camping...)but I did get into the woods first opportunity in July...
After work on Friday 1st July- at around 11am - I shouldered my pack, gripped my Golok tightly and braved the now overgrown path up to my site. It really is amazing how the brambles, Rose Bay and grass have flourished since my last visit back in May!
It took three machete wielding trips up and down the path before it was reasonably clear and after I pitched camp in my usual spot
P7010002.jpg
P7010003.jpg
(no chute this time - I used a gig old tarp instead and dried out the chute and windscreen that had to be put away soaking last time) I set to to clear the other paths I had around the site. I decided not to look at trimming the open areas as I wanted to leave the Bluebells to seed first - I may regret this when it comes to my Sept visit (no August trip planned as I will be at the Moot for 2 weeks - dammit -I have to work now and then!) and there is 2 months more growth to deal with!
The weather was perfect, so as well as bramble bashing I took a bit of time just enjoying the sun dappled woods and in the evening I read (Lord of the Flies - again!) and listened to the sounds of Nature before getting an early night.
Sat morning and a Blackbird trilled me to wakefulness at 5am (b'stard bird!) and so I rose, breakfasted (Black Pudding and Bacon Grill rolls :) ) and got down to some serious bramble hacking.
Our toilet area needed moving as every available trenchable bit behind the parasilk sight screens had been trenched and ...backfilled ... over the last couple of years - so the screens needed moving to enclose a fresh area ... but all the fresh areas had a 4' high growth of brambles over them. Out came the trusty Golok and the new area was cleared and new screens hung. I just finished the work when Stuart rocks up all fresh and smiling at about 11am.
P7020005.jpg
After a natter he got pitched and Martin joined us. I convinced Stuart to did the new "Slit Trench" - neither of us realizing that the new area was almost 100% tree roots under 2mm of topsoil! With spade, entrenching tool, digging stick and hatchet a trench was eventually dug and I let Stuart have a rest.
I trimmed down and sewed up the chute, then packed it away, did running repairs on the on-site furniture (the chairs are suffering from use and the damp...) and get in yet more firewood.
After a break and a rest we went for a bimble to show Martin (first time on site) a little of the square mile we are allowed to use.
P7020006.jpg
All that was left to do was eat, maintain the tools and blether the night away. I had another early night as I had to get up early to do an hours work on the farm twixt 8.30 and 9.30 - a long standing arrangement to do a bit of Care for a visitor to the holiday cottage.
My alarm was set for 6 and I slept the sleep of the just...
Ontil 5am when that b'stard Blackbird did it again!
My body would not let me enjoy any more sleep, so it was up, light the fire, inspect and assess the new toilet (very good) brealfast (more Black Pudding and Bacon Grill rolls plus copious black coffee, get the kettle on for M&S when they stopped snoring and to trudge down to the farm.
There I washed and changed, did my work and then headed back to find camp in the last stages of being struck and Martin setting off for home (back up North ... 3 odd hours away), while Stuart enjoyed a last brew.
With camp struck we loaded up and then each went our separate ways - me 1 mile up the road, Stuart back to Londinium...
Lots of work done, lots of laughs and very little rain - a good weekend!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You definitely had a good meet there John. The sacrifice of black pudding must of appeased the rain gods :rolleyes:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
A good working week end that one goodjob...Now, a word about this diet of your's....
lol-030.gif
lol-030.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE