My genuine army issue GTX bivi bag leaks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Purchased a Bivibag a while back and never had chance to use it in a downpour till the other day. Suffice to say I got soaked. Not just talking damp, but actual puddles of water in the bag.
Now I've had the bag a while, so I don't think I can really complain to the seller. What would you do?

Cheers,

matt

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Fill it up from a hose pipe and see where it's leaking then patchit both inside and outside,for puddles to be inside either it's not goretex or it's got a bloody great hole in it.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Try putting it in the bath and see where the bubbles rise from. Just a big inner tube really!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Could be that it just needs washing in techwash and drying properly. Goretex, like anything else, needs to be maintained.

There are a few postings here about what to do to wash goretex. Good luck I am doing the same thing with mine at the moment.

Sandsnakes

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
when i got mine it had a few leeks where the gortex hed be scuffed and punctured. i got some gluey stuf from millets, came in a bottle with a sponge like nikwax liquid wax. i found the leeks in the bath and then went over the leeky spots and now its as good as new:D

pete

G

goshow

Give it a good wash in Nikwak thech wash then wash again in the nikwax proofing stuff. Should sort the problem. However, it does sound like you've got a defect or a hole in it somewhere. If all else fails, ditch it and buy an Arktis bivvi bag (if you can find one) they are the bo**ocks

leon-1

The guys have covered pretty much all of it.

I would ask is it second hand and what colour was it when you got it?

A lot of bivvy bags have been heavily used and abused by the time they reach the surplus side of life. They will have been put through the washing machine with whatever detergent is at hand and the likelyhood is that it may have been issued to a few people who do the normal bit of "It's a Big Firm" meaning that they don't give a stuff and the Army can pay for a new one if this one gets damaged.

A personal belief is that the older Army ones were better than the newer ones, but that doesn't help you a lot.

If this one is truly knackered then replace it and as a suggestion I would say try the Alpkit Hunka, it's cheap, light, packs down small and really does do the job

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i bought a brit army bivy from Springfields in Burton-on-Trent supposedly new and goretex. I had condensation inside at times even though i always kept my head outside of bag, on one occasion in the Black Mountains on a cold night the condensation inside actually froze solid and there there was a sheet of ice covering the inside of the top of bag, after that unpleasant experience i ditched it for a snugpak bivy. These army bivy's are commonly referrred to as goretex but i don't think they are, i think they are oficially called ''water permeable material'' or something like that, certainly mine did not have the usual ''goretex'' marked on bag that is usually seen on most things where it is used. I am of small stature and wondered at the time if this contributed to condensation as the army bags are quite big and there would be a lot of ''dead air'' in bag, the snugpak one is smaller therefore less dead air if you know what i mean. I used the bag correctly without inserting my head but often my sleeping bag was damp in the morning but i put up with it until that night when it froze solid inside, the freezing of the condensation would obviously restrict breathabilty even further. I have read other threads and plenty people seem happy with their brit army bivy's but i sometimes, not always, had condensation problems with mine, and it was indeed sold as a goretex one. I think maybe the weather variations plays a big part in their breathability and how much dead-air is inside bag dependant on your size, also if they are not actually goretex but some type of water-permeable-material are they inferior to true goretex ones, the snugpak one has fared better i have to say.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Unfortunately I've heard plenty of stories of troops putting pin holes in their old bags before handing in.
I've seen plenty being sold with holes and tears and not pointed out too.

leon-1

These army bivy's are commonly referrred to as goretex but i don't think they are, i think they are oficially called ''water permeable material'' or something like that.

They are MVP, Moisture Vapour Permeable. Some are sold as Grade1, they look new enough, but they have been washed using soap powder. This severely impedes the breathability of the bag.

Barn Owl said:
Unfortunately I've heard plenty of stories of troops putting pin holes in their old bags before handing in.
I've seen plenty being sold with holes and tears and not pointed out too.

Not a common practice as you never know if you are going to receive the same bag back again and I know that I never did whilst I served.

Bags do get holes in them and are normally patched via the QM's department, if the hole or tear is too large the bag will be written off (if it's deemed as your fault you will be billed for it).

A friend of mine did once describe one as "A knackered NATO tea bag" to the brigade commander whilst having a whinge. Soon afterwards we had all of our bags replaced and they had happier troops.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
They are MVP, Moisture Vapour Permeable. Some are sold as Grade1, they look new enough, but they have been washed using soap powder. This severely impedes the breathability of the bag.

Thanks for that leon-1, on my bag in the wet the rain beaded up and rolled off ok as it should and it didn't wet-out, it just didn't seem to breathe very well, it was dated 1998 and marked ''Polywarm Products'', it was sold as goretex and new. Maybe your insight is the answer. Incidentally why does everybody call them goretex if they are actually '''MVP'', it's a bit misleading to the unknowing, after all you wouldn't call sympatex goretex would you and not everything that breathes is goretex and different fabrics different qualities. I was disappointed in mine after hearing good reports on their breathability and especially after not risking to a second-hand one but deciding to go for new. If told it's goretex then that's what you expect you've got but apparently they're not goretex after all. Thanks for your insight.

leon-1

Maybe your insight is the answer. Incidentally why does everybody call them goretex if they are actually '''MVP'', it's a bit misleading to the unknowing, after all you wouldn't call sympatex goretex would you and not everything that breathes is goretex and different fabrics different qualities.

The original / trial versions of jackets, trousers and bivvy bags were made from goretex to a milspec, they had labels from W. L. Gore this means that the fabric was made by Gore industries and as such was part of the Gore textile side of life (hence Gore-Tex), but as with all things once the military have settled on a design they will try and get it at the cheapest price, so the material spec stays the same, but it is made by someone other than Gore industries.

As a result it becomes something other than Gore-Tex, as a trademark name and becomes MVP. It's basically the same thing, but it's made by other company's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE