Thinking of getting a Dutch army hooped bivi... what size?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I bivi a lot anyway, using a Brit army goretex bag and tarp, I have had the bag over ten years and have basically worn out the foot end and it leaks, I have patched it up but really I need to replace.

I am Drawn to the hooped Dutch army bivi (have read all about the fesca zip issues) but not sure whether to get large or x-large.

Large is 2.35m and xl is 2.7m

I am 1.85m and 15stone and unsure what would be the better option, I don’t want extra length for the sake of it but neither do I want to get the wrong size.

I use a 50l pack often so could shove that at the end of either I think, as I would have between 0.5m and 0.8m ‘spare’ space at the foot end for ‘stuff’

People that use these or similar got any real world opinions?
I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos but it doesn’t answer my specific question tbh!

Thanks

Ed

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Your the same height as me but I’am three plus stone south of your racing snake like self, I went for the XL just because I like space pretty much. No issues so far
Just the job for a spot of stealth camping.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Your the same height as me but I’am three plus stone south of your racing snake like self, I went for the XL just because I like space pretty much. No issues so far
Just the job for a spot of stealth camping.

Is the XL a ridiculous amount of space extra or is it ‘okay’
Bear in mind my current set up is a normal British army bivi and my bag stays outside but with a big 60l dry bag inside it so rain on my backpack isn’t an issue.

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Is the XL a ridiculous amount of space extra or is it ‘okay’
Bear in mind my current set up is a normal British army bivi and my bag stays outside but with a big 60l dry bag inside it so rain on my backpack isn’t an issue.
I’ve not the regular to tell you how much bigger it is mate. I bought the regular one for me ex but that was many years ago and I can’t remember how much bigger mine was than hers now. Ridiculous amount of extra space? That’s subjective I guess but I can tell you it’s just right for me

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I’ve not the regular to tell you how much bigger it is mate. I bought the regular one for me ex but that was many years ago and I can’t remember how much bigger mine was than hers now. Ridiculous amount of extra space? That’s subjective I guess but I can tell you it’s just right for me

cool, cheers wil have a shop around (arguable the XL seems harder to find!)

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE