My flint knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
As for the legality of the blade, i say it is legal.

Its a traditional type of blade as made in this country for many hundreds, if not thousands of years. I *do* use it for domestic purposes, as i do the other flint blades i have made.
You should see the looks of amusement from my kids as i cut into a sunday roast to test it out......

Its a tool, im a carpenter and woodcarver by trade. If i want to use flint tools for what i do then so be it. Its justified!

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------------<>

Yes, it all depends on the powers that be classifing it a stealth knife.

If they do, then your profession isn't going to help you, just the same as if you were using an automatic knife, or balisong. They are banned, and your committing an offence.

If they don't, then its a fixed blade, and you just have to have reasonable reason for having it about your person if stopped.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Manufacture of offensive weapons, which includes stealth knives is also an offence.

But as I said previously, the BB thread indicates you shouldn't have any legal problems.

Gailainne

Life Member
All i've done is made a feckin flint knife. Im not selling it, i didnt buy it, and im certainly not
giving it away. It was purely to show my knapping skills. :cussing:

And you know what, im gonna make more. Big sharp ones! :p

LOL Good for you, Really like your "Stealth" blade and the sheath, couple of questions if I may;

How big a tang did you leave, is it just the length of the nettle cordage (very nice btw)

On your sheath did you use pine resin to seal it ? it seems to be made up of individual rings, what bonds them together.

Dont dispair, most of us are "fairly" normal and appreciate traditional skills :rolleyes:

Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually it's a valid point. I work for Historic Scotland at times and recently did a programme of Bronze and Iron Age activities in schools for them..........you should have seen the hassle I got over flint blades.

I don't care if technically it 'is' legal, might I advise not getting irritated with any policeman who decides to call you on it, :rolleyes: I just enthuse about the material properties, the craftsmanship, the long provenance.............;)

Beautiful work though :approve:

I butchered a chicken in a classroom using a flint knife last year, they're really, really good. Kids were fascinated by a stone knife.

We get away with wearing sgian dubhs and dirks as part of our National dress up here.......maybe the English could claim a flint knife :dunno: :D

cheers,
Toddy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I've never, ever had anyone go on about the legality of flintknapping or making flint knives before. Bit strange that in my world!

The sheath is made from 2 layers of birchbark, and yes, glued with pine pitch.
The tang is about two and a half inches long, so goes into the antler, making the knife stronger and is set into the red deer antler with more pine resin.

The nettle wrap is about forteen inches long, set with resin again, just to finish the look of it all.

Andy :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
This is a really beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Regardless what the legal position, you have to admire the work that went into making this knife, and all with natural material. Well done. :beerchug:

Did you make nettle cord or just used the fibres as they are?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I think its an excellent knife, and extremely well made,and take my hat off to you for producing such a fine piece.

Also i don't think there was any need for all the illegal rubbish on the thread,as its not as if its going to be carried to town for a friday night out,

Some people:(

Bernie

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I think its an excellent knife, and extremely well made,and take my hat off to you for producing such a fine piece.

Also i don't think there was any need for all the illegal rubbish on the thread,as its not as if its going to be carried to town for a friday night out,

Some people:(

Bernie

Not sure what your fright nights have to do with anything. :confused:

A stealth knife is illegal any night or day of the week.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do agree the knife is a goodie, and the skill set needed is admirable, but I didn't carry mine around on a Friday night either and it got comments.

Never thought of flint as a stealth knife though, and yet I had thought that of a glass one :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Anyway, cheers for your comments folks.

It was made in the spirit of traditional crafts and techniques, not as a stealth knife!
I might look like a caveman, but im not going to be boarding any aircraft with it on my person!

You should see the prehistoric archery kit i made, now thats deadly :lmao:

Andy >>>>>----------------------------------<>

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a hope :lmao:
The Banshee is bright yellow (30lb draw) and the Vortex is some kind of psychadelic bush paint job :rolleyes: (60lbs draw)

The only way to stealth them would be to pretend they were some part of the frame for a techno bike :D

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Excellent work, shame about the negative posts but you should be mighty proud of that. I've tried my hand at flint knapping at this years' Moot. John Lord was fashioning a hand axe and made it all look so simple that I thought I understood the process. When I sat down with flint and hammer stone to start, I realised that I didn't have a clue!

Being the sort of guys they are though, John and Will would get stuck in and give help to anybody needing it (which was most of us!) and the quality time you got with both of them has made me want to go on one of their courses for a day to spend and get some really good one on one tuition. After reading Johns' book, I feel I have a slightly better understanding of why flint does what it does when it is worked. Still, there is one thing understanding it and another thing putting it into practise. It's a skill I would certainly like to be proficient at.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
It really is a case of practising. Saying that though, with all the tuition i've had, i still cant make a decent large handaxe! Its just nice to sit there and figure thing out, a timeless art.
Appart from holding period artifacts its the closest i can be to the mindset of a prehistoric person.

I wish i had the time to do more......

Andy >>>>>---------------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE