My flint knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Excellent final product. I can supply you with a nice shoulder holster sheath for it if you want. Might be a nice way to cut sausages at the pub....laugh out loud.

Seriously though, I've tried knapping myself, and I really do appreciate how difficult it is to produce nice facets. (if that's the right word). What kind of knapping tools did you use/make? Care to post a pic? I've tried the pressure flaking method with home made copper tools, but I can't imagine trying to do what you just did with billets only....

Cheers,
D

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I like the idea of the shoulder holster! Maybe you could do something for the stealth birch bark pots i make as well ;)

I'll take some pix of my knapping kit in a while, its nothing fancy, some bought in bits and some pressure flakers i made my self, more like Ishi sticks really :)

Andy >>>>>--------------------------------<>

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
HA!....while we are at it...can you paint the blade black to reduce reflections while sneaking up on the sentry?

I would love to see your knapping kit. It's always great to see what others have done, and I have just discovered this site in the past week.

Excellent reference, and seems to be full of really nice blokes too.

Cheers,
D

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Ok, heres my knapping kit. The only things that aint shown are the pebbles i use as hammer stones and the abrader i use (another pebble).

zDSCF0608.jpg

zDSCF0609.jpg

Some other little bits pictured as well, a few axes i made, including a polished stone axe,
various arrow heads, a discoidal knife and a tanged blade.

Gailainne

Life Member
Really nice pieces, the stone axe is a beaut, must have taken a while !

I've read on other sites about using copper nails mounted in wood, as a pressure flaker, never tried it tho.

Of the 4 manmade tubes on the left, what are the 2 in the middle, from the rough ends they look like they are used as a hammer is that right ?

The 2 flint leaf shaped blades to the right of those are wonderfully thin, nice stuff.

I have to echo Spams comments about the the flint knapping at the Moot, with John and Will.

I had met Will the year before, but unfortunately missed out on the course, Addo, LED and myself were talking to him afterwards, and he sat us down and after a long days training, spent over an hour with us showing us various techniques, says a lot about the man.

Stephen

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Those are called "copper boppers". A modern variation on antler hammers.
John and Will Lord really are the business when it comes to prehistoric tools. I wish both of them would put more down on paper and on dvd's. They are truly skilled!!!

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Thanks for the pictures - they speak volumes.

Right of the bat, I realize that my copper pressure flakers (really just brazing rod in an old piece of hockey stick --I am in Canada after all--- are far too short. My handles are only about 4" long, and yours appear to be much longer.

Also, I was trying to use small cobbles as "boppers", but they did not generate enough force (controllable force).

Don't have any flint on hand at the moment, but I do have some nice beer bottles that need emptying....the bottoms are great places to start knapping.

Cheers - and thanks for the warm welcome.

D

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Beer bottle glass is good for pressure flaking, as is tv glass. Antler tines make good pressure flakers, you can even use the end of a pointy stick thats been hardened in the fire.

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE