My First Steps in Leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I meant one of these:
s-l1600.jpg

And don't forget the pricking irons!

K

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Why do I need that tool ? Yes I have pricking irons , by the way here's a new project a leather sheath for my mora heavy duty , everything went excellent until I realized I forgot the welt 😔 I has half way do and couldn't do anything about it , I got disappointed rather than having an awesome sheath I ended up with a regular cheap looking one , the welt is so important I just realized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I didn't have any more D rings so I used a dangler belt loop I already had

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Nice work mate :)

I could with a dangler, for my Condor sheath, might have a go at making one, after seeing this.

Trotsky

4b1f791571a012f0eacc98924a761e84.jpg
3a10e06de0178ab2ff8d58cd96993f4c.jpg

That is some very nice work, I know I would be very happy with that. Is the sheath still soft or have your hardened the leather at all? I've just recently made myself a wet moulded holster/pouch for my Svord Peasant mini knife, my first serious project with wet moulding and I learnt a lot. I'll post a picture to hopefully inspire you to give wet moulding another try as it's quite satisfying. The pictures of your work certainly inspire me to carry on with my leathercraft, it would be nice to share ideas.

IMG_20160918_215834.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
That is some very nice work, I know I would be very happy with that. Is the sheath still soft or have your hardened the leather at all? I've just recently made myself a wet moulded holster/pouch for my Svord Peasant mini knife, my first serious project with wet moulding and I learnt a lot. I'll post a picture to hopefully inspire you to give wet moulding another try as it's quite satisfying. The pictures of your work certainly inspire me to carry on with my leathercraft, it would be nice to share ideas.

View attachment 42021

Thanks ! Wow your work looks so professional ! Yes I really like wet molded leather stuff but mine didnt came out as I thought it would but I'll give it a try again , in near future.
If I have not forgotten the welt it would be way better.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
3725f3c3f69097771e008b8660b6c01c.jpg
0c21d26daf678a11fbe43444a05a4a52.jpg
dd7256e07acf82949703cb4119b8f863.jpg
3b0f7505d76237510d3c42e97d2180b5.jpg

So It turned out my leather was not veg tanned and that's why I had problems with wet forming it , this is my first success in wet forming leather , next time I'll know that I have to ask for veg tanned one :) Still needs some burnishing and I'll also wax it after I get home , fit I a little tight but it will get better over time , I love it , what do you think ? 😊

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Oh and the black line on the front was left after I wet the top side to fold it , any way I can fix it without paint?

Nov 14, 2016
Norwich
Been reading through the thread and great work! :) leather is fun...

In terms of the black line/water stain, it depends on the dye you used. Water based might smudge out with a dampened cloth but its unlikely and definitely tricky not to just move the stain round a bit. Oil based dye leaves you with not much choice other than to leave it or re-dye it as far as I'm aware. Either way, I'd just embrace it and get a nice patina on it; let time do its thing. :p

After all, if you really really don't like it, then I guess it can be a reminder of a lesson learned :') but I quite like it personally.

Again, nice work; glad you're enjoying it and thanks for sharing!

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Made a belt today , spent the whole day burnishing the edges also finished the day with an axe collar for my hultafors classic felling axe , guess what's next? yep a matching axe mask. also how do you like the color of hit ? did small amount of dying with shoe dye , can't get anything else, the alcohol based cant be shipped over here...

a54749a44d56.jpg

fd36a60363ec.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Wet formed opinel belt sheath , ferro rod belt loop and wet formed cudeman sheath , my problem was the sheath with it it didnt fit any of my belts so now I will carry it more often :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Made a Bahco laplander sheath and a ferro rod with belt loop , 35-40 year old boxwood root handle with turkish walnut and 5 inch ferro rod, now that you can see my progress guys , am I getting better ? Thanks !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE