My First Steps in Leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Copied from Horse and Hound.

Another point is all you are trying to do is replace the fat that was once naturally in the hide when it was living, you don't need all these polishes and silicones that are artificially added to some of the commercial products, the polishes seal the fibres too much and don't allow the hide to breathe or asorb any further conditioner.
The true craft of the currier is old fashioned fats and waxes as well as hard work to do it thoroughly!
When I get any saddlery it that needs tlc as it's filthy dirty, covered in horse grease and rock hard I get a bucket of fairly warm water with fairy liquid in and scrub the leather with a soft brush or sponge, the soap gets all the grease off and dirt, then chuck it in clean warm water to rinse, hang it up until it's still damp but not soaking wet then apply the leather conditioner and follow above instructions.
I never use saddle soap, fairy liquid is better, just remember, you have removed alot of grease from the leather by cleaning it that way so you HAVE to replace it afterwards with conditioner, if you don't it will go even harder and crack, Oz

Home made leather conditioner (traditional) recipe:
My own recipe is a secret one I have perfected over many years but what I will give you a basic one, get hold of any beef fat (I make my own tallow but you can use beef dripping), beeswax and some lard (pig fat, again I make my own), do roughly a 50% beef fat, 25 % beeswax and 25% lard, melt it down and mix it thoroughly.
Let it set, when you use it if it has melted because the weather is warm, shove it in the fridge for 10-20 mins to get the right consistency.
When conditioning the leather, wipe it with a warm wet cloth (just warm water) and whilst still wet/damp get some conditioner on your fingers, the heat from your hand and your fingers are by far the best way to apply any conditioner, it's a mucky job but forget sponges, cloths or brushes at this stage!
By putting the water on first it acts as a medium that aids the penetration of the fats right into the fibres of the hide.
The flesh side of the hide is far more porous than the grain side,try to imagine a funnel shape to the fibre with the wide open mouth end as the flesh side (flesh side is the underside where the flesh used to be) so allow a little more conditioner that side, you don't need alot anyway as it goes a long way.
Rub it all over and massage it into the hide, then leave it to dry naturally in a dry room and not in any sunlight or near artifcial heat,it can take 3 days or more to dry out and be asorbed into the hide, depends how much you use!
When it's dry, then get a lint free cloth, I use old bath towels cut up, the bobbly bits of the towelling act like a polishing stone and this is where it gets hard work, you need alot of elbow grease.
It's basically good old fashioned saddlers grease which most saddlers, leatherworkers and cobblers would have made years ago and none of the commercially made rubbish you get today.
The idea is to rub the hide fast and fairly hard, not too hard to scratch it, the friction heats up any fats you have left on the hide (the white stuff) and gets it further into the fibres to add to the already asorbed conditioner that you put on it a few days before.
Lastly, this where it looks like I am contradicting myself about saying not to use oil on hides but I do, I use cod liver oil (NEVER neatsfoot which quite frankly is rubbish)and wring a cotton cloth out in the cod liver oil so almost dry and put a very LIGHT film on both sides of the hide,wipe off any surplus and give it another gentle polish to buff it up with a bit of clean, dry bath towel, you are merely giving it a final dressing with the cod liver oil NOT conditioning or feeding it, it also gives the hide back it's leathery smell, a good trick of the trade to know if you sell second hand saddlery or leather, people love the smell of leather!
When completed you should have hide that is fairly stuffed full of fat and wax which is what it was designed for and it will have a nice bloom/shine to it, it should feel slightly moist/clammy but not sticky, if it is sticky you need to rub it more, it should feel heavier too.The conditioning will act as a rain barrier to keep the wet out.
Sorry for long post but I think it's worth mentioning all this.
Happy polishing!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
blimey, that may be copied from Horse and Hound but speaking as someone who spent many many hours cleaning horse tack, what a load of nonsense!

If you wet the leather, it stops oils and fats from penetrating. Oil and water don't mix. So sure, scrub the leather clean (horse tack, which is all the leather gear worn by the horse) gets sweaty, muddy and very dirty) using soap and water. But then you need to dry it before applying any oil, wax or fat.

Neatsfoot oil is not rubbish. I've used it a lot. Taken dried up, cracked grey leather and brought it to a lovely soft brown sheen. Taken ten minutes or so, not days. When you are dealing with enough tack for several hundred horses (I grew up on a horse stud), you don't have days.

However, the advice about blending beeswax and some sort of beef tallow is probably fine. If it were me I'd probably look to thin it down and I might well try adding some kerosene. Just a very little amount.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
:lmao: I do a little leatherwork, and use a little Neatsfoot, I have no idea about cleaning tack, except what I read. It just goes to show , don't believe all you read. Thanks for the headsup. :D

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Thanks for your advice guys !

So I was sitting and thinking what could I do now , I remember that this mora plastic sheaths dont fit my Russian officer belt , I didn't have enough leather to make a sheath , but until I will make one I thought I would make a quick dangler , so with small scrap piece of leather , 2 rivets and one screw , I came up with this , it fits the belt very well and it doesn't come off, what do you guys think ?

c51acbf660d3.jpg

0f6b91e542c3.jpg

7d7d564aa709.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Good diy solution! Well done.
Only design improvement could be attaching a button from an old jacket or pair of jeans to the leather hoop. As the the Mora sheath has a button attachment (on the removable attachments)...
Otherwise, may I suggest you turn the screw around and have the nut facing outwards and the screw head towards your leg for comfortable fit.
:)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Crickey, I am with mrcharly on this. What a load of rubbish, when was that written? When people had grooms to spend all day cleaning tack?
Never get your leather gear soaking wet (unless you get caught out in the rain)
I also grew up with horses and have been cleaning tack forever. Just clean with warm water (I don't use liquid soap) then apply your conditioner. I use glycerine saddle soap, hydrophane, Aussie leather conditioner, sometimes neatsfoot oil. Depends.

I hesitated to answer this as the last time I mentioned saddle soap I was shot down by someone who had looked it up on wickepedia. So much for years of experience cleaning tack and making leather work.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I made this new leather bottle carry with belt loop , my bush belt kit is almost complete :)
I picked up some dye , it has really bad smell and I didn't liked it but I still used it on my belt , I will post the before and after picture when it dries , the guys you sells leather told me the name but I forgot and the guy who sells rivets tricked me to buy this.
I have some leather left to make a mora sheath and a sheath for my bahco laplander and my bush belt will be complete , waiting for July to buy stitch groover , edge beveler and those fork punches to stitch do I need anything more ? of course I have needles and thread oh I also bought few D rings to make dangler sheaths for mora and bahco.
The funny thing is that this people are selling this stuff for generations and the guy didn't know which punch was for regular rivets and which one was for hollow rivets :D
I also picked up rivet punch , hole punch and this best quality russian rivets :)

d1ff1c292f4a.jpg

3ff6549432f9.jpg

19796542226a.jpg

the bottle carrier is make in a way it can fit bigger bottles ( I plan to buy a kleen canteen bottle)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Here is the before and after , it came out not bad , I had natural beeswax candle and I rubbed it on the belt with a cloth
Also changed the rivets because they were deformed while punched because of my father didnt have a punch when he repaired it to me years ago

e8697da25a6a.jpg

74fb21deb0e6.jpg

Trotsky

You're turning out some good practical work there and you seem to be really enjoying yourself too, in that you've encompassed the whole reason for doing any hobby or craft.
If you fancy trying something different you could try wet moulding leather too. Keep up the good work!

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
You're turning out some good practical work there and you seem to be really enjoying yourself too, in that you've encompassed the whole reason for doing any hobby or craft.
If you fancy trying something different you could try wet moulding leather too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks ! I was not quite enjoying it those 4 hours stitching but I enjoy it now , I love it.
I tried to wet mold it but you see how it came out , not quite the sharp shape I wanted but , I dont complain still love it :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm so glad your needles arrived and you're enjoying them! Rivets, studs, poppers and all other soft metal fasteners should be used sparingly.

The following is intended as helpful and not criticism:

1. Consider developing your pattern making skills as this is the time to make adjustments to the scale and design of any article. It also avoids frustration and waste. First make the pattern on paper and use those expandable shapes and lines etc. to be found on any PC. Once happy with layout, transfer to semi-rigid plastic for the final templates. You can use these to cut out leather without need to apply markings. The raised edge of the plastic helps guide the knife.

2. When funds permit purchase an edge crease.

3. Practice your edge burnishing on off cuts. Anyone can apply Edge Cote but in my opinion a hand burnished edge looks far smarter but makes it more difficult to disguise imperfections and over use of impact adhesive etc.

All the best

K

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm so glad your needles arrived and you're enjoying them! Rivets, studs, poppers and all other soft metal fasteners should be used sparingly.

The following is intended as helpful and not criticism:

1. Consider developing your pattern making skills as this is the time to make adjustments to the scale and design of any article. It also avoids frustration and waste. First make the pattern on paper and use those expandable shapes and lines etc. to be found on any PC. Once happy with layout, transfer to semi-rigid plastic for the final templates. You can use these to cut out leather without need to apply markings. The raised edge of the plastic helps guide the knife.

2. When funds permit purchase an edge crease.

3. Practice your edge burnishing on off cuts. Anyone can apply Edge Cote but in my opinion a hand burnished edge looks far smarter but makes it more difficult to disguise imperfections and over use of impact adhesive etc.

All the best

K

Thanks for the advice ! Yeah when I made the axe mask I first made a template , but now I comletely forgot about it and I had big amount of scrape peace leather left , thanks for reminding me that ! yes I need to buy a edge beveler and stitch groover and a V gouge , waiting for funds to buy it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE