My First Steps in Leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I made this two items , the sheath only need a snap as you see which I dont have , so I have to take it to someone who will make it for me :)
How do they look ? I will post more pictures of future project and how this ones progress in future.
Take in mind that I dont have any leatherworking tools , everything improvised :)

0ace3fc1cc59.jpg

25db9d714d50.jpg

62e37e0d0e83.jpg

My future project ideas are home and backpack strop , ferro rod sheath and axe handle guard.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Simple, clean lines, functional - what's not to like! Great job, especially considering it is your first foray into leatherwork.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So my leather working continues , this time I made an axe collar and a strop.
I made an improvised lathe and improvised burnisher
I carved a 2x2 on round shape pushed a small hole , screwed a screw till the middle and put it in a drill , I dont have a chisel so I took a wire/nail cutter which has a kind of sharpened edge on on side but nothing fancy and I started to chisel out wood , so when I had a "burnisher" I put beeswax on leather and smoothed the edges, It came out good I think :)

c90515ce588e.jpg

40a7c2888c3d.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Cracking job, well done.

Thanks !

New one guys :)
After I posted the pictures I thought what else could I made , so I got an idea to make a sheath for my ferro rod , this is how it came out :)
the frond side is still wet and the ferro rod when it really snug , I will leave it in for the night , hope it will be good tomorrow :)

646955c7b0f6.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
The snaps have finally arrived ! now I can officially announce that my first axe sheath is ready :)
I am really happy with it. I am thinking of taking a sharpie and going on the edges with it to make it black , but will it be painted , because the edges are burnished ?

7436fd3715c3.jpg

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So recently I traveled all the way to the other end of the city in such heat I almost died on the road , to buy some leather , it was 4 pm and the only guy who sales genuine thick leather was closed :( So I had to come back , by the way I bought a whole punch , rivets and thread.
So today I remembered that I have a pouch in which I had my brass used 20 gauge bullets , so I wanted to convert it into a belt pouch , it came out pretty nice I like it very much.
One question : as you see on the place where leather bends it is a little hard and has this lines you will see in picture I dont know how its called Is there a way I can make it soft again ? (it is quite old from USSR army)

Also it had holes on the front , I dont know what was there earlier , but I had a small bear hide piece from the old bear hide I have in my house which I was gifted by my godfather 20 years ago

2be7c704de5c.jpg
3ec0625ae14a.jpg
ad9e01fbaaa8.jpg
ebaaccb67eb8.jpg
a5b5a6ff71ac.jpg
65bdfd6bb784.jpg
22d46576db6f.jpg
5361ab96fc17.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The best stuff to soften leather is an oil used for horse saddles and other leather work on horse. I guess you probably don't have access to that.

Can anyone suggest recipes for making up something similar? I think maybe some suitable oil and melted beeswax might work.

If you have some scrap leather you could experiment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE