My First Sporran!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Well not exactly bushcraft related I know but i'm pretty pleased with the result and the recipient seems so too (though he could be lieing to save my feelings:rolleyes: )

dscf1744jc3.jpg

dscf1752wo3.jpg

appologies for the poor photos btw (it is VERY shiny! :eek: ) - Now I have insisted (of course) that he provide me with evidence of it in use so assuming I can get that photographically i'll post the result.

My 'client' (read colleague at work) wanted something relativlty plain but individual so the celtic knot was decided upon and was stitched into the top.

There are a few things I have learnt from this project and would do differently next time so please critique as you see fit - it will all go to help the next project be that little better!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
BTW - Thanks to Mary (Toddy) and Farquhar (JFW) who provided help in the design :You_Rock_ (I would never have thought of the 'groovy buckle' otherwise :D )

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Eric_Methven said:
Ooooh! I like that. How does the buckle work?

Eric

Doh! :banghead: - I knew I should have taken a piccie of that......... hold on i'll pop round to his desk and ask to 'borrow it back' a mo ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ok the buckle is one of those - 'of course!, its so simple why diddn't I think of that before!' things so here are more piccies, first of

the back .......

dscf1756oi6.jpg

and then a close up of the 'buckle' .......

dscf1757yk3.jpg

you kinda thread it through and it locks itself pretty snugly! - I might be trying this for a belt for my jeans! ;)

hope this clarifies the simplicity (and by jove does it need to be simple! :rolleyes: )

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Graham,

that is really nice work and a great interpretation. I can see a lot more uses than just a sporran to wear with a kilt. Remember that the sporran was just a possibles pouch containing essential items for your average highlander, rather than having to rake through all the pockets created when he draped his plaid.

Nice one

JFW

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Dougster said:
I have a funny feeling your friend is not sparing your feelings! Fantastic work.

Would you be interested in marketing those?

Lol - I think you are just being too kind....

and marketing!? :lmao: - I may make some more if people ask but I don't see a career change in the near future though ;)

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
that's a really nice bit of leatherwork. Oddly enough, over the last two weeks I'd been thinking about buying a sporran, after seeing a really nice antique Black Watch jobbie in a militaria shop. It's really just a possibles pouch and the one I was looking at would fit nicely onto a shoilder strap to wear across my chest with fire lighting kit etc in. I had thought of making one myself, but after seeing your masterly efforts, I'll go back to seeing if i can pick up a second hand one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE